- Big Island vacation reviews
- Candace with Hawaiian Beach Rentals was great. The check in information from Jessica was easy to follow. We had several issues on a daily basis during our stay starting with no hot water during shower on the first night, problems turning on/off shower in master bath every day, ants in the kitchen every day, cable Guide stopped working daily, ceiling fan in living room didn't work the first night and the ice maker didn't dispense ice for 3 days. Initially Michelle responded in a timely manner, but as the stay continued, response was slower. We asked for compensation for all of these issues and Michelle said she couldn't address that so we asked for the person who could to call us but we had difficulties getting a response from that person. We would not rebook or recommend this rental, but would possibly rebook with Hawaiian Beach Rental. I have rented through Hawaiian Beach Rentals a few times, frequently rented through Airbnb and VRBO and never had issues with the rentals, this was the first negative experience.
Lee O., Shawnee, KS, 1.4.20
- Excellent and prompt attention to issue with fridge temperature issues. We were one beach towel short for our group of 8, but had brought a few of our own. We did use sofa beds but as is the case with these the mattresses are poor quality, unavoidable.
- Great location and beach club is world class.
Ruth D., Calgary, AB, 4.8.19
- The area and the unit were great. I thought having white or beige carpet was stupid. When we booked this a year ago, the property was incorrect with the number of beds. It didn't matter to us, we had only 7 in our family, but was listed as having room with K, room with 2 queens, room with 2 singles, and 2 hide a beds. I brought this to your attn., and the listing was taken down, instead of being corrected, so we were never sure what the F we were getting.townhome has room with K, room with Q, and room with 2 singles, and 1 hide a bed. condition of rental was great. also towards the end of our trip, some neighbor called the homeowner, and told him he thought we were smoking on the patio, and they might charge us a $500.00 penalty. None of us smoke, mabey it was my 9 year old grandson, snuck out for one, irritating, scam. No I don't recommend this unit, and we left the freakin place almost and mabey as clean as it was on arrival. I won't book with you all again !!!
Ricki M., 4.28.17
- Everything was fantastic!!
Emmanuelle P., 9.26.16
- Great location and wonderful space for a family visit. Very well supplied. Snorkel beaches nearby, beautiful petroglyph park and really cool swimming pool. Lava Lava Beach Restaurant was our favorite family friendly dining spot. If you want a super charter boat trip, take the Endless Summer outing with Brian and crew. Get their contact info from Peter at Snorkel Bobs. Swim with dolphins! Aloha!
Lynette W., Winthrop, WA, 7.20.16
- We loved the beautiful grounds of the Waikaloa Beach Villas. Also, easy walking to shops and dining. Our unit, E32 was beautifully decorated, large, and well stocked! We were able to entertain our family who were staying at the Marriott. Also, loved all the beach equipment for enjoying Hupano Beach. Thanks so much for a wonderful 9 days! Mahalo and Aloha
Lynn W., Novato, CA, 7.1.16
- Had a wonderful stay ... everything was just lovely. Thank you!
Margot K., La Conner, WA, 2.24.16
- We were a large group of 8 adults and 5 children. The house accommodated all of us beautifully. The grounds were well kept and the pool was great fun, although a little cloudy because the bag on the mechanism that cleans the bottom of the pool would get full of plaster that is chipping on the bottom and would be too heavy to continue doing it's job. We had to clean it out at least 3 times. Or maybe not enough chlorine being used? Starting with the first night through the fourth night a stomach bug passed through the majority of the group, sparing only 4 children an 2 adults. We thought it was very strange because we came from different parts of the country and did not all eat the same thing after we arrived. We felt it was wise to reclean all surfaces and doorknobs throughout the house. Since the house was closed up when we arrived and there was no smell of bleach, I have to wonder if they use bleach regularly when they clean the house. I'm not so sure I would recommend renting a house to my friends.
Wendy H., Camas, WA, 2.18.16
- We really enjoyed staying at Keauhou Lani. Excellent accommodation, beautifully furnished, fabulous view and a very helpful support from the agent. Our family enjoyed snorkelling and the manta rays, and the visit to the volcano rim. We would fully recommend this accommodation to future vacationers.
Douglas B., 1.13.16
- We recently stayed at the "Collessie by the sea" and were more than pleased with the quality and cleanliness of the house. There were 5 adults and we had lots of room and felt we had our private get away with the way the house is set up. We plan on returning in the new year. The best part was late night swims in the gorgeous pool. The house is very central to shopping and restaurants and not far from the beach.
