- waialua vacation reviews
- I am very pleased with your organization. From the booking that was done a long time ago (in April) - Jason and Candace Miles, to Arrival Instructions (I believe from Jessica Williams), and to the Property Manager - Jamie Santini (I may have misspelled her last name) -- every one was superb, and provided us the info/service we needed. I'd like to particularly praise Jamie, who was truly Johnnie on the spot (or more appropriately, 'Jamie on the spot') to address various issues/questions that came up. She always responded via text, or a phone call, immediately. We discovered that the TV in the Master bedroom wasn't working - and she replaced it (personally brought it over and installed it) within a couple hours of the notification. We had an issue with the Refrigerator, and although I never was sure of what was the exact cause of the problem (faulty Freezer door? a misaligned Freezer door that needed a simple tweak?; or whatever) - she got it fixed (calling in repair guy) very quickly, and even brought over some ice to hold us over until it got it fixed. Although major kudos to Jamie (she is great - and I can't thank her enough) - I really need to provide extreme kudos for the house (or 'Waialua Retreat). It was incredible. The house itself was very clean, and well equipped (TVs in 3 different rooms, new appliances (albeit the Refrigerator had some mysterious problem for awhile)). It had a bunch of stuff that we didn't use -BBQ, hot-tub, but it was nice to know it was there. A very nice laundry room (not new washers and dryers - but they did the job and worked well) - that was loaded with all kinds of useful stuff: two bicycles (and helmets/locks), kayaks, and a ton of snorkeling gear (masks, goggles, flotation vests for uncertain/beginner swimmers) - which we made good use. And a private walk to the sandy beach (right through the gate in the backyard) that was within 20 feet of the gate). I don't think the beach is good for swimming (unless one is very skilled), although we did see one person snorkeling out there once, but it was sandy, and very pretty - excellent area to walk. I should say 'I don't believe it was good for swimming' - but to be fair -I never tried to swim on this beach. My understanding is that the North Shore is much rougher - particularly this time of the year - so I didn't try it. But I save my last comments for my favorite part -- the Lanai is superb. I just spent many hours sitting there, reading, and enjoying the incredible view of clouds, waves, the stars, and the ocean. Just ideal - and a very well done, and constructed Lanai (maybe one suggestion - trim the top of the trees next to the Lanai a wee bit more to enhance the view for people that aren't over 6 feet tall). One night/morning we even had a light show where the lightening (far off on the horizons) lit up the clouds with intermittent flashes. Just a wonder of enjoying God's nature. That's about it for my short summation. Excellent area - excellent property - excellent people on your team. I don't think your website really communicates how special the place is - although, to be fair - you pretty much have to see it to experience it. Words don't do it justice Thanks very much! - Al
Albert M., Sunnyvale, CA, 11.6.19
- The Waialua Retreat is a great home that met every need of our family of 7. Owners have supplied everything you need from kitchen supplies to beach gear. Home is in perfect location with a quiet beach area and minutes away from town and great restaurants. We stayed 8 days and cooked in a lot to enjoy the great ocean views throughout the day. We loved the house and can't wait to go back.
Larry C., Long Grove, IL, 1.5.18
- Although I've never been good at words, I will attempt to do so because this was such a slice of heaven to be in. With a beach right out your back door, to some of the most spectacular views of the North Shore, there was nothing lacking with this home away from home. The open floor plan with high ceilings complimented the airy feel and breezy atmosphere and truly lived up to it's name "Retreat". Quiet nights listening to the surf, and quiet nights in the neighborhood, a refreshing change from the everyday life in the city. Shopping, Shrimp Trucks, Sightseeing, all close by. Surf lessons and Shark adventures and fine dining too! As I've said...a true slice of heaven
Paul G., Sacramento, CA, 4.24.17
- Beautiful home in a perfect location. Wish the trip didn't have to end! We made lovely memories , and welcomed a new daughter in law into the family while staying there! We will definately be back and hopefully someday with grandbabies.
