- Lanikai vacation reviews
1 - 100 of 153
Lanikai vacation reviews
- A great time had by all. The house is gorgeous and well appointed. Family and friends enjoyed themselves.
Iwalani S., San Marcos, CA, 9.28.16
- Everything was perfect from the time I booked (9 months ago) to our departure. The house was immaculate and I received updates and clear check-in instructions. The property managers ensured everything was in order and ready for us. I will definitely stay again and recommend to friends. Thanks again!
Season R., Elko, NV, 8.19.16
- Lanikai Beach Bungalow is one of the best places I have stayed on the island. Customer service was outstanding. Great location to walk to town and beaches or to get away from it all. The best part of this trip was the morning swim and then coffee with my friends, tue honu, and the Mokes. I will definitely rent with Aloha Beachfront rentals again.
Shana B., Richmond, CA, 7.26.16
- This property is the best property we have rented from all of the properties rented in the past. It was perfect. Great location, the kitchen had all the supplies we needed to cook at home, all of the amenities were there and the pool and outdoor area was spectacular. We will most certainly be back.
John B., 6.14.16
- Such a lovely place to stay. Being right beside the ocean was just perfect. There is plenty of room to move both inside and outside the house - and it was fabulous that we could open all of the large doors and hear the ocean and feel the breeze throughout the house! Thank you so much for such a wonderful stay!
Amanda S., Hornsby, 5.31.16
- Where do I start? We did not have access to a review of the property when we rented so I was anxious about the property before we got there. We were very impressed by the property when we got there. we called the propery manager from the airport who gave us instructions on how to get in. The property manager met us within a few minutes but not before we got a ticket for parking on the road in front of the property as parking is very restricted in the neighbourhood. The house and grounds with the large pool in the yard were very clean. Everything is tastefully decorated. The beds are very comfortable and two of the bedrooms are air conditioned. The most awesome aspect of the property is the open covered lanai between the three buildings with one of the dinning areas, day beds and a large screen tv all overlooking the large pool. In the evenings the pool and garden are lit up making a magical view. The kitchen was very well equipped and the beds were very comfortable with high end bedding. If we did not want to hang out at the pool the beach was across the street and down a short lane way. Lanika beach is a pleasant half an hour stroll down to the end of the beach to the rocks that was not crowded even over a busy Easter weekend. It is rated one of the best beaches on Oahu for a good reason. We travelled to other beaches and did not find its equal. shopping is close in Kailua with all the usual grocery stores and shops. We can recommend Bookends as a great bookstore with awesome customer service! The short falls were that we are from a quiet part of the world so ear plugs were needed some nights due to neighbour noise and there are no curtains so I needed my eye patches as the sun is up at 6:00 am and we did not want to be. The best part was the pool in the backyard and being across the road from the beach a great location for ohau We would totally rent this propery again. It is a beautiful property that suited our family of four with two teenagers but would equally suit three couples.
Irena E., Calgary, AB, 3.30.16
- Loved every minute! Clean, good customer service, definitely want to return and will recommend to friends. Loved being able to walk in to Kailua. Beaches were beautiful.
Carl C., Aptos, CA, 2.15.16
- Kepola (and her husband) were very attentive to our needs and made sure our visit to Lanikai was wonderful. The house is right on the water, and we were able to swim right out back when it wasn't high tide. There are rocks in the water but we wore "water shoes" and they worked fine. The house is not updated but is a good house for the beach area because you don't have to worry as much about being in wet bathing suits or dragging some sand into the house. It had all we needed for supplies in the kitchen and beach toys and towels. The pool is also a really nice amenity, although we swam in the ocean more of the time. We cooked in most nights and enjoyed the expansive view of the ocean. Kepola's husband even provided kayaks for us, right to the door (for an additional fee). Access to the beach is a few houses down the road, but very easy to get to. We even had my 92 year old mother-in-law with us and she uses a walker and got around the house just fine. One bedroom and bathroom have separate entrances from the main part of the house, but our son stayed in that room. We would definitely rent the house again, and it rained almost everyday while we were there!
Anne L., Centennial, CO, 1.31.16
- The property was perfect for our family! The fences around the pool and sea wall made it safe for the young one, and Shane the property manager was so friendly and helpful. Bronson the agent helped us find this wonderful property, and we didn't want to leave! The sounds of the waves, swimming at Lanakai and Kailua beach, mountain and ocean views...perfect! The Moya family Bar Harbor , Maine
Frank M., Bar Harbor, ME, 1.16.16
- Loved the location! Sitting out and watching the waves and being able to see the Mokes and Flat Island is great. We could paddle out directly from the house to Flat Island. Traffic in Lanikai is getting bad, which makes leaving the house in late afternoon tricky. Recommend renting bicycles. Beach chairs/boogie boards/grill, etc. were great House had a lot of space. Property Manager was very attentive to any problem. We didn't have hot water in 2 showers and it was remedied within a day or 2. Kitchen could use a little updating, dishwasher was functional, but just barely. Need to have recycling can inside house. Would love to see a guest notebook giving house helpful hints about garbage/recycling/plumbing issues, etc. Also a place where guests can write their own experiences and recommendations. We will be back again! Thanks so much!
Carrie R., Greenwood Village, CO, 1.10.16
- This is an exquisite house and land setting. The perimeter is very secure and you easily enter a relaxing and beautiful home and outdoor area. The living area is a wonderful mix of fine interior, outdoor covered patio, pool and the backyard area. The art is lovely and island appropriate. We spent most of our time inside the compound as the outside of Lani Kai is very busy... especially with President Obama in town!! Nevertheless, Lani Kai's magical beach is a few steps away across the street. We were glad NOT to be staying right on the beach. Would love to return to this restful and luxurious spot in the future.
Steve R., Seattle, WA, 1.4.16
- Great place for a family getaway! We love bed the ocean breezes, short walk to the beach & pool! The place was well equipped for cooking as well as beach and pool gear. We would definitely stay again!
Jill M., Forest Hill, MD, 8.17.15
- I have stayed here several times & it is very convenient to the beach with easy access into town. Lots of windows & doors along with the ceiling fans make the place nice & breezy. Very clean, simple & comfortable!