Debbie Marshal, 12.17.15
- The home was lovely, however the cleanliness had much to be desired. The floors and counters were kind of sticky. Had no problem living with our little green friends but there was poop everywhere and apparently the cockroaches out numbered them. One beds out of 5 was comfortable. We enjoyed the outdoors, the pool was great however the lounge chairs were not clean. All in all we had a Wonderful time and enjoyed great customer service. We would definitely recommend your services and the home. We are sad to be back home in the wet and cold. Thank you
Tracey C., Bremerton, WA, 12.13.15
- 5 stars!!! Extremely Private Location with an incredible view, simply outstanding. We just returned from paradise and wish we could still be there in your amazing home!! Word's cannot express how much we LOVED the home. The house is so much more than the pictures, it is beautifully decorated and very private. Needless to say we did NOT want to leave, we skipped a few beach days to just hang out by the pool. We spent most evenings on the lanai - BBQ, infinity edge pool, and beautiful sunsets every night! We had a front row seat to all of this amazing property! By far, the best equipped kitchen in any property we have EVER stayed in !!Top quality everything! Thank you!!Also, the outdoor grill and lanai were amazing. We will be coming back . . . SOON! Thank you for making our vacation the best ever!!
Mark M., 12.12.15
- We had a very great time in the Bamboo villa which is very nice with all the things that you can need during your stay. And the view on the beach is just a gift every morning.
Aude B., LA Jolla, CA, 8.21.15
- Overall:3 The location of the home was great. 5 minutes from the beach & downtown, yet quiet neighborhood. The home itself was pretty good. Apparently, the maids that cleaned the house prior to our arrival loaded the outside garbages & did not take them to the street for pickup. We did call the handy-man & he took care of the garbage right away. We planned a BBQ only to find out that the propane had been left on & the bottles were empty. We had to exchange the bottle at Wal-mart. The Geckos were something to get used to running around the house, but no big deal. The kitchen/dining room area was overwhelmed with little white spiders/bugs everywhere. We kept ALL food in the fridge. Might be time for a fumigation. House was very spacious with a good floor plan. The pool could have been cleaner, but the kids did use it. Will we go back to Kona? DEFINITELY!! Will we stay at Hibiscus Hale? Probably not. Kona is an incredible place!! We truly enjoyed every minute we were there.
David F., Miles City, MT, 6.21.15
- This house was perfect for our Hawaii vacation. Our host Shannon was extremely helpful from the beginning with her detailed instructions and recommended places and activities. The house was perfectly clean and fully equipped with necessary kitchen utensils. The front porch is perfect for a cup of coffee in the morning with great ocean view. We definitely rent this house again if we ever come back to Big Island, and would highly recommend it to a friend. There's plenty of snorkeling and beach equipment in the garage. Thank you Shannon for sharing your beautiful house.
Yung T., 5.31.15
- I enjoyed my stay at this house so much. The best vacation I have ever had. The house was gorgeous. Beautiful kitchen. And having the pool was the best part. Milton was fabulous and in general the service people so helpful and friendly. Would recommend highly.
Cheryl S., Grayland, WA, 2.24.15
- Hibiscus Hale was everything we thought it would be and more. The property, home, and pool are fabulous, with a fantastic sunset every evening. The home is centrally located in town. The beds were very comfortable. We did have to make a few repairs ourselves, as one of the ceiling fans was missing a screw, resulting in a screeching noise when the fan was turned on. The balcony sliding door would not lock properly until we screwed down the latching mechanism. There was a small problem with the home on the first day, and we had to stay at a hotel, which was paid for by the home owner.
Greg A., Victoria, BC, 2.10.15
- Clean well managed facility with a well stocked kitchen and knives that were actually sharp! A first for me! I was very satisfied with the overall experience and would recommend the rental especially for people with families. My husband and I especially enjoyed walking around the area the fresh air.
Cynthia S., 10.12.14
- Great condo for our family vacation. My only big issue was that we were supposed to check in at 3:00. We had requested an early check in (since our plane arrived at 9:30 & we had been up since 4:00am our time). I was told they would do the best they could (which is all I ask for). However, after killing time and arriving at 3:15 with two exhausted kids, the cleaning staff was not finished, and told me they would be done in a half hour. Alright, we took off and killed another 45 minute. When we got back, the staff was still finishing up. I don't know it this is the norm, but it was not appreciated. Other than that, the condo, pool, facility was very nice. I highly recommend it for your family vacation.
Richard R., Ben Lomond, CA, 8.21.14
- Our special Puako vacation Quite possibly the best vacation I've ever had. We are frequent visitors of the Hawaiian islands but never had accommodations quite like this. The pictures on the website did not embellish the home but accurately depicted the vacation rental. We were there for an anniversary celebration and we had our children and grandchildren there and it easily fit our needs. We all agreed that Puako had that "old Hawaii feel" which was unique to the other islands. The owner provided us with paddle boards, kayaks and other ocean related equipment which was greatly appreciated. Would definitely recommend to friends or relatives.
