- Lanikai vacation reviews
1 - 100 of 150
Lanikai vacation reviews
- A great time had by all. The house is gorgeous and well appointed. Family and friends enjoyed themselves.
Iwalani S., San Marcos, CA, 9.28.16
- This property is the best property we have rented from all of the properties rented in the past. It was perfect. Great location, the kitchen had all the supplies we needed to cook at home, all of the amenities were there and the pool and outdoor area was spectacular. We will most certainly be back.
John B., 6.14.16
- Where do I start? We did not have access to a review of the property when we rented so I was anxious about the property before we got there. We were very impressed by the property when we got there. we called the propery manager from the airport who gave us instructions on how to get in. The property manager met us within a few minutes but not before we got a ticket for parking on the road in front of the property as parking is very restricted in the neighbourhood. The house and grounds with the large pool in the yard were very clean. Everything is tastefully decorated. The beds are very comfortable and two of the bedrooms are air conditioned. The most awesome aspect of the property is the open covered lanai between the three buildings with one of the dinning areas, day beds and a large screen tv all overlooking the large pool. In the evenings the pool and garden are lit up making a magical view. The kitchen was very well equipped and the beds were very comfortable with high end bedding. If we did not want to hang out at the pool the beach was across the street and down a short lane way. Lanika beach is a pleasant half an hour stroll down to the end of the beach to the rocks that was not crowded even over a busy Easter weekend. It is rated one of the best beaches on Oahu for a good reason. We travelled to other beaches and did not find its equal. shopping is close in Kailua with all the usual grocery stores and shops. We can recommend Bookends as a great bookstore with awesome customer service! The short falls were that we are from a quiet part of the world so ear plugs were needed some nights due to neighbour noise and there are no curtains so I needed my eye patches as the sun is up at 6:00 am and we did not want to be. The best part was the pool in the backyard and being across the road from the beach a great location for ohau We would totally rent this propery again. It is a beautiful property that suited our family of four with two teenagers but would equally suit three couples.
Irena E., Calgary, AB, 3.30.16
- This is an exquisite house and land setting. The perimeter is very secure and you easily enter a relaxing and beautiful home and outdoor area. The living area is a wonderful mix of fine interior, outdoor covered patio, pool and the backyard area. The art is lovely and island appropriate. We spent most of our time inside the compound as the outside of Lani Kai is very busy... especially with President Obama in town!! Nevertheless, Lani Kai's magical beach is a few steps away across the street. We were glad NOT to be staying right on the beach. Would love to return to this restful and luxurious spot in the future.
Steve R., Seattle, WA, 1.4.16
- I have nothing but wonderful and great things to say about this property, as well as my interactions and experience with the booking agent and property manager. My family and I stayed at this gorgeous home for one week and were so sad to leave. The home is spectacular and has three bedrooms and three bathrooms -- all of which are very separated and away from one another to allow for privacy. The pool and patios, along with the kitchen allowed us to feel right at home and have wonderful conversations. Lastly, the home is about one block away from the world famous all of which are very separated and away from one another to allow for privacy. The pool and patios, along with the kitchen allowed us to feel right at home and have wonderful conversations. Lastly, the home is about one block away from the world famous Lanikai Beach! I seriously cannot wait to go back again. You won't be disappointed!
Chris C., Boise, ID, 8.6.15
- Hale Maluia was even more beautiful when we arrived! The lawn near the pool was bigger than anticipated and the privacy was perfection. The house really had everything we needed...can't wait to go back!!
Holley D., Vancouver, WA, 4.28.15
- Loved the house. It was big, the bathrooms were abundant and it was a great property. The only complaint I had was that the picture when I procured the property was different than the real-life thing. It showed the house directly off the beach where you could walk out into the ocean and in reality, it had a 6 foot wall before the beach and you had to walk down the street about 8 houses to get to the beach. Other than that, it was perfect. It wasn't as clean as I would have preferred but with 20 people in the rental, it didn't stay clean anyway. The booking agent was great until I paid for the property and then I had a hard time getting her to respond to me. The property manager was perfect and she was there when we needed her and responded to our concerns when we had them. Our overall satisfaction was a 4. Thanks for a great trip. I would recommend this to anyone.
Maureen B., St. George, UT, 3.18.15
- This was a beautiful! Perfect distance from the beach - close! Lovely grotto pool. Everything was beautiful and clean. thanks for a lovely stay!
Rosene B., Anchorage, AK, 3.16.15
- Firstly overall the house is perfect if you have older children and generations of families or more than one family staying together - the main house has one large bedroom and bath. the other rooms are outside and so give great opportunity for private space. There are a lot of options for other private or communal space with seating areas so everyone can be together without feeling on top of each other. The location is fabulous - we have stayed in Lanikai and Kailua on several occasions - normally we have a lot of peace and quiet - Christmas week was very different - traffic into and out of Lanikai was terrible and it took a long time to get in and out - volume of traffic and the President being in town probably were the contributing factors. As with any rental there are things we would have liked to have seen differently. We were not met at the property which was surprising so it took a while for us to locate things and figure out a few hitches (no hot water/leaking bath tub etc). However the agent was helpful over the phone and someone did fix things promptly. Pool was incredibly cold and was not usable - although very clean! we understand this is the winter months but you just couldn't get close to using it. Not enough Towels in the property - we did wash them every couple of days but would have been nice to have some extras. Bedding in the room with the twin beds was worn and the elastic gone - couldn't keep it on the mattress overnight. I would rent the house again - the layout and location made it spectacular.