Kyle D., West Covina, CA, 5.20.15
- The Ocean House Studio is perfect! This cozy cottage is a dream rental located perfectly in Lanikai and steps away from the beach! It was simple, tidy and clean. The customer service and management was excellent in making our stay full of hospitality and pure aloha. We would definitely book again! Our other friends and families have booked other rentals through alohabeachfrontrentals.com with much satisfaction and happiness with their stay. We will continue to refer to more friends and family. We loved staying here!!!
Christine B., Carlsbad, CA, 5.17.15
- Loved staying here. There's nothing better than falling asleep and waking up to the ocean breeze and the sound of waves. We saw turtles swimming every day. We will definitely come back!
Glenda S., Sydney, 5.11.15
- Hale Maluia was even more beautiful when we arrived! The lawn near the pool was bigger than anticipated and the privacy was perfection. The house really had everything we needed...can't wait to go back!!
Holley D., Vancouver, WA, 4.28.15
- Very nice and affordable unit. Guest services were very friendly and gave us lots of tips on things to do and basic local knowledge. Studio was very clean and had all the amenities we needed. The main house was not occupied so we were given permission to use the beachside lawn and deck. We enjoyed morning sunrise and sitting out on the deck in the afternoons after our day or sightseeing. We would recommend to others and look forward to coming back.
Thomas C., 4.9.15
- Although we can't fault the location or the price, and the owner was very nice, we had too many issues with the rental to want to recommend Ocean House Studio. "Rustic" is certainly an accurate description, as would be "Spartan." What little furniture there is is so shabby and rickety that we were hesitant to us it. The disintegrating bamboo carpet is a trip hazard. There is no dresser or nightstand and we had to provide our own coat hangers, bath mat, basic kitchen supplies and kleenex ( to be fair, the owner was happy to supply us with these items when she returned from off island, but by then we had obtained our own). The twin beds were thin mattresses on wooden platforms covered with sleazy rayon sheets that were so uncomfortably clammy that we went to Goodwill and bought cotton replacements, which we left on departure. The rental is subject to a serious termite infestation, each morning we'd find evidence of their activities in the bathroom sink and shower stall and under the beds. We also were visited by cockroaches, which found their way into the unit via gaps between the floorboards, some wide enough to see daylight through. Although the rental description clearly states that parking is included, we were instructed to park on the street, because the people renting the other, much more expensive unit on the property needed all the spaces for their cars. They also took up most of the street parking as well, forcing my wife and I to park far down the road, which is narrow and heavily travelled. Our neighbors with too many cars partied loudly and continually until long after midnight for most of the time we were there despite requests to tone it down. Finally, unlike most other beach rental we've encountered, this one has no provision for laundry, just a line hung under the eaves where there was little sun to dry wet bathing suits, but perfect exposure to the rain. There are other inexpensive alternatives to Ocean House Studio, and renters are advised to seek them.
Evan S., Portland, OR, 3.30.15
- Very nice. Clean, quiet, Amazing views. Only criticism: couldn't find a sponge or scrub brush for cleaning up in the kitchen.
Andrew M., New York, NY, 3.23.15
- This was one of the most amazing beach houses we have stayed at. Only suggestion would be to have a throw to put over the white couches. I covered them so the kids wouldn't get them dirty. It was extremely well equipped with everything you need for the beach. Steven was wonderful. I would definatly rent it again.
Valerie M., Mesa, AZ, 3.21.15
- Loved the house. It was big, the bathrooms were abundant and it was a great property. The only complaint I had was that the picture when I procured the property was different than the real-life thing. It showed the house directly off the beach where you could walk out into the ocean and in reality, it had a 6 foot wall before the beach and you had to walk down the street about 8 houses to get to the beach. Other than that, it was perfect. It wasn't as clean as I would have preferred but with 20 people in the rental, it didn't stay clean anyway. The booking agent was great until I paid for the property and then I had a hard time getting her to respond to me. The property manager was perfect and she was there when we needed her and responded to our concerns when we had them. Our overall satisfaction was a 4. Thanks for a great trip. I would recommend this to anyone.
Maureen B., St. George, UT, 3.18.15
- Perfect location with all the comforts of home but even better.
Sandra M., Phoenix, AZ, 3.14.15
- Firstly overall the house is perfect if you have older children and generations of families or more than one family staying together - the main house has one large bedroom and bath. the other rooms are outside and so give great opportunity for private space. There are a lot of options for other private or communal space with seating areas so everyone can be together without feeling on top of each other. The location is fabulous - we have stayed in Lanikai and Kailua on several occasions - normally we have a lot of peace and quiet - Christmas week was very different - traffic into and out of Lanikai was terrible and it took a long time to get in and out - volume of traffic and the President being in town probably were the contributing factors. As with any rental there are things we would have liked to have seen differently. We were not met at the property which was surprising so it took a while for us to locate things and figure out a few hitches (no hot water/leaking bath tub etc). However the agent was helpful over the phone and someone did fix things promptly. Pool was incredibly cold and was not usable - although very clean! we understand this is the winter months but you just couldn't get close to using it. Not enough Towels in the property - we did wash them every couple of days but would have been nice to have some extras. Bedding in the room with the twin beds was worn and the elastic gone - couldn't keep it on the mattress overnight. I would rent the house again - the layout and location made it spectacular.
Karen M., Pleasanton, CA, 1.4.15
- Great space for the price! Right on the beach and close to some great hikes. Studio was super clean and the property manager was very helpful and accommodating. I would definitely recommend the studio.
Deidre H., Burley, WA, 8.14.14
- This is our family's third consecutive stay at Hale Maluhia. We have had three great summer vacations there.
Vanessa C., 7.31.14
- The Ocean House was very clean, charming, comfortable and immensely enjoyable. We had a very large group of 21 and it met our needs perfectly. The house is deceptively large with plenty of beds, bathrooms and spaces for privacy. The kitchen was spacious and well stocked and there were plenty of towels and beach towels. The large, open dining area with a stunning ocean view was perfect for gathering, socializing and having fun. Aside from the beach being right outside the back lanai, there was a grill and picnic table in the front area. The location on the beach with things to do nearby in Lani Kai and Kailua was perfect. I really cannot say enough good things.
Tammy B., Honolulu, HI, 5.18.14
- The Ocean House Studio was very comfortable and immensely enjoyable. We rented the studio in addition to the Ocean View house. With two ceiling fans, its own full bathroom, a kitchenette, a dining table and its own television, it was a perfect getaway for naps, relaxing, etc. It was also spotlessly clean. The two single beds made it more ideal for two separate adults then for a couple. The location on the beach and also being near things to do in Lani Kai and Kailua was perfect.