Michelle T., Sahurita, AZ, 7.31.16
- The Waialua Retreat is a beautiful home and is a perfect family vacation home. HBR was excellent in preparing us for the home. The house is well taken care of and equipped with everything you want for a beach vacation. Very clean house as well! Having 2 bicycles to use was a big plus. We are extremely satisfied with the rental and would definitely rent again. Haliewa is a great vacation town with great food and lots to do. We highly recommend this rental!
Court D., Willowick, OH, 5.19.14
- This place is our home away from home. Out third time there and we still love it! Sea turtles everywhere on the beach, a palatial kitchen where you don't miss out because there's an ocean view from all angles, and a jacuzzi to end the night. We love this home, the quiet, unpopulated area and we can't wait to go back. Jamie, the property manager, lives conveniently across the street and is great to ask any local questions or come over to help with any issues with the house. (of which there are few) Mahalo!
Jennifer M., 4.17.14
- We recently returned from our 2nd stay at this wonderful vacation home in paradise. And that is exactly how you feel when you're here...comfy at your own home in paradise! Our 1st vacation stay was in 2012, and this beautiful home still has all the conveniences you would want, and then some. Kayaks & life vests, snorkeling gear, a hot tub, hammocks, BBQ grill, a grassy back yard, comfy beds, plenty of pillows & blankets, air conditioning in the bedrooms, etc., etc., etc. This home is extremely clean, kept-up and cared for...and it shows inside and out. You would think that the owner lived here all the time. Because the house is in a residential neighborhood, the beach (which is about 30 steps from the deck) is almost like your own private beach...you're not sharing it with hundreds of other people like when you stay at an expensive & tiny one bedroom hotel in Waikiki. The North Shore is quiet and clean, with plenty to do. Art galleries, restaurants, shrimp trucks, grocery & drug stores, souvenirs (sea shells, t-shirts, everything Hawaii), the Polynesian Cultural Center and more. The "Big Wave" shrimp truck (in town) was even featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives...don't miss their great garlic shrimp! We thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the huge deck, watching the whales jump straight-up out of the water, followed by a huge splash...you didn't even need binoculars to see them. Hanging with the sea turtles as the lay on the beach, watching the surfers do their thing, and grilling fresh fish for dinner made for many wonderful days & evenings. There is even a little pizza place (with good pizza, pasta & salads) that has live entertainment on weekends (in the shopping area across from the Old Sugar Mill shopping area). Don't hesitate to book this gem of a vacation spot...you'll love it here! The home is large enough for numerous friends or families to share...without being on top of each other. And a special thanks to Jamie for being there and having everything ready for our arrival. Now all we have to do is figure out when we can schedule our next stay. Mahalo!!!!!!! Al & Deb Golden Phoenix, AZ
David & Sheryl D., 4.8.14
- We had a great time. The house was perfect with hot tub, kayaks, bicycles. We saw turtles and spent most of the time in the water. We hope to be back again
Alain L., Georgetown, ON, 2.8.14
- The pictures for this rental do not do the place justice. It is by far the best place we have stayed. The view and access to the beach is phenomenal and the view of the mountains in the front is awesome. I have never had access to all the extras this place provides...hot tub, kayaks, full range of beach supplies, and so much more. The house itself is beautiful and the open layout is perfect for a beach home. Definitely recommend it.
Tanya A., Geneva, FL, 2.1.13
- Paradise on the Beach! Best vacation we have had to date! We spent 16 days basking in the sun, kayaking, beachcombing, siteseeing, and just relaxing. The house is beautiful and fully appointed. Can't think of anything that we didn't have at our fingertips. The only thing we needed to make it feel like our own home were our personal photographs. Turtle watching(in the water and on the beach) was so much fun. We even spotted dolphins a few times. Close to Haleiwa for shopping and dining. Recommend Mackie's for shrimp or further out Giovannis. Also The Crouching Lion is a very nice place for a relaxing meal overlooking the ocean. You have to drive a bit to get there but it is worth the trip. The Bahia fish stew was to die for and if you like steamed clams then this is the place. It is hard to put into works all the wonderful things about this fabulous place. We have only been home 2 days and are planning our next trip back to this beautiful home and our little piece of paradise. Beautiful place and everlasting memories!
