- poipu vacation reviews
1 - 100 of 134
Poipu vacation reviews
- House was great. Issue with pool from rainstorm was addressed quickly and the view from house deck was fantastic.
Edward P., Sherwood Park, AB, 1.4.20
- The Stone House is absolutely amazing!!! This was our 2nd vacation to this home and there's not one thing to not love here! First of all, the location cannot be beat...sitting out on the lanai and watching turtles and dolphins never gets old. The house is spotless and has everything you could possibly need...beach chairs/toys, beach towels, everything you'd keep in your kitchen at home(besides food of course), several days worth of shower toiletries, even fresh flowers on your arrival! We loved being able to walk down to baby beach since it's practically right out the door. We have small children so this beach was perfect! We didn't need any assistance from the homeowners while we were there but there's no doubt that if we did, someone would have been there in a heartbeat. There's honestly nothing left out in this rental. Our family has fallen in love with Kauai and the Stone House and can't wait to visit again! Thank you!!!
Talia G., Spearfish, SD, 11.1.19
- Wonderful experience. Beautiful home with bright gorgeous vistas. Snorkeling right off the deck.. great location. Can't wait to stay again!
James K., Bakersfield, CA, 6.9.19
- The reason that this did not receive a five star rating was not due to the house, as it was a beautiful house that needs a severe cleaning and maintenance (replacing burned out light bulbs, and cleaning the light fixtures) with a fantastic location! It was the customer service starting with the fact that we were sent the wrong check-in information, we were sent the information for a condo that we rented two years ago and we received this information the day that we flew out. The subject information in the email was correct, but the address was incorrect and probably our fault that we didn't totally read the email, just printed it and out the door we went. Thankfully we decided around 1:30 PM Kauai time to do a drive by the address that was sent to us before we could check-in, that was when we discovered everything was screwed up. We got a hold of the person that sent us the wrong information and requested that she please give us the correct information and that we were having problems with receiving our emails and we had requested several time to PLEASE phone us DO NOT email. She finally did give us the correct address, but no code for the lock box. She said that she had to pull up that information and would return our phone call shortly. We had lunch and didn't hear back from her and this was 3:00 PM. We tried several times to phone her directly and discovered that we were phoning a Memphis, TN number, no wonder she didn't answer, she had gone home for the day! We phone the main number again and talked to someone else and thankfully she was very helpful and got in touch with the manager and told him of our situation. I had asked her to have him phone us and give us the code, please DO NOT send an email. Finally by 5:00 PM he phoned and gave us an apology and a lock box code number. We would love to book this rental again and it has been the best place that we have stayed in on Kauai for the location to the beach, shopping centers and dining.
Mari M., 12.6.18
- It was great we loved it! The rental was clean, the sounds of the waves was amazing and snorkeling beach 2 minute walk! We would definitely stay again and recommend it.
Lauren L., 10.22.18
- 113 Whalers Cove is a modest, bottom floor unit in the middle of the second building. The unit was clean and stocked as advertised when we arrived. The furnishings are varied with some being relatively current and others being dated. The kitchen was average - nothing fancy - but functional. We had a couple of hiccups during our stay and the maintenance company was very polite and sympathetic but not very effective. (Most notably, the TV in the master bedroom worked intermittently. The maintenance gentleman visited to repair it (and other items) twice during our visit but it continued to malfunction. The day before we left they finally chose to replace it. They should have done that after the first repair didn't work rather than waiting until the end of our rental time.) The biggest problem I have with unit 113 is the lack of air conditioning & location. The back part is on the ground floor and opens onto the beautiful lawn but the front (facing the parking lot) is mostly underground and only has small windows. There was little breeze that low and the unit was stifling in the middle of the day. The management company representative "strongly recommended" that we not sleep with any doors ajar to allow for a breeze at night due to safety concerns. On the third night we decided to throw caution to the wind and slept with the lanai doors open and screen door closed, pulling chairs in front to block any intruders from walking into the unit. We survived the night and that helped a bit as there was a small breeze all night. I would not rent this unit again for this reason alone. I would consider an upstairs Whalers Cove unit (with a better breeze and doors that could safely be left open) or another property with A/C. The owner of the unit really should consider installing A/C at least in the bedrooms given the lack of ventilation. The Whalers Cover property is super-nice. The grounds are well manicured with gorgeous flowers, the pool is very nice and the view of the ocean spectacular! (note - despite what anyone tells you there is NO beach access from the property; you can walk back thru another neighborhood to get to the nearest beach but there's no way it's a "5 minute walk" as I was told. It's better to drive to a nice beach.)
Keith R., Fayetteville, GA, 6.2.18
- Second time renting this and we love it and will return. My concern this trip was that we didn't get until after 3:30, the exhaust fan in the one bedroom didn't work we would love to see corrected. We will definitely be back to stay again. It is an alsolutly beautiful house and beautiful house.
Mindy B., Valencia, CA, 5.25.18
- very happy with our accommodations, great condo, great view, great weather, excellent location
Philip F., Destin, FL, 5.20.18
Katherine B., 5.7.18
- The overall quality of the "Hale Ohana - 5BR Home Poipu." This is a beautiful home in a very unique and special location. The level of customer service you received from your booking agent. Good customer service. The condition and cleanliness of the rental. House was very clean when we arrived. Your overall satisfaction with your rental. We were very satisfied with the rental. What would make this an outstanding rental is better kitchen equipment. The knives are terrible, there aren't any real skillets, and no baking sheets. Cooking at the house wasn't enjoyable because of the quality of the equipment. Would you book the rental again and or recommend the rental to a friend? Yes and yes. What was the best part of your trip? As far as the house is concerned, the location is truly special. Anything else you would like to share with others. I recommend providing bins to help with recycling. It would be easier to recycle if there were bins for glass, metal, paper, etc (and of course, renter still brings to recycling center).
Karla R., San Francisco, CA, 4.18.18
- Magnificent Home - we stayed in the Hale Ma'ana Hou for 12 days. The oceanfront view of this home is spectacular. This is an older home but has been very well maintained. We would definitely book this rental home again and recommend it to our family and friends.
Kari D., Coolin, ID, 4.9.18
- The main house is exceptional - fantastic waterfront with very nicely appointed furniture, deck, kitchen and bedrooms. My mother advised me that the 2 bed bedroom had a little trouble getting a hot shower. The detached villa house is dated and in need of a renovation - flooring, and washroom. Otherwise it is very nice. Thanks for your rental and Hawaiian hospitality. Dean Slater
Dean S., Calgary, AB, 3.22.18
- We really liked the hale Moana. There was only two of us so it was perfect size. It was clean. We would rent it again.
Terry L., Riverton, UT, 1.22.18
- We were happy in our stay at Makai A3. It was very clean and had everything we would need for our stay. The only things that need work on is the front door, freezer handle and the dryer. The front door wouldn't close or lock. The first night we were at the condo we had to prop a chair behind the front door so it wouldn't open up (it wouldn't lock either). Also, the handle for the freezer kept coming off. Both items we told the property manager about. He came out the 2nd day we were there to check on the door and he thought he'd fixed it but the last night we were there, we had trouble keeping the door closed. Also, the dryer wouldn't dry out clothes. We kept turning it on to dry the towels. We finally hung our towels outside on the deck to dry.