Tammy B., Honolulu, HI, 5.18.14
- This was a beautiful property with a lovely yard, and spacious pool with great sun exposure and also very sheltered. The home was clean, well equipped with all necessary amenities/appliances, and had comfortable beds. The views of the beach from the home were fabulous. The location on the beach could not have been better - what a fantastic setting. Being right on the beach was the best part. Only complaint is the key lock box system requiring one to go through the patio door to relock the front door after entering. As well, the inability to lock the back door (as no key provided) was a drawback. The service we received was excellent and we were very satisfied with everyone we dealt with. We certainly would recommend this to a friend and hope to stay here again ourselves. Thank you for a wonderful experience.
Mark B., St. John's, NL, 4.29.14
- Hello, The house was really beautiful and well equipt. It was comfortable and had everything we needed. I thought the showers could have been updated to new taps & it would have been handy to have a layout of the house as the bedrooms are very spread out. we were travelling with our 2 year old son. we couldn't have him in his own room because it was too far away from ours so if he woke in the night we wouldn't have heard him. For this reason he slept in our room and it wasn't ideal. Other than that the location, house, everything was great. Weather was disappointing as it was super windy the whole time we hardly went to the beach. Thanks so much.
Deborah S., Avalon, 4.21.14
- Loved the bungalow! It was amazing being right on the water watching sea turtles feeding right out front. Also nice to have just a short walk to Lanikai (the beach access is about 8 houses away) and 5-10 minutes to Kailua. We were able to launch our paddleboard from the house at low tide. The bungalow is an older, character home with amazing sliding doors that open the inside to the outside. It was very spacious, much more than the photos suggest. The VRA team was great on check in and check out. The dishes and amenities are adequate but not "high end". There were loads of sand toys, boogie boards, snorkles, masks, etc. The house had everything we needed for a great family vacation.
Elizabeth R., Vancouver, BC, 4.10.14
- I had originally booked a different house and then was forced to change a week before arrival -- I was none thrilled about this. It was nice to have a welcome basket and the kayaks though. Though large, spacious and very bright and sunny with lots of great viewing windows, the house is very worn and "well-used". Seemed like a house spring breakers would book. The toilets kept having issues and the fridge could not make ice (though they did bring ice for us the 2nd day). Floors were worn, dishes all had chips. For the 8 of us it seemed a bit excessive to have a house that slept 22. The views were spectacular. I seemed to have more than one booking agent, or person who communicated with me before arrival. That was a bit confusing and there was not a lot of consistency. I had emailed shortly after booking to ask if someone could help me with activity arrangements, and I never heard from anyone. Overall, the service prior to arrival was spotty and very impersonal. Kepola, who welcomed us and kept in contact via text and phone while we were there, was nice and very helpful. Same with her husband. I would not used Hawaiian Beach Rentals again.
Margot K., San Francisco, CA, 4.10.14
- We love coming to Hale Maluhia for our yearly Hawaiian vacation with our family! This year, we did have a few problems with the house, which are worth mentioning. The beds in the room next to the laundry room needs a few repairs: the towel rack broke away from the wall, the outdoor light fixture fell and brokein a storm, and our children complained that the beds were not comfortable. Additionally, the inside bedroom bed is very uneven and really should be replaced (for the cost of this house, a bad sleep is not ok). We would like to continue renting this house every year, but we find it difficult to assign rooms to our children or our friends, knowing that the beds are not comfortable. Other than the beds, the house is wonderful, and clean and our preferred vacation spot!
Julie F., Seattle, WA, 3.31.14
- My wife and I really enjoyed the ocean studio. Only steps from lanikai beach, and nestled into a very quiet road. We would definitely stay here again. Customer service was very good when booking and check in and check out process was very easy. Cottage was very clean and everything we needed such as towels, dishes, appliances, etc were provided. Yes, I would book again and yes, I would recommend it to a friend.
Ryan B., Kittery, ME, 3.23.14
- This is a fantastic spot. Accommodation is quite basic, but more than adequate. We absolutely loved the time we spent at Honu Hale. I would return in a second.
Francie C., New Haven, VT, 3.21.14
- It was great. We loved the location the look. Everything was great. I give it a 5
Anna L., Pomona, KS, 3.11.14
- Best views ever. Everything about this home and location was terrific. Would and will recommend to family and friends.
- We loved the place and it exceeded our expectation. The place is awesome and great for a family vacation, all details are well thought off and it's very comfortable and we'll be back there.
Zohar Z., Malibu, CA, 1.12.14
- This was my second visit here & it was just as enjoyable as before. It is very suitable for my needs as it is simple, clean & reasonably priced. It is a very short walk to Lanikai Beach. It is also very quiet.
Kyle I., West Covina, CA, 1.8.14
- Our stay at "Happy Hale Lanikai" was wonderful! It was very clean, spacious and a perfect location for our family. We loved being able to spend time on the beach every day, which to access is just a short 2 minute walk. We enjoyed just hanging out around the pool, hot tub and the back deck too, enjoying our family time. Sitting on the deck watching the waves, turtles, kayakers, kite surfers, wind surfers, swimmers and occasionally getting a glimpse of whales out in the distance was such a relaxing and enjoyable time. The walk to the park and to Island Snow to get shaved ice was a fun outing each day. Being together for 10 days with our 4 boys, 2 daughter-in-laws and our 2 grandchildren (7 month old and 3 yr old) was a wonderful time and we will treasure these new memories.
Susan C., Moses Lake, WA, 1.7.14
- We enjoyed our vacation and this home. Being oceanfront was an amazing experience. We were able to view sightings of sea turtles right from the beachside deck, enjoy the morning sunrises, and launch kayaks from here. Location is just beautifull and we had lots of privacy. We were very happy with our rental and would recommend this home to others. Guest services were really great to work. Thank you for helping us make our vacation a success.
Garth S., Stanford, CA, 8.31.13
- We had a wonderful visit to Kailua and stay at this studio. Was perfect for the two of us. Clean, quiet, cozy and beach is only a couple of minutes away. I would recommend this to friends and stay here again. Big thanks to the guest services as they met us at the unit and when we departed.