Karen M., Pleasanton, CA, 1.4.15
- This is our family's third consecutive stay at Hale Maluhia. We have had three great summer vacations there.
Vanessa C., 7.31.14
- The Ocean House was very clean, charming, comfortable and immensely enjoyable. We had a very large group of 21 and it met our needs perfectly. The house is deceptively large with plenty of beds, bathrooms and spaces for privacy. The kitchen was spacious and well stocked and there were plenty of towels and beach towels. The large, open dining area with a stunning ocean view was perfect for gathering, socializing and having fun. Aside from the beach being right outside the back lanai, there was a grill and picnic table in the front area. The location on the beach with things to do nearby in Lani Kai and Kailua was perfect. I really cannot say enough good things.
Tammy B., Honolulu, HI, 5.18.14
- This was a beautiful property with a lovely yard, and spacious pool with great sun exposure and also very sheltered. The home was clean, well equipped with all necessary amenities/appliances, and had comfortable beds. The views of the beach from the home were fabulous. The location on the beach could not have been better - what a fantastic setting. Being right on the beach was the best part. Only complaint is the key lock box system requiring one to go through the patio door to relock the front door after entering. As well, the inability to lock the back door (as no key provided) was a drawback. The service we received was excellent and we were very satisfied with everyone we dealt with. We certainly would recommend this to a friend and hope to stay here again ourselves. Thank you for a wonderful experience.
Mark B., St. John's, NL, 4.29.14
- Hello, The house was really beautiful and well equipt. It was comfortable and had everything we needed. I thought the showers could have been updated to new taps & it would have been handy to have a layout of the house as the bedrooms are very spread out. we were travelling with our 2 year old son. we couldn't have him in his own room because it was too far away from ours so if he woke in the night we wouldn't have heard him. For this reason he slept in our room and it wasn't ideal. Other than that the location, house, everything was great. Weather was disappointing as it was super windy the whole time we hardly went to the beach. Thanks so much.
Deborah S., Avalon, 4.21.14
- I had originally booked a different house and then was forced to change a week before arrival -- I was none thrilled about this. It was nice to have a welcome basket and the kayaks though. Though large, spacious and very bright and sunny with lots of great viewing windows, the house is very worn and "well-used". Seemed like a house spring breakers would book. The toilets kept having issues and the fridge could not make ice (though they did bring ice for us the 2nd day). Floors were worn, dishes all had chips. For the 8 of us it seemed a bit excessive to have a house that slept 22. The views were spectacular. I seemed to have more than one booking agent, or person who communicated with me before arrival. That was a bit confusing and there was not a lot of consistency. I had emailed shortly after booking to ask if someone could help me with activity arrangements, and I never heard from anyone. Overall, the service prior to arrival was spotty and very impersonal. Kepola, who welcomed us and kept in contact via text and phone while we were there, was nice and very helpful. Same with her husband. I would not used Hawaiian Beach Rentals again.
Margot K., San Francisco, CA, 4.10.14
- We love coming to Hale Maluhia for our yearly Hawaiian vacation with our family! This year, we did have a few problems with the house, which are worth mentioning. The beds in the room next to the laundry room needs a few repairs: the towel rack broke away from the wall, the outdoor light fixture fell and brokein a storm, and our children complained that the beds were not comfortable. Additionally, the inside bedroom bed is very uneven and really should be replaced (for the cost of this house, a bad sleep is not ok). We would like to continue renting this house every year, but we find it difficult to assign rooms to our children or our friends, knowing that the beds are not comfortable. Other than the beds, the house is wonderful, and clean and our preferred vacation spot!
Julie F., Seattle, WA, 3.31.14
- This is a fantastic spot. Accommodation is quite basic, but more than adequate. We absolutely loved the time we spent at Honu Hale. I would return in a second.
Francie C., New Haven, VT, 3.21.14
- It was great. We loved the location the look. Everything was great. I give it a 5
Anna L., Pomona, KS, 3.11.14
- We loved the place and it exceeded our expectation. The place is awesome and great for a family vacation, all details are well thought off and it's very comfortable and we'll be back there.
Zohar Z., Malibu, CA, 1.12.14
- The location (upper part of Lanakai and close proximity to the beach) was very good. Customer service offered by the on-line management company, the owner, and the property manager next door was excellent. E-communications were received on a timely basis. Our family group (an 86 yr old uncle, his daughter, our son, his two children, my husband and myself) was comfortable with the bedroom and bathroom arrangements. Our uncle was able to manage the stairs required by the split nature of the home. Some people may have more problems with this as the main house and main kitchen are upstairs, the pool and lower unit are downstairs. The pool and landscape provide a lush Hawaiian setting. We had a wonderful time in the pool, on the upper lanai with a view of the ocean, and with easy visits to the beach. As listed on the web-site, the home is dependent upon ocean breezes. There were ceiling and floor fans provided. The property also provided many necessities not always present in rentals....laundry detergent, dish and dishwasher detergent, paper products, and a nice supply of seasonings for cooking. We were highly satisfied. Mahalo!
Judy H., Austin, TX, 8.20.13
- The house worked very well for our family. Two couples upstairs and family of 5 downstairs. Not pristine but very liveable. The pool was a joy - enjoyed by everyone. Lots of stairs for the little ones. The beach was a short walk and beautiful. The kitchen was well equipped and the BBQ was very convenient. Glad we rented both up and down, because renting only one unit you would be sharing the back yard and pool--which may or may not work out. All in all it was a great trip for all of us. Would do it again.