Debora R., 9.20.17
- Our family loved our time at Hale Nalu. It was perfect for our needs and matched what we saw on-line. The location is beautiful - we loved the sound of the waves and the trade winds blowing through the house. The proximity to Baby Beach was perfect - and it provided recreation for our nine-month old grandson as well as our adult children. The rental was spotless when we arrived. The kitchen was adequately equipped. We really appreciated the 4 beach chairs and other beach equipment. The location was great for getting to other activities on the island. We would love to stay another time. All of our kids have talked about missing the sound of the waves and the early mornings on the lanai.
Tim K., Cary, NC, 7.25.17
- We had a very pleasant stay at the Regency and would gladly stay there again on a return visit. The accommodations were very comfortable and the location was very convenient. The children loved the pool. The setting was beautiful. Thanks
Mary E., Shelton, WA, 10.15.16
- Our stay was basically perfect. Hokulani is very well equipped, particularly the kitchen. The location is quite private and the views are really great. The check in and check out procedures are clear and overall the property is very easy to recommend!
Chris M., 10.14.16
- The view is incredible I rate that a 5+, When we arrived my instructions said the house would be open it was not and I couldn't get the property mgr to call me back and He DID NOT call me back or show up to help we broke in the house and called the reservation office and let them know what was going on and they tried to call the property mgr also with no results But the rest of the house is dated, smells of mildew , The towels smelt of mildew so bad we could barely stand to use them We bought some bleach and wiped the counters down and bleached the sink drains because they smelt awful. The house has ants we lost some food because of the ants. And roaches oh my they were everywhere running around on the ceiling at night.My kids where freaking out affraid they were going to get on them while they slept And the washer was leaking , the screen doors were torn and some of them did not close correctly. The house needs major maintenance and I would suggest white towels so they can be bleached. There is NOOO A/C and the fans are weak and slow. I did not complain about this to anyone but the house keeper at the end of my stay because I did not want to have to smell bug spray. Again the view and location are awesome I would not book this home again, for the price we paid it should not have had all these issues.
Mark A J., Millington, TN, 7.25.16
- The Hale Lani home is exceptional; beautiful, spacious, and has absolutely everything you would need for a fabulous vacation. There were a few nuts and bolts issues that were relayed to the property management people - nothing earth-shattering. The one really negative issue was heavy construction (bolder cracking and rock crushing just on the other side of the fairway from us; from 0730 to 1730 Mon. thru Thurs. (and once on Friday). To me, that is critical information that should be shared with the Renter in advance. With our Marriott Timeshare, information like that flashes on the screen prior to making a reservation. Also, the gentleman who mowed the greens on the golf course did so at 0445 each morning.....normally not an issue, but in Poipu you leave the windows open at night so the Trades give natural air conditioning. I would definitely recommend this house to a friend, but not until all the condo's on the other side of the fairway are completed.
Vic F., Benicia, CA, 7.3.16
- This home is amazing. There is nothing that could have made our stay any better. The views are magnificent. The pool is fabulous. It had everything and more, I will definitely be back.
Stacey R., Keizer, OR, 6.28.16
- When we entered we were met by the most stunning view out onto the garden and ocean. Every morning would wake up, see it again and again be gob smacked. The property was excellent. Only shortcoming was the lack of a third bathroom (although there is a third powder room/toilet). We spent many enjoyable hours in the large family/living room - stunning views. Kitchen was large, seating for eight, and well equiped. The pool and rear garden were where family spent most time. Small problem of empty BBQ gas bottle was quickly solved by Frank (thanks Mate!). Pool, garden and surrounds were unobtrusively maintained during our ten day stay. Easy walking to numerous great restaurants, shops and 'touristy' locations. I would NOT recommend it, because I don't everybody booking the times I want to come back !! My Thanks to Darla Hood for the fantastic assistance getting the booking arranged.
David H., Sandringham, VIC, 3.28.16
- This was one of the best vacations our family has ever been on!!!! The house was perfect and I would not change anything. It was everything that we expected and more. There was a problem with the barbeque but someone was sent out right away and the problem was resolved. That was the only thing in the week that we were there that was not perfect. I would recommend this home to anyone and hopefully there will be a time when we can go back and stay again.
Judith P., Cypress, CA, 3.27.16
- This was a lovely, spacious, well-equipped house, with a private pool, nice garden, double garage, in a pleasant neighbourhood, handily located for Beaches, shops, restaurants and services. It could have been perfect, but the house next door but one was having roof replacement and excavation for a pool. This resulted in non-stop very disturbing noise throughout weekdays. The sound of jackhammers, nail guns and other power tools could not be escaped, even indoors. Not a pleasant vacation experience, especially with a two-year-old needing afternoon naps. I would not expect the house to be rented out in these circumstances, but perhaps the owners were unaware. Of much less importance, but a little disappointing, were finding on arrival that the drier still had linen in it, the dishwasher contained glasses with dried-on orange juice and plates with dried-on spinach (we could only guess what these were, but we had to re-wash most by hand in any event). The waste-basket in the master-bedroom toilet had not been emptied, and contained used tissues, etc. One of the sink taps could turn but not turn on water, and in the bathroom by the garage, part of the toilet seat was broken. Loose pebbles around the pool were a hazard for bare feet. These minor problems should be easily fixed, to provide a 5-star experience. Although Garden Island Rentals advertised availability at particular hours on weekends, they were not in the Koloa Office at 1030 Saturday, nor answering their telephone or returning calls on Saturday or Sunday. Perhaps the long weekend for Martin Luther King day affected this availability - we left on the Monday. The booking agent service was excellent, except for not knowing about the building site.
Brian H., Bowral, NSW, 1.19.16
- Beautiful house. Excellent location. Perfect place for a family to stay. I highly recommend.
Amy W., Toronto, ON, 1.4.16
- Can't recommend this place high enough. It was incredible. Feels like you're on a private beach. Views are amazing from every room and the staff was outstanding. Will definitely stay here again!
Kristin D., Richland, WA, 10.30.15
- We were satisfied with the service we received booking this condo. The property is in an exceptional location - right on the ocean, magnificent views at sunset, walking distance to great shops and places to eat, parking was easy, and the pool was nice (basic) and not very crowded. The condo has massive rooms and a terrific layout, which worked really well for our family of 4. Unfortunately it is quite "tired" and needs some money spent on it, eg. furniture had holes in the wicker, some of the settings on the oven didn't work, the laundry door kept falling off, the drawers and wardrobe doors in the second bedroom were very difficult to open, there was inadequate storage for clothes in the master WIR, etc. Our main concern was the sliding fly screens that lead to the patio - they kept falling off their runners, they didn't close properly and the wire had holes in it. This resulted in mosquitos filling the condo at dusk, or keeping the glass doors closed and expiring (there is no air conditioning). When we left a message for the local agent about the problems, they did not return our call. After emailing them, they sent a maintenance man on the second last day of our stay and as far as I can tell, he did not repair anything! This was frustrating and disappointing, and affected our overall satisfaction with the condo. The condo was very clean. I would stay at Whalers Cove agin, but not in this condo (unless it receives an upgrade). We absolutely loved Kauai - highlights were trekking in the canyon, taking a boat trip along the Na Pali coast, and snorkelling at so many of the beaches. We highly recommend this beautiful island!