- The Quintessential Hawaiian Experience This was our second stay here. We loved it so much we had to come back. After traveling to many dreamy destinations we have decided we just adore Hawaii. We have been to all of the islands but the big island is our favorite and I think this house is the reason. We were here 5 years ago and were pleased to discover that this visit the house and grounds were just as meticulously clean and maintained as our first time here. I don't think the photos and description can accurately capture the awe-inspiring beauty of this luxurious home. I understand the owners designed this house and that it has been featured in Architectural Digest. It is spacious and beautifully decorated with Hawaiian touches everywhere. There is nothing like waking in a master suite to the sound and beauty of the pacific. This time we snorkeled in the very private lagoon and saw gorgeous unique fish not to mention the 5+ sea turtles who sunned and swam with us. I would definitely recommend the luau at the Mauna Kea. Gorgeous setting with delicious food and the story of the luau told through the beautiful Hawaiian music and dance. It was a smaller group as well so every seat had a great view. For a truly unique dining experience the Blue Dragon is a must. Amazing food. Both of these places are a 10 minute drive from the house. I can't wait to go back to Puako and this house. The owners are extremely easy to work with and their goal is to exceed your expectations. They have certainly done that for us, we are planning our family reunion here! :)
- This was my 2nd stay at this home, and we are already booked for our 3rd. It is perfection! The location, the infinity pool, the outdoor hot shower, the 4 gorgeous bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, the fabulous music selection and speakers throughout the house, the "they've thought of everything" kitchen, and the insanely fabulous adjustable lighting - oh, and the views - spectacular! All of that and then the hard to explain pure MAGIC of the house itself. The design is 1000 on a scale of 1-10. I don't know the owners personally, but I am in awe of them for designing the perfect home...stunning to look at and practical in every way. Even the few hours that I had to work were made bearable by having easy to access internet, and views over the living room and out to the pool and the ocean. Speaking of ocean...we were in it every day, because the house comes with 3 awesome kayaks, and 4 paddle boards, and a phenomenal selection of snorkel equipment. Turtles aren't just in brochures either, they are everywhere, and beyond the tide pools is some of the best snorkeling in the world. When we weren't in the water, or in the stunning living room, or taking an afternoon nap in the fabulously air conditioned bedrooms (yes, it IS nice to have air conditioning available if you want it), we were busy feeling like locals - using the great bikes to pop down to the Puako market, where you feel welcome after your first visit. ISLAND GOURMET grocery store is very convenient too, just down at the QUEEN's SHOPS-hard to explain, but Hale Nana Kohala is easy access to everything, yet feels remote and private while you are in it. This review would not be complete without mentioning the pre-arrival. Jodi is AMAZING! She feels like a best friend before you arrive, and will do as little or as much as you like to advance your stay. She will stock the house with the hardest to find of items, or will open up the house, and let you feel like you are arriving at "your" own place. She is anticipatory, informational, and always only a call or just an email away. She masterfully schedules regular maintenance, lawn & housekeeping around your schedule, so that your privacy is never intruded upon. In closing,I hesitated to write this review, because I didn't want too many people to find this gem, but that wouldn't be fair. The world would be a better place if more people got to experience this kind of a "hopefully not once in a lifetime" kind of magic! THANK YOU!!
Charlotte H., 6.4.14
- From the moment we arrived, until the moment we left, this house was the perfect location for our family vacation. The manager is friendly, helpful, well-informed. She welcomed us to the property and gave us a summary of how things work. The house is as beautiful as it photographs. It has multiple living areas, so family members can drift off and have quieter moments when needed. The house is perfectly situated, with a soft grass lawn, and sandy beach leading to tidal pools. Bring surf shoes to walk on the lava at the tide pools. There are crabs, fish, shellfish, sea urchins, turtles to marvel at in the tide pools. There are plenty of birds surrounding the house throughout the day. The house faces relatively north, so as you sit and enjoy the wonderful view across the pool and the lawn to the ocean, you aren't necessarily fully in the sun, but there is plenty of deck space in the sun too. The pool is heated, which is a great treat on the islands. It has a large flat area that is several inches deep, with steps leading down from this platform, so it's perfect for small children to play in as well. We had three nineteen-month old cousins there and they were able to enjoy the pool fully. The house is well furnished and well stocked, you are truly staying in someone's home, not just a rental that someone has created. There are great recommendations in the house book regarding pretty much anything you could want to know about the house and the region. There is plenty to do in the area, and around the island, but in a house this beautiful, we didn't feel a great urge to venture of for adventures. We had plenty right here, staying put. I highly recommend this house; you cannot be disappointed. I hope to return again next year.
- We thought that the staff was super friendly and helpful. The location was quiet even though it was close to a busy road. It would have been nice to have an overhead fan in the unit since we are not fans of air conditioning. We think that the "Quiet Pool" needs more seating as many left because of the lack of chairs/lounges. A number of folks were not briefed on why the north pool is a quiet pool, and they obviously did not read the sign when they came through the gate.
Bill M., Qualcum Beach, BC, 4.18.14
- The stay would have been perfect except for 2 items: 1. The air conditioning in the small bedroom did not work. 2. The glass top of the coffee table wobbled badly because the base of the table is cracked inside.
Paula C., 3.16.14
- I loved the quiet of the Villa by the sea and the view from the lani was just as nice as it looks in the pictures. It is way up the hill so I didn't try to walk/climb anywhere. The bright Hawaiian decor is delightful.
