- haena vacation reviews
- Ka Hale Kaiola was as shown in the pictures- beautiful, clean and with incredible views and beach access. Unfortunately the noise fr the YMCA is a deal breaker. While the sounds of children playing is okay, the sound system/loud speaker is over the top. The man running the camp for the 3 day weekend talked constantly over the intercom. The Sat and Sunday night music and screaming was unbelievable. My agent said he'd never had anyone complain- hard to believe.
Hans K., Boulder, CO, 2.21.16
- I have rented homes all over the world and there are not enough words to describe why this was the BEST! Customer service, cleanliness, comfort, etc!! JD was amazing as well as the greeters at the house. The wifi could use a boost and better lighting in bathrooms but I am really stretching to make suggestions!!
Rosemary B., Gainsville, GA, 6.21.15
- We had an amazing time at Kaulana Naue. The view and home is breathtaking. We had plenty of room and loved the time we could spend together as a family. There were a couple of minor problems with bathrooms. The temperature in the shower of one was only scalding hot and wouldn't adjust and in the other the drain was slow. Another bathroom had ants. However, the beds were comfortable, we had plenty of beach towels and beach toys. The North shore was beautiful and we did a couple of hikes as well as play on the beach just outside the back door. We would come again and recommend this wonderful home to anyone thinking of going to Kauai. Thank you for the experience.
Missy P., Cottonwood Heights, UT, 2.23.15
- Kaulana Naue is an outstanding house on an extraordinarily beautiful beach. The house is spacious and modern, with four full bedrooms plus a guest area with a fifth bedroom. The views from the front deck and beach are spectacular. On some days the surf can be too rough to swim in, but we swam most days (staying near the shore) and there is actually a lot of coral and marine life just 20 feet off the beach. We stayed there in January, when--frankly--most of the famous "snorkeling" beaches (e.g., nearby Tunnels) were too rough and stirred up to swim at or snorkel at, and we found the beach right in front of the house the best and most rewarding choice. Obviously this will change by season. Keep in mind it is a 15 minute drive from the town of Hanalei. Overall, a fabulous property.
Andrew S., New York, NY, 1.17.15
- The Makana Akua home is beautiful. The only negative that I have is the fact that there are a few things that could use some repair. For example, the sliding glass doors don't slide very well in the Master Bedroom. Some of the cabinets in the kitchen could use some pairing/touch-up and the things in general could use a bit of refreshing. The customer service and quick attention to the one problem we had (a bit of leakage from the freezer) was great and we would definitely book again with you guys
Mark R., Sandy, UT, 5.5.14
- the stay was wonderful. Quality, service, cleanliness and yes to recommending. Best part was the location and absolute quiet and rest. Being so far out we would have wanted the the fins and equipment to be in better shape. Fins unusable. Long drive to town to rent what was listed as provided. Beach chair with broken strap....Not much to complain about overall....
Sharron S., Newport Beach CA, CA, 11.14.13
- This is a beautiful property with [literally] a postcard view from the beach right out back. The house is wonderfully furnished with all the kitchen utensils you could need for a stay. (Well maybe not a turkey platter or fish knives for six, but champagne glasses with which to toast sunrise over Bali Hai!) The grounds and houses were very clean and the property manager, was helpful and very easy to work with. I would return in a heartbeat. You're essentially at the end of the road at the end of the state at the end of the country, so cell phone and internet can be a bit spotty. If you live online 24/7 be prepared (though you probably shouldn't go to Haena in the first place).
Steve S., Chicago, IL, 8.14.13
- The house location and amentities were perfect -- it's a comfortable home, with a well-stocked kitchen, and storage area with swim and sports equipment. We appreciated being met by the property manager, Ginny, who was very nice and provided lovely local snacks to welcome us. The negatives: the left from burner on the stove wasn't working and the valve on the toilet between the two guest rooms leaked, causing the toilet to run every 10 mins.
Stefanie P., Orinda, CA, 2.19.13
- We loved Hale Naue and found all of the amenities excellent. The location right on the beach could not be better and loved to hear the roar of the ocean every night. The home was very spacious and very nicely furnished. The whole experience was great, from the booking agent to the house manager. Unfortunately we were not blessed with sunny and rainless days throughout most of our stay, so we spent most of our days on the south end of the island. Can't do much about that! It was still beautiful and a great way to spend a relaxing holiday together. Mahalo! The Lumbards
Kelly L., Brandon, MB, 1.16.13
- The rental couldn't have been more perfect for our family of 10, including 3 granddaughters ages 1, 2-1/2 and 6. We would rent it again in a heart beat.
Aleta L., Indianola, WA, 1.1.13
- We have stayed in vacation rentals around the work and I'm glad to say this was one of the best. Its clear the home is a labor of love. From the thoroughness in which the house has been set up and appointed to the beach toys available for the kids, the finer touches are all here. I could go on and on about the house but the beach is where the magic is. We spent nearly all of our time on the deck (truly a slice of heaven) and the beach in search of the perfect shell. Haena is quite possibly the most picturesque place on the planet and this home is the perfect place to enjoy it from. Thanks for having us - I hope we can come back soon.