Jodie L., Hawthorn, VIC, 10.5.15
- The place was very clean. The best views of the coast imaginable. It was extreamly hot and there was no relief until we left in our rental car. We had locked ourselves out of the room with all cell phones and rental emergency contact info locked inside, as we only literally stepped outside. BIG MISTAKE!! Not only did we not have any phone numbers to call but had to inconvenience our neighbors for well over an hour as they helped us research who we needed to contact. And when we finally made contact. Nobody could be reached so don't bother contacting the emergency number listed as they apparently only work mon thru fri 9-5. And A locksmith is impossible to find.
Billy N., Cobb, CA, 8.3.15
- Overall exceptional house and location. Beautifully furnished and fully fitted with appropriate dishes, utensils and glassware. Clean and well looked after. Only issue was Internet . It was offline more than on. Had to unplug and restart router / modem multiple times daily. Needs to be looked at.
David S., Mosman, NSW, 7.31.15
- This was an amazing home! The view is spectacular and my family did not want to leave! We hope to be able to return someday soon! I would highly recommend this!
Lisa K., Fresno, CA, 7.10.15
- Hale Moana was BEAUTIFUL! You can't beat the view. Our booking agent Jamie was very helpful in setting up our stay. The 2 bedroom 2 bath was perfect for our family and the home has plenty of room not to mention the beautiful lanai. We would love to visit again and would definitely recommend this place. Mahalo!
Jean K., Fresno, CA, 7.9.15
- The Hawailian Hiibiscus Home is terrific. The house is clean and beautiful. I love this house and so did my children and granddaughters. The service from the booking agent was great. I would recommend this rental to both family and friends. I loved everthing about this trip. The people are friendly- Captain Andy's dinner cruise was great, the, the Helicopter ride was beautiful, we enjoyed everything we did and we all hope to go again someday.
Linda S., Riverton, WY, 6.9.15
- The Hawaiian Hibiscus home is well maintained and is ideally located within the Kiahuna Golf Village, a subdivision of quality homes in Poipu. The layout is perfect for a multi generational family such as ours, but would work just as well for two families. The booking was convenient and all terms and options were clear. We were kept up to date with our booking right up to departure. The house is in good condition for it's age and use, and the grounds are nicely mature giving it a nice family home feel that we liked. Our family particularly enjoyed the pool and deck and spent most of the time outdoors. We would love to visit again.
James A., Victoria, BC, 5.10.15
- We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Hale Lani Poipu! Our party was comprised of two families with a total of 8 people. There was plenty of space for our group. The home is very high quality, beautiful & clean. It was especially nice to have the four bathrooms to accommodate us all. The kitchen is both beautiful & functional with high quality appliances. Was nice to be able to prepare some meals at the house. We were also glad to have a washer & dryer on site. Much nicer to come home and not have all the laundry to catch up on after vacation! The only negative to our stay there was the early mowing of the golf greens right next door at 4:30-5:30 AM each day. Don't plan on sleeping in or at least make sure the windows are closed if you are a light sleeper. We would definitely book this rental again and recommend it to friends.
Bryan S., Kelso, WA, 4.16.15
- The unit at Regency 924 was terrific! It had everything my film needed to make vacationing easy with the comforts of home. The home was clean with the exception of the floors and dust on the ceiling fans. No biggie just wanted to bring to your attention. We always try to leave places we stay as good or better than we left it. We cleaned thoroughly before we left.
Cheri M., Draper, UT, 4.12.15
- The Honulani is still a great value for the money. We have book the house every year since 2009. This is the first year we found the house was not really ready for rental. The were lights out, the toilet in the main bath, at times would continue to run, the light switch in the mater bath would not always work (vanity). There was a missing blind in one of the rooms with no way of providing privacy. Of a lesser note... the out door furniture around the deck was showing signs of age. These are issues we noticed this year but we still think this is an awesome home in a great location. Oh... we think working through Garden Island Rentals is the pits and really appreciate working with Vacation Rental Agency. Thanks for another wonderful vacation. There were lots of whales.. turtles... dolphins... snorkeling and of course sun.
Donald L., Vancouver, WA, 3.22.15
- What an exquisite five weeks we just had at Hale Nalu! The home is even more lovely than the pictures show and, despite the close proximity of neighboring houses, one has a sense of privacy at Hale Nalu, due to the perfect placement of the house on the lot, the lovely landscaping, and the constant, relaxing, sound of the surf. Our rental was managed smoothly and well, the house itself was beautifully clean and easily maintainable, while being well-equipped for a relaxing vacation home. The layout of the home itself is very pleasing and spacious, with plenty of room for six of us to mingle together or to seek a quiet corner to read a bit. And, of course, having Baby Beach right next door was perfect. We found the kitchen to be satisfactorily equipped, and all the appliances were up to date, well chosen, and quiet. At first, the washer and dryer in the kitchen seemed a bit odd, but it didn't take us long to appreciate it. We saw monk seals and sea turtles on Baby Beach, and dolphins and lots and lots of whales right from the deck, and enjoyed nearly perfect weather the entire time. There were lovely rainbows sometimes, and clear skies made for incredible starry nights. On the rare occasions when the wind picked up, we were grateful for the hoses at the house to rinse the salt spray off the windows (the surf is THAT close!). Snorkeling is not bad right off the beach there, or down at the nearby Poipu public beach. And, the Kukui'ula shopping center is a short walk for those who want lunch out, or ice cream, or just a little shopping, and Old Town Koloa is just a five minute drive away, and had enough shopping to take care of most of our grocery needs. It's hard to imagine a more perfect retreat for family and friends to relax together and enjoy beautiful Kauai. I would recommend Hale Nalu to anyone, and I hope my family and I can visit it again someday.
Robin R., Arlington, VA, 2.22.15
- Good things: view, pool and location are great Bad things: has insect and critter problem and house interior and appliances are dated. The worry about the insects (cockroaches included) made us leave early despite already paying fully upfront. Would not book again for that reason
Ken F., 1.25.15
- We truly enjoyed every moment of our stay at Hale Andalusia in Kauai! Breath taking views and comfortable rooms. Even with two hurricanes barreling down on us, we still had an awesome time. The only thing keeping us from giving it a perfect 5, is the timer on the only AC in the house, and the living room furniture was not the most comfortable. But that hammock is heaven!
Catie M., Fairfax, VA, 8.25.14
- The house was very clean and spacious and looked as I expected it to from the photos. The kitchen and bathroom need updating, but we know this from the photos already. The house had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. There were plenty of bath towels and beach towels which was great for a family with children. The kitchen was well stocked with plates and utensils as well as lots of condiments. The sea view was amazing - we spent a long time watching the turtles, surfers and local fishermen from the garden. The pool and garden were very well maintained. There were a few small niggles but nothing to bother the agent with whilst we were there, but worth mentioning so it can be fixed for another visitor. The insect mesh was coming away from the frame on the front door which meant if the door was fully open insects could come in. It would have been nice if the ocean lights in the garden worked. There were very big cobwebs and spiders on the decking outside the master bedroom and on the porch outside the house, it looked like they had been there some time. The customer service was great, we were able to get hold of the local contact when we needed to, directions and information prior to our stay was timely. Overall, we were very pleased and had a lovely week in Honulani.