Carol S., Lincoln, NB, 3.4.14
- Fantastic residence, extremely well equipped! Close to all shopping, highway, the beach, etc. Highly recommend!
Brian S., Las vegas, NV, 3.4.14
- Excellent accommodations - Great location - Well furnished - Quiet and well-maintained . Beach was excellent for snorkeling .
Garth M., Port Alberni, BC, 1.25.14
- Villa B5 was very clean and kitchen was well furnished w/ lots of cooking supplies (pots/pans/baking dishes). The set of kitchen knives definitely need to be sharpened or replaced. The broken toaster was replaced very quickly (someone must have dropped it at one time) and the laundry and dishwashing detergents were also provided promptly by the customer service agents, and handyman arrived at designated time to change lanai lighting. Lots of towels and linens provided. View of Mauna Kea spectacular. A/C seemed to be too warm for sleeping at night and freezing in the afternoon. Nice pool close by, close to golf course, great restaurants and grocery store at Mauna Lani shopping complexgood gro
Karma N., 12.6.13
- This is a great place! First of all, the weather is dry and warm. The beach is but a few minutes walk away, and is beautiful. The unit (3 bedrooms) was beautiful, well kept up and well appointed. The exterior grounds are also beautiful. We were right on the golf course, if you like to watch duffers and good players alike. Waikoloa is a good, centralized place for touring the rest of the island. [We went NW to the coast, NE to the coast, S to Kona, and literally all the way around the Island to see the volcanoes.] There was no trouble finding or getting into the unit. The site, both internal and external was quiet. We appreciated that. There are however, some drawbacks. Amenities like restaurants and gas stations and grocery stores are limited. The near-by restaurants are pricey and not that good. One notable exception was the Lava Lava Club. It was reasonably priced, good food and drinks, and the service was great. Otherwise, plan on a trip to downtown Kona, or to Waimea. If you want gas and groceries, plan on stopping at COSTCO which is near the Kona airport, otherwise be prepared to spend a lot! I also thought that the unit was a bit pricey given the occupancy rate. But having said all that, we enjoyed our stay very much and will be back.
Rebecca G., 12.5.13
- My family and I stayed for one week at this lovely property. It provided us with everything we needed during our stay. It was a pleasure to return to this peaceful home, after each day of exploring the Big Island. This was far preferable to staying in the crush of the tourist areas of Kona. We will return! Gerald Parker
- This rental property was first rate and in such an excellent secure location. We will stay there again in a heartbeat. Ben Jew
- We stayed at "Villa by the Sea" for 8 days just last month. I chose this property due to its close proximity to downtown Kona thinking we could walk downtown. We ended up not ever doing that as we were always out exploring the island in our car so we just stopped downtown on our way back to the house. A fit person definitely could walk down there if they wanted although the walk back up the hill would be a good workout! Our son walked and biked downtown by himself nearly every day we were there. The house was very comfortable, clean, is well-represented in the pictures and had everything we needed. The beach chairs, boogie boards and snorkel equipment are great features! We used the cooler every day as we packed our snacks and headed out to explore the island. The view from the front lanai is awesome as it is in the pictures and the neighborhood was very quiet and felt safe... we actually slept with the doors open and screens locked each night. I enjoyed walking through the neighborhood each morning with my Kona coffee. The street is quite steep in parts and it provides an easy way to exercise if you walk down to the gates and back up a couple times. The owner was very responsive and apologetic to two extremely minor issues we had while we were there: 1) the bicycle tires were flat. So we bought a pump at Walmart and sent the owner the receipt. The reimbursement check was waiting for me when we arrived home! 2) A handle on a kitchen drawer came loose so we just left that drawer open and it's probably already been repaired. Overall, I'm very glad I chose to stay here and would absolutely stay again and recommend it to anyone! Mark Georgescu
- Excellent house with a view in a quiet gated community. The best "stocked" house of the 5 we have rented on the Big Island from kitchen to bed and bath. There was plenty of snorkel equipment but we did bring our own mask and snorkel(s). The house has a good supply of beach needs such as towels, chairs, and mats. Quiet and relaxing rear patio and the front lani was great for morning coffee and viewing the harbor and open ocean. The owners are very responsive to questions and needs. I plan to stay next year if possible Ray Mesinger
- Beautiful well appointed home, even better then the pictures reveal. Surround sound system, cd's and player. We had many meals at home, kitchen well stocked with equipment, including spices. Great location to watch a sunset. Grocery store and other conveniences near by. You won't be disappointed if you rent this home.
Marcia F., Wauwatosa, WI, 11.23.13
- I fully enjoyed my stay at the Hibiscus Hale. It felt like home. The house was clean and very roomy. The kitchen is very spacious and stocked with all the kitchen gadgets needed. The fridge could have been turned on, cleaned and deordorized at least a week before we arrived; the pool filter needs a little upgrade, but other than those two small detaisl everything was great. I have recommended the rental to friends. Hawaii is one of my favorite places to visit during work or play and I would be more that happy to stay at the Hibiscus Hale again, it was a comfort I looked forward to returning to after having a very busy day. Mahalo
Jovita M., La Habra, CA, 9.18.13
- The amenitys and location were great. loved having the snorkels, beach towels, and pool gear. Only one small recommendation...The bedroom ceiling fans were hard to turn on because the pull chain was high. We didn't feel comfortable opening the lanai and bottom windows since the children were downstairs so the rooms heated easily at night. Just add longer pull chains to the fans and it would be perfect.