Jeff B., 12.11.12
- Absolutely fabulous...hope we can come back! Thanks to Ginny and Laurel....I have told all our friends how great it was.....Mahalo to all! Katie Radler
Kathleen R., Alamo, CA, 12.1.12
- Fantastic! Was the best part of the trip. The back lanai looking over the ocean was fantastic. If the owners ever want to sell. Put me on line! Great place and we plan on making a trip there a family tradition
Shannon W., Murphy, TX, 9.29.12
- Kahlana Naue is a beautiful house in a magically beautiful location. The house has an incredibly well equipped, top of the line, kitchen, and elegant, but welcoming, furnishings, with a Hawaiian style. The view is stunning, and the house layout permits both community and privacy for a large family gathering. Each morning I walked to Ke 'ee Beach and back (4 miles roundtrip) along the road which was an easy walk, and I felt as though I was walking through a rain forest. Younger members of our group hiked along the beach to Ke 'ee. The best place we ate was the Hanelai Dolphin Restaurant. The restaurant specializes in local fish and produce, deliciously prepared. The fish market connected with the restaurant has fresh, local fish - a real treat. We came to relax with our family, have some adventure, and we look forward to returning. Also, the customer service was excellent. Do note that the weather during the winter months can be variable - not always sunny and hot all day, but it was a delight to be at this house, and the few days of rainly weather were not a barrier to enjoyment. Never needed more than a light sweater, and the sun always came out eventually on days that were not sunny all day. Overall, we had a fantastic time at the house and are eager to return.
Ruth G., Brookline, MA, MA, 2.12.12
- The house was wonderful for a large group. Spacious rooms, well natural breeze ventilation with the overhead fans. Exceptional well furnished and cooking serving amenities were abundant. The location to the beach, the 180 degree view, the deck, hot tub, beach chairs, was great! It was the best vacation rental I have had. My only advise would be to use bug spray. Several of us had numerous small itchy bites that we really did not see any bugs, but must have been around and it was too late to use the spray. Other than this it was an exceptional stay and extremely well furnished. Lyle
Lyle J., Post Falls, Idaho, 11.27.11
- This rental was fantastic for our group of 5! My parents (in their 60s) really enjoyed relaxing on the beautiful lanai and walking the beach in front of the house. Also, the snorkeling in front of the house was superb when the wind was down. On windier days we would take a short walk around the point where the outer reef keeps the water quite calm. Their were dozens of turtles to swim with every afternoon, definitely a highlight of the trip. My boyfriend and brother and I (in our 20s) really enjoyed the hiking that the Haena area has to offer. If you go DEFINITELY do the 2 mile Kalalua Trail to Hanakapai Beach. It is a little strenuous but worth every bit of effort. If your not a huge hiker even the first 1/2 mile of the hike offers OUTSTANDING views of the Na Pali coast.. definitely not to be missed!!! We planned to hike the 4 miles to Hanakapai Falls (I hear its great) but ran out of energy and time! We definitely will be back to conquer that! Other activities we enjoyed were a helicopter ride as well as a catamaran sail along the Na Pali Cost... both BEAUTIFUL ways to see the breathtaking north shore of Kauai. As far as restaurants and groceries we enjoyed going to the Dolphin Fish Market in Hanalei and cooking fresh caught fish on the grill at the house. Other places we really enjoyed were Bubba's Burgers and TikiMan Pizza in Hanalei. Tahiti Nui (next to TIkiMan) was a great bar to relax, listen to local hawaiian bands in the evening and enjoy their 50 year old mai tai recipe!!! Everyone in Hanalei was really friendly. We found a number of our groceries at the Big Save in Hanalei but recommend Foodland in Princeville for more variety (and only 5 minute additional drive). Oh and dont miss grabbing a smoothie at the Aloha Juice Bar stand (located next to the Big Save in Hanalei)!!! The Hanalei passion was our favorite of all the smoothies (yes we had one each day, it became an addiction!) I would recommend this house to anyone, regardless of age or ability due to the high number of activities offered. Some days we just enjoyed nothing more than napping on the lanai and beach. The sunsets every afternoon were outstanding. You could walk out to the point on the right and see all of Bali Hai and the accompanying mountains. Such a beautiful way to end each day! The house and neighborhood were so quiet that we all slept great each night. The option of having AC helped as well as we did have a few hot nights and many rentals in this area do not offer AC. We were a bit worried about the Y Camp located next door but this was not an issue. It was occupied part of our stay but we could not hear any of the noise next door. There is also a beach access between the Y Camp and the house but that did not bother us either. Since the house is up on stilts it drowns out a lot of the noise and with very few beach access parking there was never more than a few cars parking and using the beach access. The entire booking process of the house was great!!! Vacational Rental Agent answered all of our questions when trying to find our perfect house. Once we arrived on the island we were greeted by Ginny, the house caretaker. She was really helpful in giving us restaurant ideas, grocery shopping, etc! I cannot recommend this rental enough, we will definitely be back! We stayed for 10 days and it flew by. If you can definitely try to stay at least 10 days to really soak in the area. Kauai offers SO many activities that its fun to do a few things and have days to do nothing. This was my third trip to Kauai and definitely the most enjoyable! I know this is a long review but I know when deciding to invest in a trip like this, more information is better than less. Thank you Vacation Rental Agent, Ginny and the owners of the Makua Kai homes for such a fun trip that we will remember for years to come! Natalie Dallas, TX
Natalie P., Garland, TX, 9.21.11
- 5 Stars for this wonderful home! This place is built and decorated as if the owners really use it. Rare is it that a home looks much better than the photos but this one does. Ultra clean, very elegant attention to the smallest details and we noticed and appreciated it all. We had a group of 14 and it was spacious enough for our nightly family gatherings. We cooked, played games and danced the nights away. If you do only one thing, be sure you hike the Na Pali Coast Trail, at least to the beach. You have never seen anything like this on earth! If you're in good shape, continue on to the waterfalls but it is definately harder than the first part. Back at the house you will actually find wonderful snorkling right outside the house and there is a sea turtle who lives near the rock in front of the house. He was adorable and we saw him every day. Also walked to tunnels almost every day for the best snorkling I have seen since Cozumel...but better I think.
