- big island
- puako vacation reviews
- We had a very great time in the Bamboo villa which is very nice with all the things that you can need during your stay. And the view on the beach is just a gift every morning.
Aude B., LA Jolla, CA, 8.21.15
- Our special Puako vacation Quite possibly the best vacation I've ever had. We are frequent visitors of the Hawaiian islands but never had accommodations quite like this. The pictures on the website did not embellish the home but accurately depicted the vacation rental. We were there for an anniversary celebration and we had our children and grandchildren there and it easily fit our needs. We all agreed that Puako had that "old Hawaii feel" which was unique to the other islands. The owner provided us with paddle boards, kayaks and other ocean related equipment which was greatly appreciated. Would definitely recommend to friends or relatives.
- The Quintessential Hawaiian Experience This was our second stay here. We loved it so much we had to come back. After traveling to many dreamy destinations we have decided we just adore Hawaii. We have been to all of the islands but the big island is our favorite and I think this house is the reason. We were here 5 years ago and were pleased to discover that this visit the house and grounds were just as meticulously clean and maintained as our first time here. I don't think the photos and description can accurately capture the awe-inspiring beauty of this luxurious home. I understand the owners designed this house and that it has been featured in Architectural Digest. It is spacious and beautifully decorated with Hawaiian touches everywhere. There is nothing like waking in a master suite to the sound and beauty of the pacific. This time we snorkeled in the very private lagoon and saw gorgeous unique fish not to mention the 5+ sea turtles who sunned and swam with us. I would definitely recommend the luau at the Mauna Kea. Gorgeous setting with delicious food and the story of the luau told through the beautiful Hawaiian music and dance. It was a smaller group as well so every seat had a great view. For a truly unique dining experience the Blue Dragon is a must. Amazing food. Both of these places are a 10 minute drive from the house. I can't wait to go back to Puako and this house. The owners are extremely easy to work with and their goal is to exceed your expectations. They have certainly done that for us, we are planning our family reunion here! :)
- This was my 2nd stay at this home, and we are already booked for our 3rd. It is perfection! The location, the infinity pool, the outdoor hot shower, the 4 gorgeous bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, the fabulous music selection and speakers throughout the house, the "they've thought of everything" kitchen, and the insanely fabulous adjustable lighting - oh, and the views - spectacular! All of that and then the hard to explain pure MAGIC of the house itself. The design is 1000 on a scale of 1-10. I don't know the owners personally, but I am in awe of them for designing the perfect home...stunning to look at and practical in every way. Even the few hours that I had to work were made bearable by having easy to access internet, and views over the living room and out to the pool and the ocean. Speaking of ocean...we were in it every day, because the house comes with 3 awesome kayaks, and 4 paddle boards, and a phenomenal selection of snorkel equipment. Turtles aren't just in brochures either, they are everywhere, and beyond the tide pools is some of the best snorkeling in the world. When we weren't in the water, or in the stunning living room, or taking an afternoon nap in the fabulously air conditioned bedrooms (yes, it IS nice to have air conditioning available if you want it), we were busy feeling like locals - using the great bikes to pop down to the Puako market, where you feel welcome after your first visit. ISLAND GOURMET grocery store is very convenient too, just down at the QUEEN's SHOPS-hard to explain, but Hale Nana Kohala is easy access to everything, yet feels remote and private while you are in it. This review would not be complete without mentioning the pre-arrival. Jodi is AMAZING! She feels like a best friend before you arrive, and will do as little or as much as you like to advance your stay. She will stock the house with the hardest to find of items, or will open up the house, and let you feel like you are arriving at "your" own place. She is anticipatory, informational, and always only a call or just an email away. She masterfully schedules regular maintenance, lawn & housekeeping around your schedule, so that your privacy is never intruded upon. In closing,I hesitated to write this review, because I didn't want too many people to find this gem, but that wouldn't be fair. The world would be a better place if more people got to experience this kind of a "hopefully not once in a lifetime" kind of magic! THANK YOU!!