Lorna M., 8.11.13
- House was awesome. My children enjoyed the the gold carts to get around with. My youngest son relished Kings Pond, snorkeling was the best!
Renee S. S., Basom, NY, 7.15.13
- We enjoyed our stay at this Condo. It was clean, and nicely updated. The view is very pretty and the "A" beach, within walking distance, is a nice hang out--loved all the turtles, and, the Lava Lava Beach Club restaurant and bar right on the beach, with live music and torches. The pool at the Fairway Villas is beautiful. We shopped at Safeway in Kona because the markets by the Villas are very expensive. We had everything we needed in the kitchen to cook our dinners. We ESPECIALLY appreciated use of the cooler, boogie boards and 3 sets of snorkeling gear. The King Sized bed was so comfy. It was a little bit hard to sleep 6 (we have 4 children) when they don't want to share a bed, so the little one got the small couch. The outside balcony is a nice way to relax. We enjoyed Hapuna Beach and Beach 69 and a few beaches in Kona (if you like snorkeling, don't' miss "The Place of Refuge" area or Kahaluu Beach Park!. One highlight was the sunset from Mauna Kea and star-gazing at the observatory (they have many high powered telescopes set out).
Deborah V., 7.14.13
- Loved the quiet setting and the pool was a pleasant surprise. The condo was a great size for our family. I would say that the kitchen saved us and I would suggest just a few back up items would have made it perfect....extra garbage bags, and toilet paper. The reason I gave it a 4 out of 5 is that I believe it was the write up or the phone call that mentioned a 5 minute walk from the beach and that was not the case. We so appreciated the beach gear and the towels though. The best part of the trip for us was, being able to be together as a family. I really was thankful for the availability of the agent who answered all my questions by phone when we first got there. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us.
Noel D., 6.20.13
- The overall quality of your rental. Very good (4) Customer service : Excellent, immediate responded to all concerns. (5) Condition and cleanliness: Unit very clean, beach chairs and outdoor gear showing wear. (4) Overall satisfaction ;Very happy (4). Book the rental again? Too large for just 4 adults, Recommend for family group (4) Best part of your trip: Plenty of space, good parking, 5 minutes to town activities. (4) Anything else: Hot tub heater not functioning, awaiting parts and service. (1)
Donald D., San Rafael, CA, 3.3.13
- The house is lovely. Beautifully located, with sounds of the surf being ever present. The area around the pool is especially attractive. Hard to go wrong with this house.
Alexander A., Fairhope, AL, 2.26.13
- Hibiscus Hale was great. We loved the home and the layout. I am planning to use the main floor plan as a model for my retirement house. The weather and atmosphere was fantastic. The neighborhood was quiet, except for the wild roosters in the area that would give us a wake up call at dawn. The beds were very comfortable. We enjoyed great restaurants, beaches, snorkeling and fishing all within 15 minutes of the house. The waterfalls and the volcanoes were a day trip. If we plan to come to Hawaii again, Hibiscus Hale would be part of our plans and we would defiantly recommend the home.
Stephen B., Adrian, MI, 2.18.13
- The owner was very helpful in providing a detailed guide for guests with recommendations of activities and places to eat. The home is spacious, comfortable and well supplied. The back garden, with its water feature and night lighting is relaxing. The view of the ocean and sunset down the hill off the front deck is very nice. We would give this home over the top marks if it were literally on the beach, but in Kona, that does not happen.
Chris M., West linn, OR, 1.20.13
- We stayed as an extended family of 9 people, with 3 small children and we found the house was fabulous. We were able to have personal space when desired and yet be all together at times as well. The basement rec room was perfect for the kids with lots of games and space for them to play. We would definitely rent this house again in the future. We did find the pool lights were an issue. We saw the note left by the owners but unfortunately, following the instructions did not fix the problem. We are aware a part is on order and are sure that issue will be dealt with. Overall, we had a great trip. Thanks for the use of your wonderful home!
Lesley L., Burlington, ON, 10.23.12
- BEAUTIFULLY ARRANGED HOUSE AND GUEST HOUSE. THE BEST PLACE TO WATCH WONDERFUL SUNSETS AND 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS. WE LOVED STAYING THERE AND WOULD LOVE TO RENT IT AGAIN.
CARMEN L., DALLLAS, TX, 7.16.12
- The house and the location were evevy thing that we expected. There was plenty of room for the eleven of us the enjoy ourselvers with room the spread out (plenty of beds)! The view was outstandind! The kitchen was well stacked - easy to keep clean. The washer and dryer were a great help. We cooked lots of meals. The pool did not get as much use as I expected. If You have an evening flight leaving, the 10 am checkout does not work very well - 1 PM would be very nice!