Michael D., Stanwell Park, 8.4.13
- My apologies for the late review but we've been traveling ever since. The Lanikai Beach Bungalow made our vacation to Oahu just amazing. Being able to wake up in the morning to the sunrises right there with the Mokulua Islands in view was just breath taking. We loved the home and the layout and most of all the privacy we had from the oceanside lawn. Thanks again for making out stay a wonderful time. We look forward to coming back and will difinitely let u know.
- Our family group of 20 fit very comfortably in this beautiful house. We could not have asked for a more gorgeous view with the ocean literally steps out the back door. There is just a short walk to two different beaches, as well as a hike up a large hill offering incredible views. The sleeping arrangements were a little awkward with 3 beds in the main living space, but we made it work. There were plenty of beach towels, sand toys, and snorkeling equipment provided. The property manager immediately responded to our requests and made us feel welcome. Our whole group, adults and kids alike, had an amazing time staying in this house!
Marino L., Corry, PA, 6.26.13
- This beach house is a dream! Love, love love this place. Great location in a very nice neighborhood. My husband and I along with some friends stayed at this house for 5 days and we all never wanted to leave. It's a very warm and cozy place. Not the most modern in terms of looks but has a whole lot of flavor to it. It also has pretty much everything you need. The lady who checked us in was very accommodating and she sure made us feel right at home. If you are looking for a home away from home, this is it!
Alexa S., Alexandria, VA, 6.26.13
- Loved our stay!!! The kids kayaked everyday! Adults kayaked, toured Hawaii, and relaxed!! What more could we have wanted :). Plenty of space for 15, adults and teens. Loved the cool air and ocean sounds at night. Can't wait to come back!!!
Tere R., Mesa, AZ, 6.20.13
- Cottage was what I expected. Note: on rainy humid days the ceiling fans do not cool the room. Fans need to be replaced with ones that are able to move air around the room since it has no AC. No windows face the ocean so none of the breezes come from that direction. The bed I slept in I believe has bed bugs because I came home with bites all over. The mattress needs to be replaced and area treated. TV is very small from across the room from the beds. Would have been nice to have a larger screen to see from there. I agree with a previous review that more comfortable seating would be nice to watch TV or eat at the table. No direct access to beach view from site (it's reserved for the Big house tenants.) You have to walk down a busy neighborhood street to get to the cutoff to the beach or drivewalk up to Kailua beach. Will need a car to do anything besides go to the beach. The better variety of food places are in town and grocery stores. Kailua was a great little town to walk around and shop. Nice to be away from the busier tourist areas. People were very friendly. Rental was clean (other than the bed bugs) and supplied most of what you need. Customer Service was great and very attentive before and during stay. Was my first time using a rental service like this one. Would recommend to rent from this company. They did what they said and no problems with payment, check in or check out. They made it very easy.
Wanda P., Cypress, TX, 6.17.13
- I could not have asked for a better vacation home! The house comes with all the amenities needed, so all that was necessary was a trip to the market to stock the fridge! I was also provided with a list of restaurants, shops, markets, etc. for everything else, so there was no need to look up places to eat or where to rent kayaks! The location was perfect. Watching the sunrise and hearing the ocean waves splash against the lapping wall while I had morning tea was a nice way to start the day! The house literally sits on the oceanfront and enjoyed walking alongside the beach right from the backyard. The water and views are absolutely beautiful! There really was no need to leave the house when you have the best views in Hawaii! Thank you for the amazing service! I was greeted at the house and was provided everything I needed. Any questions were taken care of immediately after a phone call or text. They made sure I had the best possible experience during our stay. Many thanks to the agency and Hawaii for the perfect home... Definitely would love to be a guest again! Aloha & Mahalo!
Annie O., Rochester, NY, 3.26.13
- We rented in Lanikai and were right on the oceans, sea turtles swimming right outside. Beautiful sunrises, wonderful ocean sounds to help sleep at night. The staff and everyone was VERY pleasant, helpful, attentive and couldn't have been better!! This was an excellent rental experience. All the touches at the the house, welcome basket, fresh flowers and decorations throughout the home made it seem so welcoming. It was nice to have the water dispenser and the ability to utilize beach towels, until we bought our own, a hot tub as well as access to Wi-Fi, etc! Very wonderful experience for me and all my sisters. YES - we would rent this house or another through Vacation Rental Agent again!!!
Barb B., Bloomington, MN, 3.22.13
- Small, charming space but surprisingly comfortable and a good deal for the price. Everything was clean and worked fine.Great location. Could use a small sofa or something relaxing to sit on besides the beds or dining chairs. We would go back here again. Recommend good meals at Whole Foods in Kailua - especially the cheap salad bar on Wednesdays.
Robert M., Bainbridge Island, WA, 2.26.13
- The house was a very comfortable, lovely home and our service was excellent. The house was clean, however there are a few things that should be taken care of in the master bedroom/bathroom: ants (or some kind of bug) in the master bathroom, saggy mattress in the master bedroom, and sticky bedroom door (hard to open). Other than these items, we were very happy with the rental. Mahalo!
Julie F., Seattle, WA, 2.17.13
- A great place for a casual, multi-generational family gathering. Four out of five only because it is a bit worn in places and the beach access is tricky, but if you want a low-key stay with a large number of people, by all means consider this house!
John B., New York, NY, 1.16.13
- We were very pleased with this beautiful oceanfront home. Carlos, Shylah and team had it in sparkling condition when we arrived and everything was perfect. Lanikai beach was not even a two minute walk to the main beach area and even extended directly in front of the house about half the week when the surf was lower. There were multiple outdoor sunning areas on the property we took advantage of - poolside, lanai, and upstairs terrace. The large kitchen and open living/dining area made for great family meals. Worth every penny to see the Wow! look on everyone's face when they first arrived.