Sandra L., Cypress, CA, 7.4.13
- Our family group of 20 fit very comfortably in this beautiful house. We could not have asked for a more gorgeous view with the ocean literally steps out the back door. There is just a short walk to two different beaches, as well as a hike up a large hill offering incredible views. The sleeping arrangements were a little awkward with 3 beds in the main living space, but we made it work. There were plenty of beach towels, sand toys, and snorkeling equipment provided. The property manager immediately responded to our requests and made us feel welcome. Our whole group, adults and kids alike, had an amazing time staying in this house!
Marino L., Corry, PA, 6.26.13
- Loved our stay!!! The kids kayaked everyday! Adults kayaked, toured Hawaii, and relaxed!! What more could we have wanted :). Plenty of space for 15, adults and teens. Loved the cool air and ocean sounds at night. Can't wait to come back!!!
Tere R., Mesa, AZ, 6.20.13
- Loved the location, beach access, Pill Box Trail, Lanikai and Kailua Beaches were wonderful. Would definitely recommend to a friend. The only complaint is the noise from upstairs. Mahalo!
Jeanne K., Brodheadsville, PA, 3.27.13
- The house was a very comfortable, lovely home and our service was excellent. The house was clean, however there are a few things that should be taken care of in the master bedroom/bathroom: ants (or some kind of bug) in the master bathroom, saggy mattress in the master bedroom, and sticky bedroom door (hard to open). Other than these items, we were very happy with the rental. Mahalo!
Julie F., Seattle, WA, 2.17.13
- This rental was well worth the cost! So close to the ocean, wonderful neighborhood, and the home itself was beyond our expectations! The pool was so clean, the home so comfortable, and the care for the guests was evident with all needs given special attention - ie, towels, kitchen, linens, etc. The caretaker, who lives next door, came to greet us the day after we arrived and did not bother us after that at all! We would certainly consider this home again!
Lynn R., Rathdrum, ID, 2.14.13
- A great place for a casual, multi-generational family gathering. Four out of five only because it is a bit worn in places and the beach access is tricky, but if you want a low-key stay with a large number of people, by all means consider this house!
John B., New York, NY, 1.16.13
- The rental was very nice and we enjoyed having our breakfast on the lanai. It was clean and well kept. The manager was very helpful and friendly. Only problem was the living room. I like to decorate, so I would put the TV in the wall space were the mirror is and the futon against the opposite wall. We are tall people and those two little rattan chairs were soooo uncomfortable. A simple couch in front of the TV would do it, with the rattan chairs on either side. Because where the futon now is, you cannot see the TV, so you can not use that as a couch, besides we needed it as a bed. Also in the kitchen there were only two tiny tiny little pans (besides nice frying pans), not one was large enough to cook spaghetti in.Best part was the proximity to that fabulous beach, and yes, I would recommend the place and I would like to come again. But it was nice that we had family to visit (with big pots and a couch). Mahalo, Marijke
Marijke F., Venice, FL, 11.13.12
- The house and pool was great! All things for the kitchen were there. The only issue was we could use the wifi on our ipads but could not use wifi on our iphones. We did not have a password for the secured wifi and we tried everything but it wouldn't work.
Joanne B., Vancouver, BC, 10.30.12
- Just got home from our Hawaii vacation. Ocean house was perfect for our large group of 19. The beach is amazing. All of the staff from the beginning to end were very helpful. They gave us tips on where to go and dining places. Definitely was a great place for us to stay. Would recommend it if you have a large group because the house was plenty big enough for us. Would recommend them again. Everyone thought the sand at the beach was the best!!!
Marci H., Tucson, AZ, 10.21.12
- Great location! Friendly owners that were helpful. Amenities were dated.
Melissa B., Portland, OR, 9.13.12
- Perfect family vacation home, great location, good shopping and lots to do.
Kelly B., Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, 7.20.12
- We stayed here to celebrate mom's 80th birthday. From the beginning of our first connection with Kia'aina to checking out, all went perfectly. The house has the feel of an old plantation house that easily accommodated the ten of us..... I can see how it would sleep 22 nicely. Having a full laundry room was a plus and didnt think we needed two fridges, but boy did that come in handy.....a drink fridge and a food fridge! We loved the large kitchen....wish there were more glasses for drinks, but we made do. We walked the neighborhood and met so many wonderful people with lots of lovely tips. The Moke Islands are must do for next time, but the kayaking out to the bird sanctuary was very interesting. For those less interested in battling the sea waves in a kayak, the canal was a lovely gentle paddle....saw Night Heron and heard there were barracudas in the canal.......no wonder the fish were so active! The turtles were there to greet us every morning and the waves sang us to sleep every night. Be prepared for some wind, but we loved it! It cooled off us NW'ers! Kayaking and scuba diving are right at your finger-tips......don't forget the lanai at Buzz's for puu-puu's and great food. The location was a quick drive into Honolulu if that's your program, but for relaxing and enjoying the Hawaiian spirit, there's no better place. You are in great hands with Kia'aina and his group......we were so thankful for the recommend!
Gwen J., NEWPORT, OR, 3.2.12
- Great location--very close to beach. Nicely furnished. We had several quiet evenings in the ohana untila a family of five showed up upstairs. Had to ask them to quiet down, which they did by 10pm. So just be aware that if you are downstairs it can be loud having folks upstairs. Rental company did inform us there would be a family, but due to late booking our options were limited. Property mgr next door was friendly and helpful as needed. Would stay there again for sure if upstairs not booked.