William D., Littleton, CO, 7.12.12
- This house is very nice, large and quiet. It was convenient to the area of Kailua-Kona andwas comfortable. The pool had just been maintained with new sand and never cleared fully for our tastes but was bring. worked promptly. The air was in a couplebedrooms
Chris R., Collinsville, IL, 6.1.12
- Dish washer broken. No Wi Fi. But we enjoyed our stay, and everyone agreed they would return.
Arleen M., Kaneohe, HI, 5.25.12
- The home was perfect, clean and well appointed, just the right size for our extended family (married children and grandkids). We enjoyed having the pool as an alternate to the beach. One small issue was dealt with quickly with lots of follow up. I would definitely recommend this home to others, and rent it again if going to Kona with the crowd.
Barbara S., Milwaukie, OR, 3.27.12
- We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Hawaii and the home - Hibiscus Hale. The house was in a very convenient location and very pleasant. Very well equiped and comfortable. We ventured out daily covering most of the island and were so pleased with the week.
Scott C., Boise, ID, 11.27.11
- This property was very clean, lovely. The kitchen was very well stocked. We very much enjoyed our time and would recommend this property to our friends.
Lorraine S., FRESNO, CA, 7.18.11
- Hibiscus Hale is perfect; roomy, quiet, well equipped. Pool and hot tub are divine, deck is glorious. The beds are very comfortable. Be prepared for some clouds in the afternoons (somewhat of a relief). Kitchen is very well equipped and easy to work in. The greenery surrounding the house and pool is beautiful. We didn't know what to do with our luggage on our last day between check out: 12:00 and our flight: 10:45pm... We loved the local beaches and they are easy to reach...ten min. away. The snorkeling was amazing, sea turtles and colorful fish abound. The food at Fish Hopper was delicious. Drive to the end of 270 and check out the view, breathtaking!
Mark and Elizabeth O., Germantown, TN, 3.20.11
- We all really enjoyed the house we rented it was very nice and very comfortable and clean. It fit all us very well. It did make us think that the house had two bedrooms with bathrooms connected and it only had one. we felt that was a bit misleading in the way it was worded online. The pool was great really a nice size pool, also very well kept. The one thing we had a problem with was laundry hadn't got brought in until just a couple of days before we left. So we had to buy some towels I think maybe just a misunderstanding for the laundry service as to when all the towels and sheets had to be dropped off. It is a very nice place to stay thank you
Tammy N., Chehalis, Wa, 3.7.11
- The unit was large and clean. Victoria was excellent to deal with. The worst part was that the vaccuflow did not work, Milton came by and said he would bring us another vaccuum but he never got there so I was a bit embarrassed that the floor was so dirty and with a baby crawling around it would have been nice to have. My advice for anyone renting this unit with small children would be that the pool is not heated and it was too cold for a baby to be in. I would however recommend this unit highly for family get togethers as it is large and well stocked, it could however use more mixing bowls. This is the second house we have rented from you and we have always been happily surprised with the units. If it hadn't have been for the vaccuum issue I would have rated it four out of five stars. Maholo!
Lori E., 2.1.11
- Overall it was very nice stay, the condominium was clean, convenient to be next to the pool. On the downside the air conditioner was problematic and did not work at all on the first day and the last day (yes we understood the back doors needed to be shut well after I asked the manager about it, it was not the problem), so got no sleep at all those nights and in particular the last night -- I couldn't belive I was paying that much and the air conditioner wouldn't even work, kind of wrecked the end of the trip for us. --David Powell
Betsy P., Portland, Oregon, 1.3.11
- This property proved to be more beautiful than what we anticipated or the photos can detail. The apponitments were excellent. Plenty of dishes, stemware, pots and pans. We prepared and ate most of our meals in the home. We used the gas grill for several of our meals. Costco, Safeway and Wal-Mart are all just a short drive away. The home is also very close to downtown Kailua-Kona. The property manager and owners were very promt in addressing our questions about the property and solicited our input on any improvements that we had to offer that would make other users more comfortable. The property manager was so nice that the whole family now considers her a part of us. I took several pictures of the property to brag to our friends about our Christams vacation in beautiful Hawaii. We even went to the Christmas eve Island Breeze luau at the King Kamehameha Hotel. We also snorkeled at the Captain Cook monument with the Fairwind II charter. Saw green sea turtles at several of the beaches too. I have been to the Hawaiian Islands numerous times, but this Christmas trip was the best of all thanks to the beauty of the Hibiscus Hale, the friendly staff and having our immediate family together while the grandchildren are still young enough to appreciate it. We had our last meal before departing at the Knoa Inn in downtown. The selection of locally caught fish was excellent. It is out dream to revisit this home again. We would recommend it to anyone. My wife has already made a recommendation to a couple we met at the beach who had a large family gathering and was doing it by renting multiple rooms at an area hotel. They were paying more for the individual rooms than what the home is available for.