David & Sheryl D., 9.25.12
- This was our family's first visit to Hawaii. The Wailua Retreat was perfect for our family (my husband and I, our daughter and son-in-law and our son). We had plenty of space for the five of us to hang out comfortably as a family but also had our own bedrooms/baths to retreat to for quiet time. The house was equipped with everything you could possibly need during your stay. We were actually surprised at some of the things on hand for our use. We would definitely rent this home again and would also recommend to friends. We spent a day in Waikiki and after seeing how busy the city is, we were so grateful we chose to stay in the quiet area on the North Shore. We loved having the beach literally as the backyard. The highlight of our day would be watching the sea turtles swimming a few feet from the shore. The only thing I negative I can say is a week just wasn't long enough.
Sheila W., Sapulpa, OK, 8.6.12
- My family and I have rented this architecturally beautiful beach house many times over the years. We are very particuluar about our accommodations, and this house meets all our requirements for comfort and real relaxation. The managers of the house could not be more generous and hospitable. We are always treated as if our returning business truly matters to them. A great find!
Joy S., 6.25.12
- I have rented many vacation houses over the years and I know that you take a big risk that the actuals won't measure up to the online digitals. At Waialua Retreat, we were delighted to find that the house was better than the descriptions on the internet. We spent Christmas and New Year's at the house - my two sons, their wives and my first grandchild of 2 months. This meant that Nana stayed home babysitting while the others went off on adventures - too many to name across the North Shore and down to Honolulu. Staying back at the house was a joy - looking out at the ocean and all down the North Shore almost to Pipeline or a walk on the long sand beach 12 steps from the back lanai and hot tub. The house is laid out very practically and is bright and inviting. In an era when you can barely get a set of false teeth through airport security, the house is fully equipped with lots of extra little things like flour, sugar, spices, soaps, paper products, flowers, etc. that make it more like a home than a house. The local market is a few minutes away and the town of Haleiwa has everything you need as long as you do it early in the morning before the crowds of tourists arrive. If you want shopping and razmataz, go to Waikiki. If you want R&R and the true wild beauty of Hawaii, go to Waialua.
Lorie J., Guelph, Ontario, 1.6.12
- We stayed over the Thanksgiving holiday. The house was beautiful, well provisioned, nicely furnished, everything there you would want. Lots of great beach stuff - towels, chairs, umbrella, snorkel gear - all nice. Great kayaks with good paddles. House is right on the beach so you can hear the water at night and walk right out your door to the sand. Nice deck with good grill and outdoor dinner table. Jamie, the manager, was nice and helpful. All in all, very good experience.
- What a great house! There were six of us, three couples and the house is very spacious. We all had our own bathroom, and the rooms are far apart. The first thing is the view, you walk in and it's all glass with ocean in front of you. The lanai was our favorite spot for enjoying coffee in the morning and barbequing at night. My favorite was the private out door shower under the Plumeria tree. I never used the indoor shower! Lots of beach chairs, coolers, boogie boards ect. Three kayaks with life jackets. We kayaked every morning right in front of the house, there is river near by to go up. The North Shore has some of the best beaches in world, with surf and paddle board lessons in town. Great dining all over the island and in the town near by. At night we sat out on the beach at looked at the stars. We can't wait to return. This house had everything we wanted and it's gated so it feels very private. If we had any questions Jamie the manger always got right back to us.
Jan S., 10.12.11
- The house was clean, open, and easy to enjoy. We loved being close to the water and and especially loved spending time in Haleiwa, Waimea Beach, Shark's cove, etc. The Polynesian Culture Center was a great place for the kids. Expensive, but well worth the money. The best place to grab food is at Mackey's. Great shrimp! Jamie was very helpful. Great service. We loved it and can't wait to come back.