Anita E., Ashtead, 8.20.14
- We rented 425 and 114 for an anniversary trip with our family. Everything was wonderful. Easy booking and check in, very clean and comfortable lodgings for all of us (10). We would definitely rent here again. We especially loved 114 -- great views of Shipwreck Beach, close to the pool and BBQs and a huge grassy area in front. Both were well equipped and more than met our needs.
Donna W., 8.13.14
- Honulani was the perfect place for our vacation! The home was very clean and well organized, and the location oceanside could not have been more beautiful. Honulani provided plenty of towels, kitchen equipment and ammenities and the service from Hawaiian Beach Rentals was friendly, precise and timely. Everything was in good working order and a special Mahalo to Frank for keeping the pool sparkling clean without being intrusive. Looking forward to returning. Great proximity to restaurants, shopping, beaches and attractions, our every expectation of this rental property was met or surpassed.
Victoria C., Santa Rosa, CA, 8.8.14
- Our family of 9 had a memorable time at Hale Ohana celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. The house was beautiful, very clean, very comfortably appointed and had a very well-equipped kitchen--a must for our family with two chefs. The only item missing from the kitchen was a spatula. The staff at the booking agency answered all my questions promptly prior to our arrival and also arranged for a case of wine, sent from the mainland, to be held at the local office for our arrival. We only have a few, minor negatives. There should be at least one beach umbrella in the garage for the guests to use. No one wants to invest in an umbrella for a short stay and the same with beach chairs. The shower curtain in the master bath was on a spring tension rod and constantly fell down so we finally gave up and just removed it. We live in California where humidity is often in the single digits so there were many days when the late afternoon and early evening humidity was really uncomfortable. We longed for air conditioning on those days particularly when there were no breezes to compensate. The lanai was probably the best part of the house and we ate every meal out here to the sound of waves and watching the Kauai Bulbuls and other birds drop by for a handout. Overall, our family agreed that we would want to return to this beautiful property.
Barbara P., PASADENA, CA, 7.15.14
- The quality of Kiahuna Paradise, the level of customer service and the condition of the rental was excellent. The home was clean and extremely accommodating. My family and I were very satisfied with everything and are happy with our decision. I would definitely rent this property again and work with HBR. I would certainly recommend this property and rental service to friends and family. We were very comfortable and enjoyed our stay very much. Thank you!
Jonathan R., 7.9.14
- Hale Ohana was spectacular. Grass for little ones to play on and the ocean a few steps away. The lanai was the best for views and meals and soooo Hawaiian. Quiet street and the sound of the surf and the beach was very safe for children. Customer service was excellent. Cleanliness was good. Kitchen cabinets were a bit sticky and oven wasn't clean, but overall, very, very good. We would recommend this rental. The architecture of the home and attention to quality details were impressive. The best part was our time was on the lanai looking at the beautiful view and listening to the ocean. Took our breath away.
John M., Whitefish, MT, 6.30.14
- Hale Nalu Kauai is a beautiful home on the shores of Baby Beach. The home is well appointed and supplied with everything one could hope for in the kitchen. We stayed for a month - and the home is set up for six people - but they only provided 3 beach chairs which was frustrating. We saw additional beach chairs in the locked garage - but when we phoned the local contact they said the items in the garage were for the personal use of the owners only. Our dishwasher wasn't working properly right from the beginning - and this took a couple of days to get it fixed - the local contact seemed reluctant to pay an appliance repair technician - and first sent someone that wasn't knowledgeable - who tried to figure out what was wrong by reading the owner's manual! The home is in excellent condition and we really appreciated the mid stay clean by Tricia. The hedge lining the oceanfront yard is likely there for safety reasons - but it is in poor condition - and totally blocks the view of the ocean when you are sitting on loungers on the grass. We would recommend changing that to fencing of some description that allows for the view. During our month stay (with our ten month old grandson) - we returned to the house in the afternoon to discover white crystals on the grass both in the front and rear yards - we didn't know what it was - so we had to make sure the child wasn't on the grass - it was a real pain to keep him on the deck. We called the local contact and left a message to find out what the stuff was - no one got back to us. In the end we found out from another source that the white crystals were salt - but had the gardeners even left a message - or the local contact - to let us know that the stuff wasn't toxic to children - that would have been helpful. We were also disappointed with the attitude of the local contact generally speaking. We had requested through our rental agent for a late check out - as our flights didn't leave until the evening - according to the local contact - the rental agent didn't forward our e-mails about this to them and there wasn't anything they could do for us - emphasizing that we needed to be out by 10:00 A.M. After paying over 20K for the month - we thought they could be a little more accommodating in this regard. Overall - we were very satisfied with the unit and would likely recommend the home. It is unlikely that we would rent this particular home again given the hedge blocking the view - and we are partial to having a pool - and at this time we aren't keen on booking a unit with the same local contact as we felt they were kind of snippy with us.
Keegan M., Red Deer, AB, 3.19.14
- Honulani is the best value we have been able to find for a vacation in Hawaii. It has all the items we are looking for... quiet.. a pool.. on the beach... and a great price. We appreciate how clean the house is when we arrive. This is our fifth time at the house and we are looking forward to our return visit.
Donald L., Vancouver, WA, 2.23.14
- For an older home we were very satisfied, the porch was the best part of the house. Thanks for a great stay, John
John N., Penfield, NY, 2.5.14
- Great house, we really enjoyed everything! Only (very minor) suggestion for improvement is it would be nice to have a small carpet somewhere in the house - all those beautiful hardwoods made our feet hurt by the end of the week ;->. Guess I can't complain about that haha, beautiful house and well maintained. Nice work.
Mark I., Atlanta, GA, 1.27.14
- The overall quality of the 'Kahala 224' was very good. The reno was tastefully done although wall to wall carpet is very impractical for the climate conditions. There were enough amenities and starter supplies were appreciated. The level of customer service was 'Excellent'. Overall condition and cleanliness was very good. Overall satisfaction with the rental was very good. Yes, we would recommend this rental however, Kalapaki Joe's does present an occasional noise issue. Even though the 'quiet' time is from 10 pm, there are some vacationers that don't realize that. Having a sports bar in close proximity tends to attract the 'sports bar' type. Best part of our trip . . . Kauai!!! Perhaps highlighting the fact that the key lock box to gain initial entry to your unit is located by the office would be helpful!! Thanks for all your help!! Mahalo
Jasmine O., 1.13.14
- Am amazing week! We loved the home, the location, and the island and would absolutely book this trip and home again in the future. Our only request was that we would have loved to have beach chairs as part of the rental and possible a mid-week maid service included in the price as for a 14-day rental it would have been nice to have this included at least one time mid-stay as we did a lot of laundry to have clean towels the entire stay. Otherwise, fabulous all around!!!! Thank you
Christine D., Washington DC, DC, 1.3.14
- Our family of 6 adults loved Hale Nalu! Immaculate upon arrival, very complete kitchen, priceless location and views, good privacy. Somehow we missed the info about the dozen outside stairs to get down to the beach. We loved dining on the deck and never having to change to go out for any meals. Renting a house made this the most relaxing vaca we have ever had! From "our" patio we saw whales, dolphins, turtles, surfers, and maybe a shark. While wading at Baby Beach a turtle came within an inch! If we had to change anything it would be the great room furniture. We found the day-bed style couch & chairs too deep to be comfortable and not enough seating for 6.