Fred M., Newman Lake, WA, 12.29.10
- Well appointed with beach chairs, mats, lots of dishes/pots & pans. Highlight of our trip was a visit to Pu'uohonua Honaunau.
Charles V., Orinda, CA, 10.27.10
- Aloha, Overall accommodations were great and just as described in pre-trip literature. Neighborhood is were maintained and very quiet. House, pool and grounds are aged, but very comfortable and well cared for. Very close to shopping and beaches, however Kona beaches are sparce and crowded. Much of the shoreline is rocky and unsuitable for beach goers. A short drive South to Spencer's Park is well woth the trip and rewards you with white sand beaches and shallow waters for kids to swim and play in. Hot tub did not work at all and the kitchen range oven stopped working two nights prior to our departure. Neither could be repaired prior to departure and the oven created a problem cooking our meals. Safeway Super Market located next door to Wal Mart offers free discount cards that will save you about 25% on grocery purchases. Just ask for a card the Customer Service Counter. We had a party of nine (six adults & three children) at the house for two full weeks and had plenty of room for all and more than enough sleeping accommodations. Aloha !!
Frank M., Floresville, TX, 8.10.10
- The Hibiscus Hale home on the Big Island was perfect for our family. The pool and yard were clean and well maintained. We especially loved the fact that the downstairs was large enough for our kids to have their "own" space. We will definitely come back in the future! Mahalo. To future guests...bring a knife sharpener if you plan on cooking. We easily refilled the propane and bar-b-que'd almost every night. With all the wonderful fresh fish at the local markets - who could resist? Aloha & see you soon.
Monica M., Portland, OR, 11.19.09
- We had a fantastic time at this house. It was everything we had hoped for in our vacation lodging. The house was clean, well kept, and very very well stocked with everything we needed as a family vacation, but could not take with us on the aircraft: beach towels, beach mats, sun umbrella, kids sand toys, etc. Bring your own soap and shampoo.... The beds were fantastic...better than ours at home unfortunately - and the kitchen very well equipped, including a stock of spices and other non-perishables. What we needed we bought locally. We purchased our food at the Sack and Save, and joined their "shopping club". It saved about 30% on our grocery bill, and cost nothing. The place is about 10 miles away from the Kona airport, in a quiet residential neighborhood. Even at night, the house was easy to find on our first arrival, and we had no difficuties with getting in. We never saw anyone else on the street, but it was a nice neighborhood nonetheless. The view from the back deck was beautiful at sunset, but the only way to see the ocean was from the crow's nest office room, up on the very top pf the house. To call this a 'partial ocean view" is a bit of a stretch, but I would not consider it a negative against the listing. Enjoy!
Scott & Ann T., Amherst, NY, 2.20.09
- We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the condo. We rented sight-unseen from the internet - you never know what you're going to get. We loved the condo! The view from the lanai was spectacular with a wonderful ocean view and we were able to see whales playing in the bay just to our north as well as Maui in the background. Out the back of the condo, we had amazing views of Mauna Kea and sometimes even Mauna Loa. Just across the road was the ocean access. We saw many turtles lounging on the lava rocks and swimming in the shallows. At the end of the road (about a mile) was a lovely public beach access that would be a great place to spend the day with the kids playing in the water. The condo is located about 30 minutes north of the airport and 35-40 minutes north of Kona itself. There are plenty of amenities nearby if you choose not to drive all the way into Kona. The condo itself was very clean and well-maintained. The grounds and pool were in exceptionally good shape, especially considering the building was built some 30+ years ago. It was quiet and well-maintained. All the amenities as listed in the rental agreement were in good working condition. We'll definitely be renting this condo the next time we're on the Big Island!