Todd C., Omaha, NE, 7.29.11
- This was a pretty nice house, but it could be cleaned a bit better. Also, the washer and dryer are not inside the home. You have to walk outside and down the stairs, to do the laundry which was a pain. There is not good swimming in front of the house. It is brown water and VERY rocky. The beach is littered with sticks and wood. The beach is not good at all, the plus side is that you have it all to yourself! We were literally the only ones on the beach, but only because it was a very crappy beach.
Jesse and Kara C., Shakopee, MN, 7.18.11
- Great house in a great location. I'm very pleased. The house was very clean and stocked with everything to make a trip fun and comfortable. This was my fourth time to Hawaii, and the most enjoyable, thanks in large part to the choice of where to stay. I know that lots of Hawaii houses and condos promote their proximity and views of the beach, but this one truly delivers. It literally is a bordering a long sandy beach, albeit rather narrow at high tide. There are plenty of more developed white sandy beaches up and down the north shore, should you crave more excitement. Here are my hot "insider" tips: * The Thai food from the van by the Waialua library is fantastic. The best Thai I've ever had. Order it to go and enjoy it on the deck. * Snorkeling in Shark's Cove, just past Foodland in Haleiwa.
Michael S., Las Vegas, NV, 4.25.11
- Hi We loved the house, it was lovely. Full of room for our family of 6 and great proximity to the beach. Great having the fans and the aircon for when it was really hot. Enjoyed using the bbq on the deck and looking at the vista. My highlight was the number of the turtles right at our doorstep. We used the double kayak and paddled round and the boogie boards. For the rest of the family it would have been the surfing lessons at Haleiwa at the local surf shop. They all managed to catch quite a few waves and now think they are surfing champions. Best restaurant for us was Jamesons which was quite near the surf shop and we popping in there after the surfing lessons for a couple of Mai Tais and dinner. Loved the gift shop in there too. When we come back to Hawaii we still have lots to do, didn't make it to Pearl Harbour or the local falls. Spent most of the time R&R and enjoying the spa pool too. Quite liked popping into Waikiki too which isn't that far as the Ali Moana Beach Park is beautiful and the beach there is very safe and close to beautiful Hanauma Bay with its great snorkelling even after a bit of a tropical storm the water was still clear. Loved the blowhole too just past Hanauma with the fantastic rock formations. Loved staying away from the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and enjoying the quiet tranquility of Waialua and enjoyed browsing the souvenier shops and art. Also loved the red box at the supermarket where you could rent DVD's for just $1... Couple of things about the house. The spa pool wasn't working all the time but the property manager was great and it took a couple of days to fix but someone came in straight away when they were notified. Also it would have been great to have a CD player as we couldn't have any music going at all, not even a radio. Also we couldn't get the TV going in the lounge but the bedroom TV was going. We missed the rubbish day etc as didn't see the welcome book when we arrived which was next to the phone (we don't really use the phone when we are on holiday) in a far corner of the house. So didn't see the welcome book for the first few days. Maybe that could be left on the kitchen counter for when you first arrive. Thanks very much for the great stay!