Pam N., Littleton, CO, 12.3.13
- The overall quality was excellant. The one screen needs repair. All the lights needed cleaning. The door under the sink (cupboard door needs something, it opens on its own.) Other than that everything was exceptional. Loved the location, Loved the house, absolutely no compaints.
Carol B., Nipissing, ON, 11.14.13
- We had a lovely time in Kauai and the house was perfect for our family. We were able to spread out and found the kitchen well-stocked and able to cook delicious meals with a table big enough for our entire family. The view from the deck was so beautiful and we loved the small pool! We will carry the memories with us for a very long time. (written October 2011)
- Beautiful Bird of Paradise! We have just returned from a 2 week holiday in Kauai. We found "Bird of Paradise" by going to vacation home rentals available in Poipu and couldn't have been happier with our choice. The house is beautiful. Well stocked, complete with beach towels, snorkel gear, boogie boards and beach chairs. The laundry room was great for the 8 of us as it is equipped with 2 washers and 2 dryers. The kitchen was well equipped as well, complete with lots of pots and pans, dishes, cutlery and even a waffle iron. (makes excellent waffles :) The bedrooms were cozy, lots of closet space. The suite away from the main house was great! My daughter and grandaughter stayed there and they had there own entrance, frige,microwave and t.v. Nice and private for earlier bedtimes. Ning Gulari was awesome at communicating months before our trip. She always returned e-mails promptly. We were also happy with our security deposit refund. Received it via pay-pal before our bags were unpacked. The home is spacious, clean and is in an excellent neighbourhood. Close to beaches, pool and even a small shopping mall. We treated it like we would our own home and would not hesitate to recommend it anyone. For anyone lucky enough to be heading to Kauai with a larger group this is a great home to stay in. (written June 2009)
- Our family of 7 (6 adults and one teen) had a fabulous time at your beautiful home. The house was so spacious and comfortable for all of us and we never felt crowded. We even had a honeymooning couple in the seperate master guest room and they were in complete privacy when they wanted it. Your home lacked nothing in amenities, and we especially appreciated the brand new snorkelling equipment and boogie boards that were waiting for us. The guidebooks in the home were really helpful, and the location couldn't have been more convenient for walking to either Poipu Beach or Shipwreck Beach. We were able to easily walk to the Hyatt Luau (which was very good and we would highly recommend). Every morning we marvelled in the gorgeous sunrises while eating our breakfast on the lanai. We savored the views and tradewinds each afternoon while relaxing on the loungechairs on the lanai and shared stories from our day. The experience will leave a forever lasting memory. The best overall word to describe the house is comfortable, but it was so much more! (written September 2011)
- Fantastic!! This was truly our home away from home vacation. We had such a wonderful time at the Bird of Paradise home and would fully recommend it to anyone!!! We spent 5 nights in Kauai and then 4 in Honolulu at a hotel. We have already decided that we will definitely return to Kauai! This island truly is paradise!! (written October 2011)
- Thank you for sharing your wonderful home. We had a Christmas and New years family reunion we will never forget.We were 6 adults and 2 children and there was plenty of room and privacy for all. Everything you could possibly need was provided for, from two washers and dryers to boogie boards,beach towels ,a well stocked kitchen and a beautiful view. We also loved the pool.We will definitely stay in this home again if we are ever in the area. Mahalo (written January 2012)
- We were on the island for a wedding. Two cousins had not seen each other for close to 16 years. The unit was an absolute treasure. Clean, comfortable and everything in great working order. I would definitely stay here again and will also be recommending it to my friends and family. Thank you for assisting with a most memorable trip.
M A., 10.13.13
- Nice home- could use some updating, box springs on the beds and a television that worked in the living room though. Liked the golf course location and the pool. Would recommend it to friends with those exceptions.
Dave S., Andover, MN, 8.14.13
- There were 10 in our party and the house accommodated us nicely. We enjoyed our stay very much. The house is in a perfect location and the solar heated pool was a plus. I would give it 5 stars but the carpet on the stairs was filthy and the tub in the upstairs bath was stopped up. The fan in the upstairs living area needs repair as well as the kitchen faucet. These repairs are minor and we would consider renting the house again.
Joanne C., San Luis Obispo, CA, 8.5.13
- FIVE STARS for gorgeous Hale Ohana Kauai *****Our family enjoyed a fabulous vacation in this amazing house in an idyllic setting. The house is a destination in itself, with the private baths in every bedroom, a family size kitchen, the loft ceilings, and the incredible views from every room. The huge lanai was the perfect place to lounge in the shade, enjoy the sunset, eat dinner, or watch the ocean. The grassy lawn was a fun place to frolic, do yoga, or sunbathe. We even saw sea turtles at nearby Baby Beach. We booked excursions through the concierge, which was nice because she made sure they departed close to where we were staying, for our convenience. Everything went smoothly with all our arrangements in booking for the entire trip. The condition and cleanliness of the house was excellent. The kitchen was furnished with all the pots, utensils, glassware and dishes we needed, and then some! The ceiling fans and large patio doors kept us comfortable (along with the trade winds) most all the time. I noticed that some people complained about a lack of air conditioning. I can't imagine ever wanting to shut all the doors and windows in Hawaii. We knew that we were vacationing on a tropical island and were prepared to go swimming if we got warm! Besides, one of the very best things about Hale Ohana Kauai is hearing the surf. From Hale Ohana we could walk to a very new shopping center that has high end stores, nice restaurants, and a gourmet farmer's market once a week. All in all, it was a perfect vacation in paradise!
Marilyn W., La Verne, CA, 7.24.13
- Beautiful home. Excellent snorkeling just in the backyard! LOVED the pool. We would definitely rent this house again and will recommend the home. Thank you.
Augusto V. S., St. Albert, AB, 7.23.13
- The Honulani exceeded our expectations! The photographs on the website don't do it justice. And the reviews about fishermen on the wall had me a bit worried, but lo, not one fisherman all week. We had the most private, comfortable, relaxing stay at the Honulani! Making arrangements with Vacation Rental Agent were smooth and easy. Only one small complaint - I called to ask if the Honulani has Wifi, and the agent never returned my call even though I left both the house phone number and my cell. The home was immaculate, and we were greeted with fresh Hawaiian flowers in the entryway. The public rooms are large and comfortably furnished. The master bedroom is spacious, and the other bedrooms were perfectly comfortable for our 4 children ages 17-25. The kitchen is equipped with everything you could possibly need and more. Unlike other rentals I've used, this one was supplied with plenty of everyday needs - soap, tissues, paper towels, etc. There is even one closet with an abundance of beach towels. There were straw beach mats in the garage, and even a couple of sun hats. All these touches made us feel right at home! Sitting on the deck each morning to enjoy the ocean view was like a dream - it's postcard perfect. We snorkeled right in front of the house, swam in the pool, and loved the large backyard for frisbee. We would definitely book this rental again and recommend it to our friends. We were out each day enjoying beautiful Kauai, hiking, kayaking, boating, visiting the nearby botanical gardens, but it was wonderful to come back to the Honulani to relax and be together. We all feel very spoiled after staying in this beautiful home!