Neil O., San Diego, CA, 1.8.13
- The overall quality of the rental was excellent and we'd love to go back. The property is well maintained, spacious and clean. The interior is older (some of the nearby houses looked more modern), but the furniture is contemporary and the space functions really well. The communal spaces provide a lot of opportunity to relax, enjoy the weather and one another's company. The outdoor spaces made it easy to hit the beach, go kayaking or snorkeling. We were traveling with an infant and found the space ideal for a multi-generational trip (grandparents, adults and kids). The beds/mattresses were suitable for a good night's rest, but not luxurious. The kitchen is well maintained and had all the pots, pans and dinnerware we needed to prepare meals. The barbecue was a nice touch. The bathrooms were fine. The booking agent/property manager was outstanding. They made arrangements for our kayak and long board rentals, which greatly simplified the trip. They had a high chair and infant bed (pack and play) ready for us on arrival. There were a few small maintenance items (dead batteries, light bulbs, broken toaster) that they took care of right away. Most of our maintenance problems were electrical, which I imagine is a consequence of being at an oceanfront property where the salt, water and electrons don't mix very well (I suspect you'd have the same problems at any oceanfront house). But the property manager seemed on top of things and got things corrected the same day. The house had all the beach gear you'd need to enjoy the trip (chairs, umbrella, towels, straw mats, snorkels, sand toys). It was really well appointed. Beach access is approximately a 5 min walk along the street. At low tide, there was a rocky beach in front of the house and you could potentially walk to the main Lanaki beach via the oceanfront. We were able to put the kayaks in from the back yard. I would definitely recommend Aloha Beach Rentals and this property to anyone seeking a relaxing time in Hawaii. If you want over the top luxury, this isn't the house. But it's perfect for a family looking to spend some quality time in Kailua / Lanakai.
Tom S., Iowa City, IA, 1.7.13
- The studio was perfect. Right on the beach. Can't ask for anything more. Customer service was great. Our needs were always attended. I give this studio a 5 star and definitely will recommend it to a friend and family member.
Godofredo P., Lynnwood, WA, 12.23.12
- Just got home from our Hawaii vacation. Ocean house was perfect for our large group of 19. The beach is amazing. All of the staff from the beginning to end were very helpful. They gave us tips on where to go and dining places. Definitely was a great place for us to stay. Would recommend it if you have a large group because the house was plenty big enough for us. Would recommend them again. Everyone thought the sand at the beach was the best!!!
Marci H., Tucson, AZ, 10.21.12
- Everything was absolutely amazing! From the moment we arrived, the staff was very helpful and polite. The house was a perfect location with hardly any foot traffic along the beach in the back yard. We swam with the turtles everyday! The best family vacation spot! We are coming back next year! It was great!
Vanessa B., Santa Clarita, CA, 10.15.12
- Great location! Friendly owners that were helpful. Amenities were dated.
Melissa B., Portland, OR, 9.13.12
- Excellent beach spot, not one single bug.
Don G., San Jose, CA, 7.28.12
- We had a fantastic time here - great location, with the sea (and green turtles) just outside, a short walk to either Lanikai or Kailua beaches... and coffee at the Market, and a short drive to Kailua town. The beach-style house is large, clean and comfortable. We appreacited the service and tips from the owner (eg suggestions on a good hike nearby and renting kyaks). Strongly recommended!
Marion B., Camperdown, 7.21.12
- Perfect house for a family vacation: beuatifully furnished, roomy, idyllic views. Great location with a beuatiful beach right outside lanai and lawn. Only negative is having to take the garbage to the curb, but worth the unusual inconvenience.
MaryAnn F., Hinsdale, IL, 6.26.12
- We would definitely recommend a friend stay at this rental. It was clean and has just what you need to meet your needs. The booking of unit was flawless. This is the second time we have used this company to book a beach house and we will use them again & again. The nicest thing about using them this time was the representative that called me the day before we arrived & she met us at the unit when we arrived. She (and her husband) was awesome and by the end of our trip felt like we had a new friend on Hawaii! She also met us to say good-bye and give us a hug on the way out. We had seen this house many times on other trips to Lanikai, I was very excited to be staying there! Mahalo for a wonderful trip, as usual!!
Mary Beth L., Webster, TX, 6.15.12
- We had a terrific stay in Lanikai. The bungalow was charming and the location is the best. The customer service was fantastic and I would stay there again the next time i am lucky enough to visit Oahu.
Mary L., New York, NY, 5.15.12
- Best place to be. Nice beautiful house. Awesome caretaker who accommodates all your needs. So worth it, and we loved everything about it.
Kehau M., Kailua, HI, 4.26.12
- Having a home right on the water is awesome. We could see turtles feeding 20 feet from us constantly. Very nice home, great location and great quality.
Tim C., Phoenix, AZ, 4.13.12
- Awesome, awesome, awesome! We were made to feel right at home and if we needed anything they were more then happy to help. The location is perfect and puts you right at Lanikai beach. You are removed from the city atmosphere of Waikiki and placed in a chill heaven. And everything seems to be just a stones throw away!!!
Juan C., Mesa, AZ, 3.30.12
- We stayed here to celebrate mom's 80th birthday. From the beginning of our first connection with Kia'aina to checking out, all went perfectly. The house has the feel of an old plantation house that easily accommodated the ten of us..... I can see how it would sleep 22 nicely. Having a full laundry room was a plus and didnt think we needed two fridges, but boy did that come in handy.....a drink fridge and a food fridge! We loved the large kitchen....wish there were more glasses for drinks, but we made do. We walked the neighborhood and met so many wonderful people with lots of lovely tips. The Moke Islands are must do for next time, but the kayaking out to the bird sanctuary was very interesting. For those less interested in battling the sea waves in a kayak, the canal was a lovely gentle paddle....saw Night Heron and heard there were barracudas in the canal.......no wonder the fish were so active! The turtles were there to greet us every morning and the waves sang us to sleep every night. Be prepared for some wind, but we loved it! It cooled off us NW'ers! Kayaking and scuba diving are right at your finger-tips......don't forget the lanai at Buzz's for puu-puu's and great food. The location was a quick drive into Honolulu if that's your program, but for relaxing and enjoying the Hawaiian spirit, there's no better place. You are in great hands with Kia'aina and his group......we were so thankful for the recommend!