Tracy A., Dallas, Texas, 1.14.09
- The location on Kealaukua Bay was totally wonderful. The snorkeling there was better than any we've seen. The access for kayaking, and snorkeling was great with a feel of privacy we wouldn't have had at the resorts. Kayaking to the monument and seeing the dolphins along the way was the highlight of our trip. The small market on the way into Kona was convenient. The rental company contact was friendly, helpful & available. The house was large & comfortable. Quinn's was a local's restaurant we enjoyed. The manta ray night snorkel trip was a little disappointing for the snorkelers in our group. We found the snorkelers outnumbered the manta's about 50:1. Be sure to bring water shoes, or sturdy waterproof sandals. The lava is tough to walk on & slippery in parts. Avoid the sea urchin spines! '
Sandy and Tom H., Boulder, CO, 8.7.08
- Hello Gary, Yes, our family had a great stay at the Dolphin Retreat. Before I forget, the sink in the upstairs master bath is leaking. The cold knob is leaking under the bowl where it is attached and dripping down onto the shutoff valve and then onto the floor. Suggest you fix that right away. We loved the house--especially the upstairs. It was a tough decision on who was going to get what bedroom because everyone wanted to be upstairs but it all worked out. When we got to the house and walked around the side to see the back yard we were all blown away. It was truly beautiful and more than what we expected. We sat on the lower deck along the seawall every evening before sunset and soaked in the beauty of it all. The snorkeling was great although we had to go to the little white beach over to the left in order for my parents to get in and out of the water safely. I understand the kayak at our house is usually at your other house. I strongly feel you should always have the tandem kayak at the house as part of the amenities so we were glad to have it and used it several hours each day. We all loved the upstairs lanai with the dining table. That was our gathering spot and it was great having all of our meals outside yet protected. The house would be more comfortable with sliding screen doors upstairs as we did have a few mosquitoes and had to kill 2 large brown recluse spiders in the kitchen and one bedroom. We liked the geckos so keep them around. The snorkeling was the best I have seen over by the Captain Cook monument and the spinner dolphins were fantastic. Paddling through a pod of about 40 jumping and spinning dolphins made the trip for my 77 year old father. The hot tub was great and the outdoor shower was an added special. Thank you for the stereo and all of the supplies in the kitchen. The wine glasses were put to good use. Our family liked Big Jakes BBQ the best. It was the best pulled pork I ever tasted including North Carolina BBQ. Also, the luau at the King Kamehameha was small and personable with excellent dancers. I would and will recommend the house to others and my parents want to come back again to the same house. So perhaps we will be returning in a few years. Thank you for making my 50th birthday celebration a huge success and when I get the money I will talk to you about buying an interest in the house. Not sure if we had a security deposit that is to be returned. Would you please let me know about that. My cell is 808-381-5387 or email me. From all of the Steinmiller family, we say MAHALO!!
John S., Honolulu, HI, 8.1.08
- My family and I feel like we were ih Hawaii. We happened to go to the Dolphin Quest at the Hilton. We stayed at the pool for the day. If someone stays at the Hilton and says they were in Hawaii, they are sadly mistaken. Thanks for a wonderful Hawaiin experience. The Farinacci Family
Joe F., Sagamore Hills, Ohio, 7.30.08
- The unit was done beautifully and set up great. The only recommendation is to put some wind block on the one side of the lani so it's more comfortable sitting out there. It was very windy every day so it was a little rough to sit out. Other than that, it was great. We enjoyed going south to look at turtles sitting right on the beach. It was the beach just past South Point. The beach at the Marriott was also nice. Snorkeling at Cook's monument was great as well. I did not enjoy the volcano as much becuase there is no lava flowing but the trip out there was fun. Best restaurant was Hoi Bakery on the way to Hilo.
Deborah D., Woodinville, WA, 2.5.08
- What a GREAT place!!!!!! Could not of asked for a better condo. I will certainly recommend to others. We did put down a $500 Security Deposit. Thanks Sally & Tim and Family
Sally W., Sugar Land, Tx, 6.1.07
- Well you still have me down for 403 is what I booked and payed for but when we got there the door was locked and it was 9:30 at night and we were beside ourselves. It all got straighted out after a 1/2 hour and we were told that they put us in 407 instead because the owner of 403 had returned or something like that was the only downfall. But I was told you sent me a email which I did not ever recieve since you still think I was in 403 by your email. We had a great time and the room was great we will be back but I do hope that we get the right room and the door is open this time. Mahalo and I thank you again for a great time. Tracey & Josh Hardy
Tracey H., Spokane, WA, 5.24.07
- Wow, what a superb house. We will be back! Thank you so much for your kind hospitality. John, Ana, Katie, Michelle, Rebecca, Jessica, Annie and Danielle Weinel
John W., Lakeville, Minnesota, 4.9.07
- Location gave us access to the Kohala beaches and we are happy about that. We liked being on the 3rd floor (but above the driveway?) No complaints. See you again.
Lucille S., Oakland, CA, 12.17.06
- Please remove the coconuts. We got hit by small coconuts falling and it created quite a bit of anxiety.
Chris S., Portola Valley, CA, 11.20.06
- We enjoyed being at Hale Naia at Captain Cook's. It was one of the most relaxing vacations we have had in a long time. Probably the only negative comment would be the ants in the kitchen and the sugar cane spiders. Other then that, the location was absolutely beatiful. All six of us say Mahalo and Thank you very much for a great vacation. The Crumleys
Deborah C., Gold Beach, OR, 4.9.06
- The location is superb - if you have a car which we did, and although the Condo is clean is was in need of modernisation really.
Paul S., Maidenhead, Berkshire, 1.11.06
- The house was spectacular, the setting incrediable! The house was well appointed and comfortable, we had a great time and would love to return again. Thank you so much for you help and hospitality.
Suzie B., Los Angeles, Ca, 12.29.04
- I have been to Aina malia three or four times with friends or family. We prize the seclusion and the beauty of the setting. The house is nice. Two of the bedrooms are very airy and light, one is somewhat dark with essentially no outside windows. The tower bedrom is nice but the noise of the wind in the palms can be a bit much when sleeping.
Chris S., Portola Valley, CA, 12.24.04