Gerilyn D., Fair Oaks, CA, 4.2.13
- This is the best value we have been able to find anywhere in Hawaii. It is our third time and we plan to return.
Donald L., Vancouver, WA, 2.23.13
- This was a lovely location, right at Baby Beach. The house is in excellent condition bar the broken hinge in the kitchen. The rooms are a good size with great lanais off all rooms facing the ocean. The area is quiet and well kept. we thoroughly enjoyed our week on Kauaii and look forward to our next visit.
Karen M., Portland, OR, 12.6.12
- Kuhio Shores 211 is located on a beautiful property but the unit itself is in desperate need of updating. The unit was clean but the furniture is not comfortable, older TV with no DVD player but a VCR (who uses VCRs anymore?), appliances are on their last leg (can't put much in the refrigerator or it stops working, dishwasher leaks). The drapes in the bedrooms need to be replaced with shutters (or at least a blackout curtain) in order to keep out the light from outdoor lights at night. Unit location is good and the view of the ocean is spectacular. I would not recommend this unit to others but would recommend Kuhio Shores. I will hold off reviewing your agency until I see how long it takes to get my deposit returned (up to 60 days is ridiculous!)
Cindy S., San Ramon, CA, 9.17.12
- We stayed at Hale Ohana to celebrate my husbands 40th bday. The house was beautiful and we absolutely loved the views. The customer service was great. The beach is very mellow and good for smaller children. The best part of our trip was the amazing sunsets from the lanai. Our trip was one we will cherish always.
Richard M., Garden Grove, CA, 8.20.12
- The condo was in excellent condition, the service from the booking agen was very good and overall we were satisfied. We had ordered two extra beds from a vendor referred by the rental agent. The sheets that came witht he beds were not clean so we used the sheets that were available in the condo. These were also not clean. It appears your requirement that we wash towels, sheets etc. results in people leaving unclean sheets floded and put back on the shelf. It also puts hardship on people who have to packup, cleanup, wash and leave by 10 AM. Hope you will reconsider this policy. It would also help if hair drier and extra soap was provided as we ran out of soap and we had not brought any with us. We will certainly recommend this place to our friends as we liked the location and proximity to the beautiful poipue beach.
Meena A., 6.7.12
- We truly enjoyed Hale Nalu Everything in and around the house met our expectations, great location and the house was very comfortable with fantastic views and access to "baby beach" where we managed to sunbathe next to a lazy seal! Thanks, we'll be back.
Luis R., Hercules, CA, 5.28.12
- BBB II met, and exceeded all of our expectations. It was clean, roomy and charming. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking pans and untensils (I am pretty picky about my cooking stuff). . It was a very nice touch to have the beach mats,chairs, body boards and cooler for our use at the beach. It was the perfect house for out family of 2 adults and 2 teens. The staff was very nice when I screwed up the safe, and came out the day after to unlock it. (Sorry I will blame it on the sun) I could not say what the best part of our trip was, because it was all pretty amazing. We will definately reccommend it to friends, and hopefully get to return.. .
Jennifer T., Seattle, WA, 4.19.12
- The booking professional. The house is beautiful and the layout is just perfect. Watched huge turtles in the surf and come to shore to sun bathe right in front of the house.We've rented this home twice now and I'm certain we'll be back again. Aloha!
Gloria B., Dana Point, CA, 4.10.12
Craig B., Amarillo, TX, 4.10.12
- Hale Nalu was all that was advertised and more. If you want oceanfront, this is the rental for you! The views are spectacular. Loved sitting on the deck watching the whales and dolphins. Short trip to Brennecke's Beach put us right at turtle cove as well. Travelled the entire island in our week there, and we were convenient to everything. Loved eating out at Merriman's. The food and service were outstanding. I only had to contact customer service once - I was worried the hammock was broken, they assured me the lawn service takes it down when they come. . What a relief! Totally loved the property and would stay there again in a second. I'm afraid it has ruined me for anything other than oceanfront from here forward!!
Pat E., Odessa, TX, 2.19.12
- the unit was clean and spacious and easy access to shops, restaurants and beaches. the pools were smaller than we expected and I couldn't ever get the internet to work the whole time I was there (on your computer or mine). probably wouldn't stay there again only because we'd prefer to be ocean front...I thought this place was closer to the beach. my mistake.
Naomi C., Portland, OR, 9.12.11
- BEAUTIFUL SETTING. The house was a perfect size for our family of four. Everything was clean. Plenty of towels made life that much easier. The kitchen was stocked with every gadget you could think of. We had a lovely lovely time. I would recommend this house to all my friends and family.
Safa H., Laguna beach, CA, 9.7.11
- We absolutely loved the location of the bungalow. It's maybe 20 steps away from the beach and you can see the water from your kitchen and living room window. We had lovely breakfasts on the patio looking over the Pacific Ocean and dinners sitting outside. The rooms are nicely furnished, the kitchen is well equipped, we had plenty of towels, beach towels, etc. We even found sand toys, boogie boards by the backdoor. The place is quiet, the street is not busy at all, the nice beach is perfect for families with kids or couples who are looking for privacy. A nice shopping center is 4 minutes away by car where you can find restaurants, a Whole Foods-like grocery store (lots of organic food), and a sweet, little Farmers Market on Wednesday (from 4-6pm). I love Kauai and we always stayed in the Hyatt but renting the Baby Beach Bungalow made our 6th trip to the island even more special. By renting this lovely place we felt like locals. :) We were welcomed by the cleaning crew and they were very polite and did a great job cleaning out the house. They leave a vacuum cleaner in the closet that we used several times a week. (Some unwanted sand found its way in the house even after hosing off). The wireless internet and wash machine were a godsend! Kauai is the most amazing island and highly recommend it to everybody! We surely will return! Aloha, From San Francisco
Ildiko P., Kentfield, CA, 9.5.11
- 1 - the house worked brilliantly for 2 families. Lived up to expectation (ie looked like photos) and was comfortable and well furnished. The view, pool, access to beach were all fantastic. 2 - customer service was all very good. 3 - the best part of our trip was probably hanging around the house and relaxing, but we also took the opportunity to do a number of activities and explore the whole island eg surfing, horseriding, tubing down sugar cane canals, snorkeling on Napali Coast, exploring the Canyon...We did a lot! 4 - We ate at a number of restaurants, mostly in Poipu - the biggest disappointment was the much celebrated Beach House. We really enjoyed Merrimans, Josselins Tapas Restaurant, Casa di Amici, JJs Broiller, Brennecke's Broiler, Hanapepe Cafe, and Hanalei Gourmet. We also really enjoyed shopping at The Living Market in Poipu and going to the wednesday afternoon gourmet market - we did it all! 5 - I went tubing and the beauty of the Coast and what a great temperature it was and how well the kids surfed... 6 - That 2 weeks in a house in a great spot like this, is the only true way to relax. 7 - Use the Kuaui Surf School at Poipu (there are lots) and go on the Liko boat for the coastal trip. Eat pie and carrot cake at the Hanapepe Cafe - divine! 8 - Some exploring of the canyon and other beaches by foot. We pretty much stayed around Poipu unless we were doing an activity.