Roxanne W., Olympia, WA, 1.30.12
- We loved our stay in Lanikai! The house was everything we had hoped for and more! We would reccomend this place to anyone!
Kelly M., Fairbanks, AK, 1.13.12
- Lanikai is the loveliest place on earth! People are friendly, beach is FANTASTIC! Can't wait to go again!!
Kimberly L., Chandler, AZ, 1.4.12
- Lanikai Loft was very good location near to beach though the nearest beach walking to has a little less space of the beach when high tide but also very quiet and we really enjoyed nice ocean view and muntain view from terrace. I liked the house was clean, too. I really would like to say thank you to the honer families' warm hospitality.
Jun M., Mitaka, 12.31.11
- The unit worked perfect for two couples, with ample room. It was very clean and comfortable, and we enjoyed all the windows overlooking lush tropical foliage. The customer service we received was excellent. Tony, the property manager, was very friendly and made us feel at home. The best part about the rental is the location to Lanikai beach, just houses away. Thank you for a great vacation!
Danielle H., Seattle, WA, 11.27.11
- The location is phenominal - walking distance from the nicest beach in Oahu. The bedrooms and bathrooms are nice, as is the living space. The pool is not very nice, but you are not going to want to spend time here anyway...
Travis K., Menlo Park, CA, 11.14.11
- First, let me talk about the property itself... I came here with my extended family (including my parents and kids) and the layout of this home was perfect for us. The house sits on a hill that faces toward the ocean and the entire front of the house was practically all glass including the main bedroom. I thought that the large glass windows would result in a lack of privacy with the neighbors but surprisingly the mature tropical foliage surrounding the property provided all the privacy we needed...plus there were no other homes at the same level as us so it felt like we were in a big treehouse. My 3 daughters enjoyed feeding the koi fish in the fish pond every morning and loved using the swimming pool when it got too late to go the beach (which is literally a half a block down the road). Although the swimming pool could probably be refinished and the kitchen could be updated a bit more, I'm glad the owners decided to focus their efforts on the 2 bathrooms which were recently renovated and turned out beautiful. It gave the home a much more luxurious feel with the marble and Kohler finishes. The new modern, Craftsman-like mahogany door also added a nice modern touch to the home. They also provided us with new pool toys to use, which was great. I loved the fact that there were beach hairs, beach mats, boogie boards and a cooler for us to use for our frequent visits to Lanikai Beach. Secondly, let me talk about the customer service. We received many communications from the rental agent but also the owners themselves. The owner reached out to me via email the week prior to stay and wanted to know if we we wanted a small futon for my 4-year old to use, which I thought was a very nice gesture. The next door neighbor, Tony, was the on-site property manager, and dropped in a couple of times during our stay to check in on us. He was very nice and helpful. The balcony off the living room was a nice place to relax and drink some beers while watching the sunset and hearing the soft ocean waves and cool breezes. It was a great way to relax and chill. I enjoyed taking morning walks or jogs in the neighborhood and being able to take in the view of Kailua Beach made it worthwhile. I would come back here again in a heartbeat especially if you want a truly relaxing vacation where you want to have family meals together and enjoy scenic walks and close proximity to one of the most beautiful beaches on Oahu. I highly recommend this place!
Rachel D., Ontario, CA, 10.26.11
- Fabulous beach house! We had a mini family reunion and it worked out perfect! Lots of space to not feel crowded and in each others' way. Very shabby chic/cottage, laid back feel. We LOVED the ocean smack dab behind the property and even had sea turtles visit! Kiaaina greeted us the first day and gave us all sorts of tips on where to go to eat and hike. He and Lori, his assistant, are right across the street from the property so they are readily available if needed. A couple of challenges - the wifi connection was intermittent, but we were experiencing strong winds and lots of rain and the cable company was suppose to come out to fix, but never made it. Also the gas grill could not warm up hot enough to work properly but we did not report it to Kiaaina or Lori. Overall, we all LOVED the Ocean House and would stay there again if we do another big group trip!
Helen D., Castle Rock, CO, 6.15.11
- This place is paradise! It felt like home immediately, and the host family is incredibly kind and generous of their bikes, kayaks and local island knowledge. The location is ideal. Quaint and quiet street, just minutes from the most beautiful beach. The back patio area is peaceful and beautiful. We are already looking forward to going back!
Gusty S., Portland, OR, 4.3.11
- WOW.....where do I start. Sixteen people from 5 different states met in Hawaii for vacation and stayed at Ocean House. The view was one of the best in Hawaii. Situated only feet from the ocean, the open air house was perfect for our trip. The layout of the house allowed for a constant breeze reminding you of the closeness of the ocean. We could see the whales from the living room, watch the sea turtles and sunrise from the lani and if we had wanted, we could have had the perfect vacation by never leaving the house. Thank you Kia' Aina and staff for making our stay fantastic especially after being evacuated due to the tsunami. Being able to return to the last day made our trip home easier. Thank you again..........
Cathy S., Smyrna, TN, 3.14.11
- A fantastic place for families or large groups! Perfect walking distance to everything that matters... Kia'aina and his team are pros. I highly recommend staying at the ocean house!
Pete D., Surrey, BC, 2.1.11
- Excellent. Loved the new improvements. Hope you found the house clean and tidy as we left it and look forward to our cleaning bond being returned.