Charlotte H., 6.4.14
- From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, this house was the perfect location for our family vacation. The manager is friendly, helpful, well-informed. She welcomed us to the property and gave us a summary of how things work. The house is as beautiful as it photographs. It has multiple living areas, so family members can drift off and have quieter moments when needed. The house is perfectly situated, with a soft grass lawn, and sandy beach leading to tidal pools. Bring surf shoes to walk on the lava at the tide pools. There are crabs, fish, shellfish, sea urchins, turtles to marvel at in the tide pools. There are plenty of birds surrounding the house throughout the day. The house faces relatively north, so as you sit and enjoy the wonderful view across the pool and the lawn to the ocean, you aren't necessarily fully in the sun, but there is plenty of deck space in the sun too. The pool is heated, which is a great treat on the islands. It has a large flat area that is several inches deep, with steps leading down from this platform, so it's perfect for small children to play in as well. We had three nineteen-month old cousins there and they were able to enjoy the pool fully. The house is well furnished and well stocked, you are truly staying in someone's home, not just a rental that someone has created. There are great recommendations in the house book regarding pretty much anything you could want to know about the house and the region. There is plenty to do in the area, and around the island, but in a house this beautiful, we didn't feel a great urge to venture of for adventures. We had plenty right here, staying put. I highly recommend this house; you cannot be disappointed. I hope to return again next year.
- Dish washer broken. No Wi Fi. But we enjoyed our stay, and everyone agreed they would return.
Arleen M., Kaneohe, HI, 5.25.12
- We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the condo. We rented sight-unseen from the internet - you never know what you're going to get. We loved the condo! The view from the lanai was spectacular with a wonderful ocean view and we were able to see whales playing in the bay just to our north as well as Maui in the background. Out the back of the condo, we had amazing views of Mauna Kea and sometimes even Mauna Loa. Just across the road was the ocean access. We saw many turtles lounging on the lava rocks and swimming in the shallows. At the end of the road (about a mile) was a lovely public beach access that would be a great place to spend the day with the kids playing in the water. The condo is located about 30 minutes north of the airport and 35-40 minutes north of Kona itself. There are plenty of amenities nearby if you choose not to drive all the way into Kona. The condo itself was very clean and well-maintained. The grounds and pool were in exceptionally good shape, especially considering the building was built some 30+ years ago. It was quiet and well-maintained. All the amenities as listed in the rental agreement were in good working condition. We'll definitely be renting this condo the next time we're on the Big Island!
Tracy A., Dallas, Texas, 1.14.09
- My family and I feel like we were ih Hawaii. We happened to go to the Dolphin Quest at the Hilton. We stayed at the pool for the day. If someone stays at the Hilton and says they were in Hawaii, they are sadly mistaken. Thanks for a wonderful Hawaiin experience. The Farinacci Family
Joe F., Sagamore Hills, Ohio, 7.30.08
- Well you still have me down for 403 is what I booked and payed for but when we got there the door was locked and it was 9:30 at night and we were beside ourselves. It all got straighted out after a 1/2 hour and we were told that they put us in 407 instead because the owner of 403 had returned or something like that was the only downfall. But I was told you sent me a email which I did not ever recieve since you still think I was in 403 by your email. We had a great time and the room was great we will be back but I do hope that we get the right room and the door is open this time. Mahalo and I thank you again for a great time. Tracey & Josh Hardy
Tracey H., Spokane, WA, 5.24.07
- Wow, what a superb house. We will be back! Thank you so much for your kind hospitality. John, Ana, Katie, Michelle, Rebecca, Jessica, Annie and Danielle Weinel
John W., Lakeville, Minnesota, 4.9.07
- Location gave us access to the Kohala beaches and we are happy about that. We liked being on the 3rd floor (but above the driveway?) No complaints. See you again.
Lucille S., Oakland, CA, 12.17.06
- Please remove the coconuts. We got hit by small coconuts falling and it created quite a bit of anxiety.
Chris S., Portola Valley, CA, 11.20.06
- The location is superb - if you have a car which we did, and although the Condo is clean is was in need of modernisation really.
Paul S., Maidenhead, Berkshire, 1.11.06
- The house was spectacular, the setting incrediable! The house was well appointed and comfortable, we had a great time and would love to return again. Thank you so much for you help and hospitality.
Suzie B., Los Angeles, Ca, 12.29.04
- I have been to Aina malia three or four times with friends or family. We prize the seclusion and the beauty of the setting. The house is nice. Two of the bedrooms are very airy and light, one is somewhat dark with essentially no outside windows. The tower bedrom is nice but the noise of the wind in the palms can be a bit much when sleeping.
Chris S., Portola Valley, CA, 12.24.04