Nick and Leah L., Singapore, Singapore, 8.3.11
- I loved waking up and looking out to see the ocean. Having the beach right there was such a luxury, cozy and never crowded. Snorkeling was a five minute car ride away. The pictures don't do this place justice, much better in person! Can't wait to return!! AMAZING!!!!!
Julie B., Cornelius, Oregon, 6.28.11
- Our family had a wonderful time at the Stone House. The house was great. It was so nice to have all the amenities. I would have liked a crock pot. But there were so many details. Felt like home. Everything was so so nice. When we first arrived and walked around to the front of the house it took my breath away. The view was to die for. At sunset we photo nuts would take shot after shot of the glorious sunset. We ended up having a photo contest but there were no bad pictures. It is beautiful there. This is truly a piece of heaven. The first moring was unbelievable with a rainbow. I have never seen both ends of a rainbow at once. God's was showing off. His glory was everywhere. We spotted sea turtles and I am pretty sure the spout of a whale. Missing the palm trees swaying and the changing skies and the sound of the sure. WE LOVED IT. What a honor to have stayed in such a unique and speical place. The house worked for us. We loved all being together and sharing the sun and the fun. We have a terriffic Christain family but don't all live close. We are blessed. This vacation was a gift. We enjoyed the kayaking, the catameran trip and Smith's Luau but most of all the wonderful location and feeling we were left with. I have already sent pictures to our friends and recommend "The Stone House". Thanks for sharing your speical place!
Ruthann M., Grass Valley, CA, 5.5.11
- Makahuena 1-305 was on the top floor and it was clean and spacious and we absolutely loved our stay there. My sister and I shared one bedroom and one full bathroom and our friend stayed in the other bedroom and used that full bathroom. There were extra beds upstairs as well and a big sofa for more guests if you have a larger party staying there. We went food shopping at the local grocery store, so we had breakfast at the condo and packed lunches for the beach. There were so many delicious restaurants all over the island. We went to Keoki's Paradise near the condo twice and it was delicious...a great place to eat outdoors! Our favorite restaurant was in the North SHore at the Hanalei Colony Resort called Mediterranean. The food was out of this world and fairly priced. We enjoyed driving all over the island looking at different beaches and taking in all the spectacular scenery. Everything is so green and it was sunny everyday! We enjoyed sightseeing to the North Shore, to the West Shore and around the East Shore. We went to Poipu Beach Park 3x while there and it was perfect. We snorkeled, swam, laid in the sun, rented an umbrella, sat under a palm tree for shade, and our friend went surfing as well. We saw people having barbeques and sitting on the grass to get some shade. We even saw seta turtles there. My favorite beach was Anini beach in the North Shore. You can see the lighthouse from a distance as well. The condo was in a good location because we were able to get lots of sun, eat at many good restauarants nearby, it was a short 20-minute drive to the airport, there was a parking lot in the condo where we parked our rented Jeep Wrangler and it was safe. We could hear the sound of the waves through the open windows, which was amazing. The only thing was that the beach outside the window was not a beach to swim or lay out at. We had to drive to other beaches to spend the day at. The condo was clean, spacious, had a pretty view of the ocean, and the people who lived there and rented from there were so nice. I loved Kaua'i and would like to go again!
Ann Marie L., Neptune, New Jersey, 4.26.11
- Great house. Beautiful views, direct access to a small sandy beach, which is hard to find in this area.
Steve G., Villa Park, Ca, 4.10.11
- Hi, everything was great but the info supplied on the lock box code was wrong, and there were a few appliances in need of repair. The gas stove was leaking (we called the Emergency contact and they came to fix it the next day), and the soap copmpartment in the dishwasher was broken. Some tiles in the master bathroom could really use a recaulking. Otherwise, it was a spectacular location and a great house, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks!
Petra T., Los Altos Hills, CA, 3.24.11
- Excellent place, really comfy and clean, we had to drive to the beach because we have a baby but other than that everything was supereme
Azzam A., Calgary, AB, 3.3.11
- The condo was really well equipped with five buggie boards, beach chairs and beach towels. Also the Unit was very well kept and had lots of space.
Susan C., Roseville, California, 8.5.10
- It is a beautiful location and house. Unfortunately, it is becoming worn in the beds, sheets, towels, barbecue and some furniture. For the price, it should all be first rate. We will not be returning there next year.
John H., Medical Lake, WA, 5.3.10
- the location was the most beautiful spot we have ever stayed at the customer service could have been better, someone came and took family pictures off the wall while we were up in the high ground during the tsunami warning, we had to call the rental agent to find out what happened to them, they should have told us, we try to take good care of the places we rent. Also any relative should not be able to just walk into a house which is being rented for $5000 a week, we should be insured of some privacy. the best part of our trip was being where we were with our loved ones the best restaurant was the Beach House the best picture was the family on the lawn of the house we tell our friends that Kauai is beautiful but is getting too full of big condo units & less trees As we have been to the Hawaiian islands 12 times we know what expect, however the constant destruction and construction on the house next door was an unpleasant part of our stay. The Stone House is a beautiful place but needs some loving care, several unstairs windows need repair, the downstairs bedroom windows were stuck open, we fixed them as there would be easy access to the house thru them, most blinds were not working, we fixed two of them, toaster oven not fully working, bed covers & shams need washing, dining room chair broken, we still would like to come back, would buy the house if ever for sale but hope to come back in 2012 for my husbands 75th birthday. We have seen that house every time we have been in Kauai, it will always be the most wonderful location to me our stay was almost perfect, the construction was no ones fault, but the things that need attention in the house should be addressed. I know whoever took the pictures off the wall was only saving the family heritage, but some consideration could have been shown to us, we were enjoying the family history (book & photos) and the blank wall (full of nail holes) was a shock when we returned from high ground and remained that way for the rest of our stay. The lawns, trees and construction of the Stone House are wonderful and beautiful.
Anne S., Jamesville, NY, 3.28.10
- The area was beautiful as always, the house was very nice, excellant location. I would recomend that you put a new gas grill at the house and also adjust the hot water in the master bedroom shower. The service was excellent and the cleaning people did an excellant job cleaning the unit before we checked in. The best restaurant I found was Tidepools at the Hyatt. The sunshine helicopter tour was excellent as was the whale watching. The best insider tip I received was the fish market in old town. I plan on comming back next year for a month in either January or February
Philip D., Medford, MA, 1.17.10
- The house was wonderful! All eight of us enjoyed the stay, especially breakfasting on the balcony. One morning two sea turtles were frolicing right below us. Sons-in-law and older grandchildren enjoyed a day up the canyon, zip lines, kayaking, etc. I especially enjoyed the National Tropical Botanical Gardens, an easy walk from the house. Best restaurant = Casablanca. Best carry-out = Poipu Grill, another easy walk from the house. Next time I'll try the garlic shrimp from the truck that parks at one end of Hoona Lane.