Glenn A., COFFS HARBOUR, NSW AUSTRALIA, 11.8.10
- Oceanhouse was awesome, it accomodated our family and friends comfortably. We enjoyed our views and the all the amenities. Customer service was great. We had a memorable birthday party. I would definitely stay here again.
Shana T., San Francisco, CA, 11.1.10
- We loved our stay in Lanikai at the Lanikai Bungalow. The beach is close by and very beautiful. The closest entry points with the "postcard perfect" long, sandy beach were only a couple of blocks up the road. Heavenly location. The surrounding garden is peaceful and charming and the interior is colorful and unique. The owner of the bungalow is on the premises and was particularly helpful. Laundry was convenient and she had lots of beach gear to share. We are avid snorkelers and thoroughly enjoyed Shark's Cove up north near Waimea. Since we were here in early July, we had smooth, calm, warm water with a very easy entry. Highlights: schools of good-sized fish, cuttlefish, Hawaiian lobsters, morays. Be sure to detour to Hale'iwa for shave ice! We became big "plate lunch" fans and especially liked "L and L" barbecues. Don't miss the frozen yogurt place in town called Yo Mama. We ate twice at Buzz's and would have gone back for our last night's dinner, but we didn't make reservations in time. Great kiave grilled seafood and steaks.
Sandy B., Santa Rosa, CA, 7.8.10
- This is a great rental unit for a family. It is very spacious and comfortable (family of five). The unlimited use of the pool and having a wonderful beach very close by made our trip very enjoyable. Sandy the caretaker was very friendly and offered great advice.
Katherine A., Vancouver, BC, 4.8.10
- This was a great house for our group (6 adults and 4 small children)! The proximity to the beach and the pool at the house were fabulous. The house had all the amenities we needed. We would definitely recommended this to anyone wanting a place to stay that is close to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world!
Ali S., Issaquah, WA, 3.9.10
- We rented the whole house.. upstairs and downstairs. The space was large enough for 10 people comfortably. It was close to the beach and close to town. The only problem was that the downstairs kitchen only had a 2 burners for a stove and very little area to prep food... since we had the whole house we used the upstairs kitchen more.
Alyscia D., Burnaby, BC, 2.27.10
- This is an amazing home, without a doubt the best one I have ever rented. Simply but elegantly decorated, and full of all the amenities you could ask for. It is obvious that the home is well-cared for by all the details. The back of the house area is absolutely spectacular, fit for entertaining or even better, just some lovely quiet time. The location across from the beach is perfect, barely a two minute walk. I would highly recommend Hale Maluhia, and look forward to returning someday.
Kim M., Chicago, IL, 2.19.10
- The owner was very nice and made you feel like you were a freinf visiting. the location was good, I would stay here again!!! Lanikai is always a great place to stay!!!!
Dan C., Pittsburg, CA, 1.25.10
- The house is spacious and well equipped. When we arrived, Sandy Earle met us and told us about the setup. She was extremely helpful, even to the point of helping us with some heavy luggage. The other service which was amazing: the owner came over on the first evening to repair the wi-fi so that we could use our computers. The only bad thing was the overgrown greenery blocking the view from the deck. The owner did send someone to cut back this overgrowth, but it was not successful. The deck, in fact, does NOT provide an ocdan view. But it is an easy walk to Lanikai beach, and a short drive to Kailua beach....both lovely.
Dorothy D., St. Louis, MO, 1.23.10
- This was a great property. I'm big on peace and quiet, and this property provided exactly that. A nearby dog barked a few times during the day on a few separate days, but never at night. And a neighbor and his friends in the gigantic property to the left woke me up cursing loudly in their yard at 7am one morning, which was weird. Other than that, it was very peaceful. The neighbor that lives behind the rental property is named Wayne (I think). He was a very nice guy. As another reviewer noted, the actual beach is a short walk away. It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk down the street to a public beach access walkway around property 1104, which brings you onto a secluded beach which was very nice. Plenty of coral for snorkeling in front of about 1/2 of the beach there, with mostly open water near the beach on the other half for swimming. Outstanding. Better than the other beaches in my opinion (unless you want to surf in waves near the beach). Also, I love to swim and you have a great place to do it right in front of the property. I loved walking down the stone steps there at the oceanfront stone wall at the end of the yard down to the ocean, where the area is great for wading and swimming. Careful, though, when going down those steps. The stone steps are a bit steep and rough on your feet, and the last couple can be a bit slippery from the high tide. Plus, the house comes equipped with some body boards, water toys, coolers and some snorkel gear. A nice touch! Also, if you have a kayak or the like, you can boat out to the two nearby small islands, one of which has a small beach on it as well. I saw people from nearby houses heading out there a lot, and wished I could have joined them. My stay was during the first week in January, and it was in the 70s and sunny almost the entire week. The full moon also luckily happened right when I got there, so I never encountered jelly fish (which show up around 9 days after a full moon) at this or any of the other beaches I visited. That was a huge plus! The water this time of year was a bit chilly, but still great once you were in it for a few minutes and got used to it. A bummer for me was how Shark's Cove up near the North Shore was supposed to be a snorkeler's paradise, but in January it's a treacherous area full of torrential waves that are not safe for anyone. Oh well, maybe next time during the summer! By the way, the fruit basket waiting for me was awesome. Thank you for that! I'm hoping they might install a dishwasher, as that was one of the only luxuries I missed not having. I knew it didn't have one when I rented, still I'm mentioning it with the hopes they might upgrade to one eventually. That aside, the kitchen is well stocked with silverware, plates, pans and dish ware. The bathrooms also have plenty of wash clothes and towels. The only big downside was the wireless router had gone bad and I couldn't salvage it, so I had to buy a new router in order to have wireless internet. So the Linksys N router is courtesy of me. I wrote up instructions for accessing the wireless network and put them in the white folder there on the table. Also, the white folder which I'm assuming is courtesy of the owner, is chock full of great info and resources for the visit. Not sure when I can make it back to Oahu, but this rental property will be high on my list for a place to stay!