Gwen J., NEWPORT, OR, 3.2.12
- we rentet the Lanikai Beach Bungalow for 11 days. the house was very old, but newly paintet. the whole house was very "used" and the kitchen was too old and we had to call for extra forks, knives and glasses.There were not enough for 8 people!!! . The room with 2 beds was not good. The bathroom was awful, the door could not close. All the windows in all the house alowed the wind to come in!! and it was very, very windy!! We were promised a beach in front of the house. That did not exsist! We had to walk to the big beach, and the reason for why we choose this house was the beach in front, as we had invited our grandsons along, as well as our daughters and son-in-law. The costumer service, we recieved was good but we had to call several times for toiletpaper and we were asked, if we could tidy the house, so people could come see it, as it is for sale!! We refused, of course!! We think if was expensive enough, and it was our vacation, and we did not want to tidy up for that reason. The house is for 8 persons, but there is only 2 beach-chairs, and one was broken! the beach-gear was very old and very used. There was no kajak, so we could go to the islands in front of the house. Last year we rentet an apartment, also in Mokulua Drive, and there was everything, we could use, also bicycles!! The best about the house was the placement, just at oceanfront, and the turtels. The garden was good for the children, and it was closed. Especially our family was not pleased with the house. We had expected something nicer. We think it was very expensive for such an old house, worn out!! No, we will not come back, even if the surroundings are beautiful, and we all love Hawaii so much. We will come back to Hawaii, even if it is a very long trip all the way from Denmark, but we will expect something better for that high price. We could easily have staryed in a 5-star hotel inWaikiki for the same price!! Best regards from us inDenmark, Hanne Andersen
Hanne A., Copenhagen, 2.27.12
- This is a comfortable home offering incredible oceanfront views in a quiet but charming neighborhood. The location and conveniences of a private residence cannot be compared to any other accommodation. We were very pleased and hope to return again in the future. The host was super congenial and helpful. A very nice and unexpected perk was the Pillbox hike to breathtaking views just up the road, rivaling Diamondhead. Also, Kailua Beach Park is a short walk or run and the towncenter a short drive for all the conveniences of coffee, quaint boutiques, ice cream, and fantastic pancakes at Cinnamon's. Waking up to watch the sun rise over the ocean while drinking hot coffee is something all vacationers to Hawaii should have the pleasure of experiencing. We used a rented kayak and paddleboard and also snorkeled right down the steps leading to the beach from our backyard.
Sarah T., Hardin, MT, 1.26.12
- Lanikai Loft was very good location near to beach though the nearest beach walking to has a little less space of the beach when high tide but also very quiet and we really enjoyed nice ocean view and muntain view from terrace. I liked the house was clean, too. I really would like to say thank you to the honer families' warm hospitality.
Jun M., Mitaka, 12.31.11
- My family of 7 had a wonderful time in our beach house. The location was fabulous, and it was so homey that you felt it truly was your home. We had wonderful meals in town (Kailua) . . . Best was Baci Bistro -- wonderful Italian!! And best breakfast was at Cinnamons. The only "minuses" were the constant wind, which I guess you need to expect on the "windward side", and also we never seemed to have enough hot water. But they were inconveniences we worked around and overall have only great things to say about the location, the house, and the people. Thanks Lori for checking in on us --- MAHALO!!!!
Peggy C., Pacific Palisades, CA, 12.28.11
- The studio was exactly as described. It was a simple, comfortable & convenient place to stay. I enjoyed how close it was to the beach & how peaceful it was. I was welcomed & treated very well!
Kyle I., West Covina, CA, 10.7.11
- We loved the Lanikai Beach Bungalow! We really enjoyed the property, and were impressed with everything there it had everything that the family needed for a great holiday. The environment was fantastic (particularly the honu), seeing the moonlight on the water at night was stunning, and the design of the property is perfect for the environment. It's a shame that it all had to come to an end, and am now home!
Joy L., Richmond, Victoria, 9.16.11
- 1. We loved the 3 bedrooms and 3 baths attached. My husband loved having the AC for those humid nights. I loved the kitchen, the two common living spaces, and the large dining room table and chairs. The view!!!!!! 2. The customer service was excellent!!! Thank you. 3. The best part of our trip was the beachfront location and the view and sound of the surf right outside the door. 4. The two best restaurants that we found were Cinnamon's and Hy's. 5. The best picture that we took was playing on the beach with our grandchildren and the sea turtles. 6. This was my most relaxing vacation ever. 7. There is a sea wall and steps leading down to the surf. At high tide you cannot go into the ocean outside of the house. You have to walk down a couple of blocks to Lanikai for beach activities. 8. The Lanikai location is spectacular.
Cyndee R., Northridge, CA, 8.30.11
- The location of the Ocean House was the best. Customer service was great. He replaced the refrigerator in my place very quickly when the original wasn't operating properly. The best part of my trip was watching the sun come up every morning, the Mokulua Islands, and Lanikai beach as it was the beach I grew up on. The best restaurant: Buzz's Steak House. Best pic was taken with my Kailua High grads, most of them I have known since elementary school. I've told all my friends, already. Location is great, don't sweat the small stuffs, like having "no microwave oven" to heat your food, save some kau-kau for the smartest ants in the world that live there with you. You can give them "the evil eye" and the ants will run and hide! not bad enough to worry about. There were a few other things, but I talked to the property manager about them already. On-street parking was sometimes a headache on weekends or if I returned late in the afternoon. My recommendation, swim every day and watch the turtles in the late afternoon feed on the coral below the sea wall. Ride "The Bus" at least part way around the island. Do some hiking up to the pill-boxes and the backside of Lanikai overlooking the beach. Spend more time sailing and kayaking with friends in Kailua and Kaneohe Bays. Mahalo nui loa. Berk Adams
Berk A., Santa Rosa Beach, FL, 8.17.11
- Aloha! We had a fabulous trip back home to Kailua and the Lanikai Beach Bungalow was exactly what we all hoped for! It was clean, comfortable and provided the perfect "beachy" atmosphere. Our agents who helped us were simply awesome from beginning to end! We just love them! Mahalo to both of them, from the eight of us who truely left our hearts in Lanikai! We will all be back very soon!
Jamie S., Bellingham, WA, 7.25.11
- Fabulous beach house! We had a mini family reunion and it worked out perfect! Lots of space to not feel crowded and in each others' way. Very shabby chic/cottage, laid back feel. We LOVED the ocean smack dab behind the property and even had sea turtles visit! Kiaaina greeted us the first day and gave us all sorts of tips on where to go to eat and hike. He and Lori, his assistant, are right across the street from the property so they are readily available if needed. A couple of challenges - the wifi connection was intermittent, but we were experiencing strong winds and lots of rain and the cable company was suppose to come out to fix, but never made it. Also the gas grill could not warm up hot enough to work properly but we did not report it to Kiaaina or Lori. Overall, we all LOVED the Ocean House and would stay there again if we do another big group trip!