Harriet M., Alexandria, VA, 1.6.10
- Hale Moana was a great place to stay; private, quite, relaxing, and all the amenities of home with no extra charge for the unbelievable sunsets. Customer service was great, two minor issues we noticed when we arrived were handled within hours of reporting them. I can't think of a down side worth mentioning in regards to staying in this unit, my wife and I enjoyed all 11 days there and would not hesitate to stay there again. If you do make it here be sure to ask the locals for direction to the Kipu falls swimming hole (the hike is well worth the effort) and if you'd like an unforgettable adventure be sure to make it up to the Port Allen airstrip for a motorized micro-light flight over the island with Jim Gaither at Big Sky Kauai. It may not replace a helicopter tour but its a most exhilarating experience and a very up-close view of things you'll never see otherwise. Many thanks to Home Away and Island Rentals for helping make our time on the island most memorable.
Ron P., Baltimore, Maryland, 10.24.09
- This rental had lots of roaches and ants even after the extriminator was called and did whatever he did. Poor maintenance, ie broken light switches, etc throughout (I got tired of fixing them). The villa (especially apppliances) was dirty in fact we called in house cleaner to do a once over. The view was nice, not much beach.
Michael L., Ogden, Ut, 10.6.09
- This unit was very nice and we would definitely stay there again!
Cheryl P., Ridgefield, WA, 2.23.09
- A truly beautiful home. We were very grateful to have been able to stay even if for a short period of time. Would definately like to go back. Thank you. Leigh Vickerstaff
Leigh V., West Vancouver, B.C., 1.8.09
- The view from this condo is wonderful. We spent hours looking at the ocean. The turtles came up everyday close to the shore and you can see whales in the distance. Also, we had a wonderful view of the surfers. The best "insider tip" is the restaurant/bar TomKats in Koloa. The food and service are great. Very reasonable for the islands. Also, the best Mai Tai's in Kauai in our opinion. Only two negatives. One was the outside hallway light came through the drape at night. Had to hang a blanket over the window so we could sleep. Number 2 were the twin beds in the second bedroom. My son who is only 5'11" feet hung off the end of the bed.
Juanita S., Granada Hills, CA, 1.8.09
- We had a 15 days at Whalers Cove. The unit was excellent with views of the sea including passing humpback whales. The owner has done a wonderful job providing a comfortable place with all the extras one could desire. Two minor gliches were handled promptly by the rental agent. Two things that might be helpful for future users of this unit. 1) The instructions to get to the unit need to be updated. There is now a rotary that one needs to go around on the road from Koloa and there are a couple of sentences in the directions that are redundant making the final turns a bit confusing. Fortunately we had scoped out the directions with our mapping program on our computer and were able to get to the unit without a problem. 2) The arrangements for this unit are NOT made with the Whalers Cove management. What this means is some of the amenities provided to the other units are not included for Whalers Cove 113-2 rental. Where we got a bit confused is reading in the travel guides it said daily maid service is included. However, this is not so for unit 113-2. When you consider the rate we paid for this unit (which we thought was the best unit on the property) was about half the top published rate for the deluxe 2 bedroom Whalers Cove units, we were very happy to go without the extras. The best activity we did was to take the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour of the island. We fist tried to book with one of Blue Hawaiian's competitors. After being rescheduled twice (a day or two later each time) we called Blue Hawaiian and had the trip scheduled for the same day! Thank you for your part in making out trip a great experience.
Ron B., Laconia, New Hampshire, 1.8.09
- The best feature of Kahalekai is the fantastic view and locale. The best part of our vacation was ATV-ing at Kipu Adventures where we took our most favorite pictures. The best restaurant was Roy's. We loved Snorkle Bob's. We ate tons of ice cream at Lappert's. Do not take the Wailua Kayak & Canoe guided tour as the guides are surly, rude, and rush you. Thumbs way down for them.
Judy S., Oregon City, Oregon, 11.14.08
- Honulani the villa is lovely, although my wife found some of the decor rather dated, especially in the bathroom. The view was fantastic...when it wasn't obscured by the groups of young surfers traipsing through the front yard into the back garden, sitting on the wall at the end of the garden or making use of the garden hose to wash themselves down after a heavy surfing workout. This was obviously a problem for other visitors before us, as demonstrated by entries in the guest book. However, a solution, even if only partial was found and a gate was put up across the entry into the front yard. My wife removed the hose and hey presto, after much rather comical reactions by the surfer dudes when they realised that the hose was no longer there (all captured nicely on video) we had far fewer unwated guests. Let me make myself very clear...We really enjoyed ouyr stay in Honulani and loved the villa itself, but the first couple of days of our much too short stay was very blighted by the completely unexpected intrusion into our expensive holiday home of truculent and unpleasant visitors. We paid thousands of dollars for a peaceful and beatiful view of the Kauaian coast, and we didn't get it. Of course, the ongoing (for months) construction work next door was unexpected as well. Would we rent Honulani again? Yes, but checking to make sure that these unexpected things would not affect us again. We took a helcopter trip with Blue Hawaiian. Highly recommended and well worth the expense.
Marek J., London, UK, 9.10.08
- This is the second time we stayed here, and the unit is great.
Allan W., Vancouver, WA, 5.5.08
- The Kahalekai was beautiful. The house is right on the water, and we went to sleep with the sound of the surf every night. The best part of our trip was watching the whales breach out of the water while sitting on the patio...it was awesome. We took a helicopter tour of the island which was beautiful. We also ziplined, which was amazing. One of the best parts of our trip was just relaxing with our group (4 couples of old friends) while enjoying the Kahalekai. We made new friends with the staff at Brenneckis in Poi Pu........what fun. The rental company was very accomodating and we felt very welcome. Thank you!
ReNae Y., SPOKANE, WA, 2.28.08
- The house was just stunning. The second my family and I stepped into it we were in tears, it was breathtaking. it is a very convenient location. Be prepared to spend most of your time on the Lanai because the view is out of this world. It boggles my mind that anyone who owns a house like this would not be living in it every day. The whole holiday was a dream. Kauai is so beautiful. If you are brave then you have to see the Island via open door helicopter. it was one of the highlights of my holiday. Ask to be taken up by a dude called Floyd at Port Allen . Quality food can be found at the Plantation and at Roy's nearby. Not too much choice for vegetarians though. Best insider tip was from a lovely lady and her dog (Zoe) at a surfboard rental place called "Kemo's". if you surf, she'll advise you where's safe and where's not. Longboard and Mai Tai's are the drinks of the holiday. Last bit of advice, "bug spray". We left some anti-bug candles there for the next Folks that stay...essential.
Richard O., CULVER CITY, CA, 2.4.08
- We love Kauai but will probably not stay at Hale Ohe again.
Junie F., Teton Village, WY, 1.31.08
1 - 100 of 134
Poipu vacation reviews