James S., Richmond, KY, 1.11.10
- The property Manager and the Owner were both great to work with and extremely flexible and responsive. We have two small children and this responsiveness was very much appreciated. The best part of our stay was the proximity to the beach - a phenomenal beach only 150 yards away! If you don't know Kailua well (like us), there is a nice downtown area very close with a small mall and great shops and restaurants (and Starbucks too). We discovered this 2 days before the end of our trip, after struggling to find good spots to eat (besides Buzz's, which was a great place). The house has some nice attributes but is really outdated. From the description on the HomeAway website you would think that you were staying in a multi-million dollar property in a gated community, but in reality the property is quite old and a little grungy in some areas. The neighborhood is quite nice though. If I owned the place I would do a couple of days of landscape work (mainly trimming dead branches and removing dead plants) and put quite a bit of work into the interior remodel. At the very least some deep cleaning and painting.
Cory F., Portland, OR, 11.23.09
- The unit I rented was very big and comfortable, the property manager very nice and the position excellent. Lanikai beach is the best one I have seen in Oahu The best restaurant I found is Buzz's: excellent !!!
Paola T., Segrate, Milano - Italy, 8.20.09
- The rental looked small from the outside BUT this was the best decision we made as a family. The rental was everything we dreamt of and more! It was spacious with a constant breeze, a worn but welcoming feel with lots of room and bathrooms to accomodate all of us. We all loved it! We are originally from Honolulu, HI and have relocated to various states on the mainland. We wanted to see what it was like to rent a home on the beach rather than stay at hotels in Waikiki as we did in the past. We are so happy we rented! The property manager was awesome, the kitchen had all the utensils needed, two very large stainless steel refrigerators, lots of amenities....We watched the sea turtles, the sunrise, beautiful ocean view and did not have to leave the rental to do anything else. We will definitely have to do it again. From the bottom of our hearts, Mahalo! NY, VA, Germany
Hope B., New York, NY, 8.4.09
- This house was a great location and I agree with most people Lanikai is the most beautiful beach in Oahu. I loved the layout of the house and it was great to have a pool to entertain the kids and me! We really enjoyed Buzz's restaurant. The steak and crab were very tasty. This house was just a great central and quiet spot for our small family reunion.
Stacey R., Edmonton, Alberta, 1.27.09
- location is super the beach fantastic the owner is a rare find as was sandy for their kindness and help. It is the place summer vacation is all about. thanks Laurel the wonderful lady that sent me here. Bill
Bill C., Olympia, Washington, 10.28.08
- Stunning view of the Mokuluas! I have marked this only 4* as I was disappointed with ocean front/beach front discrepancy not being fully apparent until reading the contract. Also it is an exaggeration to say it is perfect for swimming. Access from the steps is difficult. We are all very fit and mobile, two of the party kayaked to the Mokulas and the same afternoon one of us then swam to flat island and back! Also, two of our group were badly stung by jelly fish (Portuguese Man of War). Additionally, up to 14 fishermen would apprear every day at any one time, even making use of our sea wall. The vey much appreciated tht the kitchen was very well appointed and stocked with the basics that we would not want to buy for just a week's stay. However there was no dishwasher as claimed in the particulars The bathrooms were sparkling and well stocked with towels, including those for the beach. We also apprecited the quality and scope of the yard, the furniture and the sports equipment I found Verena extremely helpful and overall we liked the property and very much enjoyed our stay in Honu Hale. Alison Rose
Alison R., Berkshire, UK, 9.18.08
- Location of the house was excellent and Lanikai beach and area was sublime. The house was very good and only lacked air con but with the traditional slated window style this would have been impossible. Otherwise the house had ALL the amenities we required with plenty of towels, hot water , massive fridge and comfortable beds. Thankyou if we come to Oahu again we will be in touch. Bill Tidman
BILL T., STRATFORD ON AVON, WARWICKSHIRE UK, 9.8.08
- Layout of the house accommodated our group very well. Pool and beach access was great. Lanikai access to Kailua area was very convenient. The upstairs bedroom and dining area got very hot and the front porch light did not work so it was always dark when we came home. Overall, everything else was great.
Alan S., Albany, OR, 7.4.08
- The Ocean House is the perfect beach house! We had a fabulous time with our "chosen family"! The breeze that blows through the house was all we needed to be comfortable. We could have easily never left the neighborhood to have a vacation well beyond our expectations. Lanikai beach is amazing!! The best part of the trip was relaxing on the beach and floating in the waves. No to mention the turtles!! You will love this rental and I highly recommend it to anyone!
Kris W., Everett, WA, 6.30.08
- Loved it! Absolutely enchanting garden surrounding the bungalow, with patio furniture where I enjoyed breakfast and dinner most days, and a relaxing hammock for afternoon naps under the leaves of the banana tree. Owner was very kind and not invasive at all. Only complaint was the next door neighbor (at rear of property) was a very loud talker and could be heard quite easily when she was on the phone. Other than this, it was just awesome.