Helen D., Castle Rock, CO, 6.15.11
- The house was perfect for my mom's 70th birthday vacation. We had 8 adults and 5 kids...and plenty of room for the kids to run around. The beach was fabulous..The house had everything we needed. We only left to go to Costco and Safeway. We would definitely rent this house again. Mahalo!
Noriko C., Sacramento, CA, 6.10.11
- We work hard all year and look forward to relaxing on vacation, as you know these beachfront rentals are not cheap. This trip we had 3 different houses rented and they were all nice properties, here is why I only gave this one 2 stars: -The property manager was overly strict; I understand I have rental properties too, and I know how renters can be, but this house had about 6 additional papers that had to be signed on do's & don'ts up to how to wash towels, too ridiculous. -We were supposed to remember what nights to take out the trash & recycling. I'm paying thousands on vacation to take out trash barrels?? In addition the barrels were all overflowing when we arrived and they are shared with the permanent residents on the front property and paperwork said extra charge if we have too much trash. -There was some sort of animal loose in the house, we found fresh cat size droppings in the downstairs bedroom, also a strange smell. I immediately made Claudia aware, she said there was nothing that could be done unless we saved the droppings for her to view. -Downstairs TV needed written instructions. There were 3 remotes and we could not work the TV, thus being unable to watch NBA playoffs together. She did come once to demonstrate how to work and said she would leave written instructions (we had written rules for everything else) but failed to leave written instructions due to an emergency. (There wasn't anyone else available that could cover for her?) -Internet at this house only was fair in the AM and non-existent in the evening. This was not the case in the other 2 rentals we had. -Parking at this property for the number of people it sleeps is very inconvenient, not enough space. -Your website "Vacation Rental Agent .com under "BEDS" lists 5 kings and 2 queens. It is 4 kings and 2 queens. We were short a bed. Claudia was not apologetic about that, (I know she didn't have control of that) but told me briskly that it was not her problem what the rental agency does. -We would not chose to rent this property in the future. We were quite happy with our other 2 rentals.
Rudy and Cheryl Z., Encinitas, CA, 5.14.11
- This place is paradise! It felt like home immediately, and the host family is incredibly kind and generous of their bikes, kayaks and local island knowledge. The location is ideal. Quaint and quiet street, just minutes from the most beautiful beach. The back patio area is peaceful and beautiful. We are already looking forward to going back!
Gusty S., Portland, OR, 4.3.11
- WOW.....where do I start. Sixteen people from 5 different states met in Hawaii for vacation and stayed at Ocean House. The view was one of the best in Hawaii. Situated only feet from the ocean, the open air house was perfect for our trip. The layout of the house allowed for a constant breeze reminding you of the closeness of the ocean. We could see the whales from the living room, watch the sea turtles and sunrise from the lani and if we had wanted, we could have had the perfect vacation by never leaving the house. Thank you Kia' Aina and staff for making our stay fantastic especially after being evacuated due to the tsunami. Being able to return to the last day made our trip home easier. Thank you again..........
Cathy S., Smyrna, TN, 3.14.11
- What I liked best was the location and the cozy feel.
Natalie L., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2.7.11
- A fantastic place for families or large groups! Perfect walking distance to everything that matters... Kia'aina and his team are pros. I highly recommend staying at the ocean house!
Pete D., Surrey, BC, 2.1.11
- Excellent. Loved the new improvements. Hope you found the house clean and tidy as we left it and look forward to our cleaning bond being returned.
Glenn A., COFFS HARBOUR, NSW AUSTRALIA, 11.8.10
- Oceanhouse was awesome, it accomodated our family and friends comfortably. We enjoyed our views and the all the amenities. Customer service was great. We had a memorable birthday party. I would definitely stay here again.
Shana T., San Francisco, CA, 11.1.10
- We loved our stay in Lanikai at the Lanikai Bungalow. The beach is close by and very beautiful. The closest entry points with the "postcard perfect" long, sandy beach were only a couple of blocks up the road. Heavenly location. The surrounding garden is peaceful and charming and the interior is colorful and unique. The owner of the bungalow is on the premises and was particularly helpful. Laundry was convenient and she had lots of beach gear to share. We are avid snorkelers and thoroughly enjoyed Shark's Cove up north near Waimea. Since we were here in early July, we had smooth, calm, warm water with a very easy entry. Highlights: schools of good-sized fish, cuttlefish, Hawaiian lobsters, morays. Be sure to detour to Hale'iwa for shave ice! We became big "plate lunch" fans and especially liked "L and L" barbecues. Don't miss the frozen yogurt place in town called Yo Mama. We ate twice at Buzz's and would have gone back for our last night's dinner, but we didn't make reservations in time. Great kiave grilled seafood and steaks.
Sandy B., Santa Rosa, CA, 7.8.10
- The Lanikai Cottage is a little slice of heaven. Thank you! -Meg
Megan F., San Francisco, CA, 7.4.10
- This is an amazing home, without a doubt the best one I have ever rented. Simply but elegantly decorated, and full of all the amenities you could ask for. It is obvious that the home is well-cared for by all the details. The back of the house area is absolutely spectacular, fit for entertaining or even better, just some lovely quiet time. The location across from the beach is perfect, barely a two minute walk. I would highly recommend Hale Maluhia, and look forward to returning someday.
Kim M., Chicago, IL, 2.19.10
- The owner was very nice and made you feel like you were a freinf visiting. the location was good, I would stay here again!!! Lanikai is always a great place to stay!!!!