Kristine E., Woodland Hills, CA, 8.24.11
- Location, facilities and ammenities were excellent. Definitely will return. A kid freindly area.
Harold K., Chadds Ford, Pa, 5.23.11
- We loved the house. It was perfect for our needs. Loved that each bedroom had its own bath. The 'fully equipped' went above and beyond, which was wonderful. The view out over the ocean was to die for. On Thurs, we saw the most beautiful rainbow! We planned 'cook-teams' who shopped for/cooked/cleaned up for each evening meal. Made eating dinner a bit more affordable. We really enjoyed a hike from the park into the Napali coast. We only went as far as the secluded beach. But our daughter and friend went on the to waterfall. Totally wonderful. Kauai has been a favorite vacation spot for many years. This was our 4th trip. We would seek to plan our next trip around this house if the number of beds/rooms was right. Customer service was wonderful. REALLY appreciated the coffee and bagels for the first morning. Thank you again for a wonderful vacation. Stephanie Judkins and family.
Stephanie J., Milford, OH, 4.3.10
- we had a wonderful time. the house is absolutely fabulous. hope to come back in the future... magda
Magda F., Cayucos, California, 10.19.09
- We had a wonderful stay at Kaulana Naue. The house was impecable and perfect for us. Haena was great and the location of the house could not be any better. I want to commend the flexibility and assistance of both Leila and Leticia. We look forward to going back next year and continue to explore the Paradise Island.
Alejandro P., Bellaire, Texas, 7.1.09
- Jungle/Beach setting in a upscale home Customer service was first rate. Activiites such as ocean, jungle (Zip Line) Best restaurant we found was the Barracuda in Hanelai Advise any who stay at this locale do so for 10 days or more to really get into the ambiance of the area. The great thing about the Island is its size where we could go to a Lua at the Hyatt in the south and be back in Hanelai on the North West coast in an hour and a half.
Mark S., Kamloops, British Columbia, 1.3.09
- The setting, view, and weather are absolutely magnificent, one of the great vacation spots anywhere! Unit is excellent -- comfortable/luxurious and convenient, for a family group of grandparents 65+, parents 40-ish, and child 5. The sister unit next door is close, but we got along well with the family there, so that was no problem. The Y camp on the other side was occupied for part of the stay, but this was no problem for noise or other disturbance. The best thing was that the surf directly in front of the house was good for swimming and snorkeling almost every day we were there. The factors affecting this are the amount of afternoon wind, which was relatively low while we were there, and the threat of a riptide -- we did not find a rip in the area directly in front and to the right, and many people including children used the water there while we were there. Tunnels, around the corner to the left, is always good, wind-sheltered and safe, with outstanding snorkeling -- deservedly a world-famous beach. The downside is that the deep coarse sand on our beach makes it a longer walk than it looks to Tunnels, so it is nice when the beach in front is swimmable. Note, we saw a sea-turtle near the rock directly in front of the house. The kiteboarders put on a great show every afternoon. As far as eats go, for takeout and casual, we loved Tropical Taco (fish tacos) and the shave-ice trailer in Hanalei, and Kilauea fish market for the great ahi wraps. For high end dinner, Bar Acuda is superb, a really first class restaurant. PS -- It is very annoying, Hawaiian Beach Rental, that you block right-click copying -- I had to use PrintScreen to make a copy of my own comments!
Tom G., Stanford, CA, 6.30.08
- The home is lovely and the setting is amazing. If it's a windy day on the beach, just walk around the point to the left where it's sheltered from the wind and the water is calmer.
Arlene H., Olympia, Washington, 4.13.08
- My advice to someone else staying at this unit would be to stay at least ten days. What my whole family liked best about the unit we rented was the back porch/view.
Mark and Patricia S., Charlotte Harbor, FL, 7.2.07