Burl H., Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 6.29.08
- This is the 2nd time that we have stayed at Hale Maluhia and we are already talking about renting for a third time. This house is perfection. Its beauty, location and layout are perfect for family or friends on a vacation getaway. We consider this our Hawaiian home away from home!
Leslie P., 4.7.08
- Our family reunion at the Ocean House was everything we had hoped for and more. The house was great, fit our needs exactly, a great family vacation home. I would definitely recommend the Ocean House to others, in fact several family members who live on Oahu that came to visit us, are considering the Ocean House for their out of town guests. Thankyou once again, we hope to be back home in the islands again very soon. Much mahalo - Iwalani Stover and Family
Iwalani S., San Marcos, CA, 3.17.08
- This house made our vacation awesome. It was a great location for my family and we couldn't have been happier. Very sad for us when we left
Gian C., North Begen, New Jersey, 3.12.08
- Having the place to myself, being able to experience the smells, clouds, beach, birds and mountains was the best. Sandy was my customer service. Love her! Experiencing the house by myself. i could sneak up to take a peak at the water and the hills behind me otherwise, I had the pool to myself. It was so private--never felt so free. My best insider tip was if you're staying with not other renters, swim naked as much as you can. Such privacy is rare and with the most perfect weather in the world, it is truly spectacular! Thank you for the most wonderful memories ever, Kelly
Kelly B., Napa, CA, 3.10.08
- The house was great and the rooms were really separate. You could hear everything that was going on throughout the house, but that was WAY offset by the fact that the house was perfect in every way. Close to the beach, nice pool area and many outside eating areas. Sandy was so plesant to work with. We also loved the fact that it wasn't touristy at all. Far from all the hub-ub of the big hotels, but still convient enough to get to when needed.
Emily H., Saratoga Springs, NY, 3.2.08
- THE UNIT WAS EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN AND QUIET. THE SEA BREEZE WAS MAGNIFICENT. IT WAS PERFECT FOR 2 COUPLES AS EACH HAD THEIR OWN 'SUITE' . WE LOVED IT AND PLAN TO REQUEST IT ON OUR NEXT VISIT.
Paige J., Sacramento, CA, 2.9.08
- The house was lovely and well appointed. The location was perfect. We would definitely rent this home again.
Diane W., New York, NY, 1.6.08
- House had ample room for our family which was great and the location was a short block from the beach. The property manager and owner were great about quickly resolving concerns. My family had a wonderful time and that is what mattered most. The best part of the trip was swimming with the dolphins at Sea Life Park, definitely worth the money. Best new spot we learned about is Chip and Cookie in Kailua.
Teresa E., Los Angeles, CA, 1.4.08
- It was great! The family - from ages 14 mos to 72 yrs old enjoyed it thoroughly! To find the house completely 'furnished' was a very pleasant surprise - The views - from the Mokuluas to Kaneohe was awesome - the 'honus' added a very special touch! Watching for them and seeing them was very special... Kia'aina was extremely gracious! He is very good at his job! Needless to say, I will recommend the Ocean House to everyone with large families! It was perfect! Mahalo1
Shirley N., San Jose, CA, 8.30.07
- This was a wonderful vacation home. We went with a group of eight others and had a blast. The house is spacious and allows for privacy and alone time. The pool was great and relaxing, the yard could use a liitle cleaning of the shrubbery but very nice. The beach is very close by and the spend as much time there as possible, look out for the Honu that like to pop out of the water as well as the Portugese man of war (jellyfish) that tend to be in the water, don't touch them, swim away. Can't wait to go back! Sandy was a big help and very sweet. The Neighbor thought we were too loud one night but never mentioned anything beyond the second night. All was good. Mahalo Kuuipo
Raymond S., Hawthorne, CA, 8.28.07
- Aloha!This is actually Mike's wife Carol! I loved the the trip - from beginning to end! I loved the house and sitting at the dinning room table watching the sun rise each morning. The woman that we dealt with face to face - Sandy - was amazing! She even had her adorable dog Tasha trained to NOT go in the house! When Sandy and Tasha would come to the house it was the best visits! The pool was a huge plus, the lay out of the house was fantastic, the beach was a one minute walk away, the fresh plumeria flowers every morning was heaven, seeing all the various geckos was fun - nothing to complain about at all! I loved having the deck to sun on OR go downstairs to the pool OR go to the beach! People were friendly, the weather was gorgeous, nthe pineapple sweet and I would come back to this location in a heart beat! Mahalo!
Mike C., San Jose, CA, 8.14.07
- What I liked best about the unit I rented was the openness of the property. The customer service I received was very good. The best part of my trip was swimming at Lanikai and the other beaches we visited. The best restaurant I found was Buzz's and Zippy's. (we didn't go for restauraunts, but these were the ones we visited.)rnThe best picture I took was of me (us) (haven't checked them all out, yet.)rnI can't wait to tell all my friends that we rode horses in the hills along the North Shore. My advice to someone else staying at this unit would be take time to rest and relax, too! The part of my trip I would definitely recommend to others is on the Big Island, you definitely have to visit the Volcano National Park. The best "insider tip" I received while on my trip was buy gifts to take home at the swap meet. I didn't have time this trip, but next trip to Hawaii I'm looking forward to hiking.
Ryan N., Placentia, CA, 7.29.07
- The house had a fantastic veiw. There was lots of open space and yet good privacy for the bed rooms. There were enough bathrooms and they were very functional. The was very useable kitchen and it also had the view of the 0cean. The property manager was very congenial and helpful. The property was well located because of the great beach and accessable to other parts of the island.