Dan C., Pittsburg, CA, 1.25.10
- This was a great property. I'm big on peace and quiet, and this property provided exactly that. A nearby dog barked a few times during the day on a few separate days, but never at night. And a neighbor and his friends in the gigantic property to the left woke me up cursing loudly in their yard at 7am one morning, which was weird. Other than that, it was very peaceful. The neighbor that lives behind the rental property is named Wayne (I think). He was a very nice guy. As another reviewer noted, the actual beach is a short walk away. It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk down the street to a public beach access walkway around property 1104, which brings you onto a secluded beach which was very nice. Plenty of coral for snorkeling in front of about 1/2 of the beach there, with mostly open water near the beach on the other half for swimming. Outstanding. Better than the other beaches in my opinion (unless you want to surf in waves near the beach). Also, I love to swim and you have a great place to do it right in front of the property. I loved walking down the stone steps there at the oceanfront stone wall at the end of the yard down to the ocean, where the area is great for wading and swimming. Careful, though, when going down those steps. The stone steps are a bit steep and rough on your feet, and the last couple can be a bit slippery from the high tide. Plus, the house comes equipped with some body boards, water toys, coolers and some snorkel gear. A nice touch! Also, if you have a kayak or the like, you can boat out to the two nearby small islands, one of which has a small beach on it as well. I saw people from nearby houses heading out there a lot, and wished I could have joined them. My stay was during the first week in January, and it was in the 70s and sunny almost the entire week. The full moon also luckily happened right when I got there, so I never encountered jelly fish (which show up around 9 days after a full moon) at this or any of the other beaches I visited. That was a huge plus! The water this time of year was a bit chilly, but still great once you were in it for a few minutes and got used to it. A bummer for me was how Shark's Cove up near the North Shore was supposed to be a snorkeler's paradise, but in January it's a treacherous area full of torrential waves that are not safe for anyone. Oh well, maybe next time during the summer! By the way, the fruit basket waiting for me was awesome. Thank you for that! I'm hoping they might install a dishwasher, as that was one of the only luxuries I missed not having. I knew it didn't have one when I rented, still I'm mentioning it with the hopes they might upgrade to one eventually. That aside, the kitchen is well stocked with silverware, plates, pans and dish ware. The bathrooms also have plenty of wash clothes and towels. The only big downside was the wireless router had gone bad and I couldn't salvage it, so I had to buy a new router in order to have wireless internet. So the Linksys N router is courtesy of me. I wrote up instructions for accessing the wireless network and put them in the white folder there on the table. Also, the white folder which I'm assuming is courtesy of the owner, is chock full of great info and resources for the visit. Not sure when I can make it back to Oahu, but this rental property will be high on my list for a place to stay!
James S., Richmond, KY, 1.11.10
- great stay. the dishes were not very clean when we got there, however.
Ernie C., San Mateo, CA, 9.15.09
- The rental looked small from the outside BUT this was the best decision we made as a family. The rental was everything we dreamt of and more! It was spacious with a constant breeze, a worn but welcoming feel with lots of room and bathrooms to accomodate all of us. We all loved it! We are originally from Honolulu, HI and have relocated to various states on the mainland. We wanted to see what it was like to rent a home on the beach rather than stay at hotels in Waikiki as we did in the past. We are so happy we rented! The property manager was awesome, the kitchen had all the utensils needed, two very large stainless steel refrigerators, lots of amenities....We watched the sea turtles, the sunrise, beautiful ocean view and did not have to leave the rental to do anything else. We will definitely have to do it again. From the bottom of our hearts, Mahalo! NY, VA, Germany
Hope B., New York, NY, 8.4.09
- We loved the view. The location was great espeically since we had small kids. It was just a very relaxing place to stay. Had a great time!!
Maz M., Fairfax Station, Virginia, 10.5.08
- Stunning view of the Mokuluas! I have marked this only 4* as I was disappointed with ocean front/beach front discrepancy not being fully apparent until reading the contract. Also it is an exaggeration to say it is perfect for swimming. Access from the steps is difficult. We are all very fit and mobile, two of the party kayaked to the Mokulas and the same afternoon one of us then swam to flat island and back! Also, two of our group were badly stung by jelly fish (Portuguese Man of War). Additionally, up to 14 fishermen would apprear every day at any one time, even making use of our sea wall. The vey much appreciated tht the kitchen was very well appointed and stocked with the basics that we would not want to buy for just a week's stay. However there was no dishwasher as claimed in the particulars The bathrooms were sparkling and well stocked with towels, including those for the beach. We also apprecited the quality and scope of the yard, the furniture and the sports equipment I found Verena extremely helpful and overall we liked the property and very much enjoyed our stay in Honu Hale. Alison Rose
Alison R., Berkshire, UK, 9.18.08
- The Ocean House is the perfect beach house! We had a fabulous time with our "chosen family"! The breeze that blows through the house was all we needed to be comfortable. We could have easily never left the neighborhood to have a vacation well beyond our expectations. Lanikai beach is amazing!! The best part of the trip was relaxing on the beach and floating in the waves. No to mention the turtles!! You will love this rental and I highly recommend it to anyone!
Kris W., Everett, WA, 6.30.08
- Loved it! Absolutely enchanting garden surrounding the bungalow, with patio furniture where I enjoyed breakfast and dinner most days, and a relaxing hammock for afternoon naps under the leaves of the banana tree. Owner was very kind and not invasive at all. Only complaint was the next door neighbor (at rear of property) was a very loud talker and could be heard quite easily when she was on the phone. Other than this, it was just awesome.
Burl H., Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 6.29.08
- This is the 2nd time that we have stayed at Hale Maluhia and we are already talking about renting for a third time. This house is perfection. Its beauty, location and layout are perfect for family or friends on a vacation getaway. We consider this our Hawaiian home away from home!
Leslie P., 4.7.08
- What a beautiful place - our family had a wonderful stay there - watching sea turtles swim just in front of the house. We got up for the sunrises every morning, swam, snorkeled, kayaked and hiked. It was a perfect vacation! We look forward to our return visit.
Margaret S., Berkeley, CA, 4.5.08
- beautiful home... beatiful views of the ocean.... very good customer service.... no problems being in Lanikai Buzz's family picture taken with Mokulua Islands in background Lanikai is the best place to stay in all Hawaii
Richard N., Merced, CA, 3.31.08
- Our family reunion at the Ocean House was everything we had hoped for and more. The house was great, fit our needs exactly, a great family vacation home. I would definitely recommend the Ocean House to others, in fact several family members who live on Oahu that came to visit us, are considering the Ocean House for their out of town guests. Thankyou once again, we hope to be back home in the islands again very soon. Much mahalo - Iwalani Stover and Family
Iwalani S., San Marcos, CA, 3.17.08
- This house made our vacation awesome. It was a great location for my family and we couldn't have been happier. Very sad for us when we left
Gian C., North Begen, New Jersey, 3.12.08
1 - 100 of 153
Lanikai vacation reviews