Jerry R., San Antonio, Texas, 7.19.07
- We enjoyed staying at the Ocean House. I would recommend that you tell people that beach towels are included. We liked the fact that the house was large enough that our whole family could stay together. The manger was very responsive to our needs and very friendly. Staying on the beach was great.
Phyllis B., Williamsburg, VA, 6.25.07
- Great Location, cool pool and place to hang out. Buzz's has some great seafood specials and the soup and salad bar is a great value. You will love it if you stay here, brought me back to hanging out in the beach cottages of my family as a kid.
Edward J., Austin, TX, 6.19.07
- The Apartment had all we could need and if we needed anything else Sandy the housekeeper was their to provide it. The home was beautiful,beds were very comfortable! The Beach was all ours it was a very little nice walk and we owned the beach at any given time there was only about 12 people on the 2 mile stretch. It was very memorable! My daughter loved the pool it was like bath water! MAHALO ! The Puckett Family
Kim P., Fenton, MI, 4.21.07
- This is our second year at Honu Hale Lanikai. We stay with our son and his wife and baby daughter who live in Honolulu. The separate upstairs suite is perfect for us, and it is a great vacation for everyone.
Stephen W., Glendale, CA, 4.16.07
- We truly enjoyed the Ocean House very comfortable for a large group and a great location.
Kevin M., San Jose, CA, 4.16.07
- We loved the beach house,can't wait to plan our next visit.The house was more than what we expected. Loved it.
Ian or Kelli P., Medford, OR, 4.11.07
- Beautiful location, lovely setting. Lots of room for the whole gang. We enjoyed just sitting out in the back, looking at the beautiful view and watching the sea turtles. Make sure you don't leave any food out at night!
Gary W., Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan, 3.29.07
- The house was great! Everything was exactly as indicated on the web site. This was a family reunion and participation in the Pearl Harbor Dec 7 activities in memory of our beloved Dad, Grandpa and Great Grandpa. The closeness of the ocean, the view and the well equipped kitchen and house assisted in making this a memorable occasion! Thank you and Mahola!
Shirley S., Phoenix, AZ, 12.11.06
- My family and I loved this house and had a great time there, celebrating my mom's 50th (Hawaii 5-0!) birthday! We would definitely like to come back and stay there again. The views were amazing, the house had a very unique feel to it, that added that extra special touch to our vacation. Thank you!
Michelle K., Pleasant Hill, CA, 12.11.06
- The house and pool were great. The house was sectioned off so we didn't feel crowded. The short walk to the beach made it very convienient. We loved it and would recommend it.
Cherish R., McCall, ID, 12.4.06
Patricia K., Ludlow, VT, 11.27.06
- The house was fantastic. The location is great, it's well equipped, and we never saw a bug (a rarity in Hawaii). Only downside was that the pool was much colder than advertised - it didn't seem to be heated at all. But with the fantastic Lanikai beach just 1 block away, it didn't matter! We loved this house and would love to come back to it.
Lisa B., San Ramon, CA, 11.1.06
- Fantastic location. Helpful manager, Great pool. Great master suite.
Laura K., San Francisco, CA, 10.22.06
- We had a very short stay, but it was very comfortable and peaceful. Lots of room and the cool was an added bonus. Thank you very much.
Cindy V., Kailua, HI, 10.2.06
- The house was more than we imagined or than the pictures show. It was very well appointed and decorated. To the owner: Thank you so very much for letting us share in your piece of paradise.
Caroline H., Lake Zurich, IL, 9.27.06
- We had 15 people at Ocean House, fixed dinner every night and breakfast every morning... not once did we feel crowded or uncomfortable. AND there is no way we could beat that view. Lanikai - What a wonderful, special place!!!
Laura or Hans G., San Jose, CA, 9.18.06
- This was a great place to stay for a family group who likes some separation of space. The pool is a real plus along with the proximity to the beach. We had a wonderful time. Thank you
Robert K., 8.23.06
- We had a great time. The house is very clean, spacious and got practically everything you can think of. We hope to come back soon!
Jackie N., Wheaton, IL, 8.17.06
- We really enjoyed our week. There is nothing fancy about the cottage, but it is clean and everything works. The view is amazing. It was a perfect vacation.
Jim Stigler C., Santa Monica, CA, 8.14.06
- The only unfortunate part of the stay was the daily, loud early morning construction noises. I guess one can never control the environment to the extent one would like.... In every other respect, the house was great. It gave all of us enough room, we loved the local beaches and we enjoyed being at "home" at the end of the day.
Ann C., Portland, ME, 8.14.06
- Our stay at the Ocean House couldn't have been any better. We had 20 people in our party and it never felt crowded. The view from the living room is awesome! It sure made my inlaw's 40th wedding anniversary one to remember. We hope to be able to visit again soon. Thank you so much!
Tom M., Indio, CA, 8.6.06
- We loved the house, especially having the pool. Being so close to the ocean and the beautiful Lanakai beach, coupled with the privacy of the swimming pool made for a very relaxing, enjoyable vacation.
Greg H., Vallejo, California, 8.1.06
- Superb, relaxing, convenient location! We will come back!! Aloha, Keith and Sushe'
Keith B., Glendale, AZ, 7.27.06
- The house is clean and comfortable, has everything you need, and the view is absolutely incredible. The nearby Lanikai and Kailua beaches were wonderful. My husband, two teenage sons, and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Mary K., Austin, TX, 7.24.06
1 - 100 of 150
Lanikai vacation reviews