Conal D., Auckland 2571, NZ, 1.16.11
- We loved this place! First...Location..location..location.. ON THE WATER (snorkeling off the beach not so good though - some stormy seas etc.) but sea turtles were around. AWESOME North Shore spot. Close to Haleiwa town - great restaurants and shops, plus busy beach. Very local feel though which was what we wanted. Then short hop to great hiking, golfing, etc. - why stay anywhere else?? Had never been to North Shore, but we will be back. You can golf in the morning, hike in the afternoon and get a massage in the evening (we did!). OH, and there's a great bike path on Wailua Beach Road that runs for about 2 miles..great for morning wlaks, running or biking..great views of the mountains and you get to see lots of local architecture. We missed the Waimea Canyon but we will get there next year! Second...HOUSE WAS GREAT - huge bedrooms, kitchen and living space. 100% view of ocean all day from inside (grat windows) and from the lanai - just what we wanted. It rained a few days but the lanai kept us dry so we could eat outside. Quiet residential cul de sac was private and restful. AND THE TOYS! Snorkel equipment, paddles and kayak, chairs and beach booties - felt like my house. Even an extra tank of propane! KITCHEN was well stocked and ready to go - would have liked a baking pan for brownies though! PS Best insider tip: shrimp trucks beyond Turtle Bay - Rommy's is the best. PPS 2nd best insider tip: watch the moon rise from the house's lanai. Awesome. This was the best house we have ever rented anywhere in the world. OK, it's on the North Shore beach so it has an advantage there...but it really did feel like home. Thanks to the owners and the Management Service. We honestly had EVERYTHING we needed! We talked about booking now for next year!
Robert C., Cupertino, California, 12.27.10
- The home is absolutely wonderful with all the necessities we needed. We had plenty of room and enjoyed the spectacular view of the ocean and sea turtles.
Archie V., Phoenix, Arizona, 6.29.10
- We enjoyed our stay in this rental. We had lived in Oahu 20 years ago and it sure changed. The rental was great, everything you need to enjoy your stay. The kids were able to snorkel out and see the turtles just a few feet off of the shore. They really enjoyed it. This part of the island is the way things used to be in Hawaii, if you are trying to decide on this rental, you won't be disappointed. We will definitely return to this rental should it be available in the future. Mahalo from St. Louis
Tom W., Troy, Missouri, 1.4.10
- Everything was excellent...just no champagne glasses!!! we will be coming back for sure...I need to change expiry date on my visa card to process refund..pls contact when you can!!! cheers Maggie
Maggie D., Uki, New South Wales, Aust, 11.29.09
- L loved being right on the North Shore Beach. Wonderfully, the late morning of our departure day, the turtles swam up to us and stayed for many hours. They were a delight to see and as long as we did not try to touch them, they stayed nearby. Being on the North Shore took us away from all the hustle of a busy city life in Honolulu, but it was not far away if one desires that life. We did go to Diamond Head and ventured to the top. Wonder view of that area and watched some local outriggers competing. Actually the best shrimp to eat was gotten at the small shrimp Bus/RV's on the roadsides. Very tasty and good amount. The best picture we took was of the sunset and the full moon over our beach! Best tip is to just relax and enjoy the scenery and people!
Karen S., Havre de Grace, Maryland, 10.12.09
- Dear Hawaiian Beach Rentals, Our party enjoyed our stay at the Waialua Retreat very much. The beach was wonderful and the remoteness from Waikiki was a relief. We would recommend this to anyone interested in getting away and not having to deal with the big city of Honolulu. Thank you and Mahalo, Ralph Hamilton
Ralph H., Stevensville, MD, 2.21.09
- Great house and super location. All the beach toys anyone could want. One of our best family vacations. We cannot wait until we can go back.
Kathy T., Woodland Hills, California, 8.11.08
- Great house, location, and neighborhood. The beach access is very cool and we had the beach virtually to ourselves the entire stay. We will return and highly recommend it to all. Oh and if you like swimming with sea-turtles this house comes with a whole host of them within 10 feet of the beach.
Rick G., Spokane Valley, Wa, 6.24.08
- We have stayed in many houses on Oahu and Kauai and this is by far the best equipped. What a lovely place! We enjoyed the many turtles coming every day to eat right outside - and we were amazed at how close to shore they were. The beach is long and empty! Foodland was the best bet for groceries and Waialua Bakery has cookies to die for. Across the main street from there is a fabulous ice cream store. A lovely, upscale dining experience can be had at 21 degrees at the Turtle Bay Resort. This is a peaceful and quiet place to unwind and to enjoy the 'regular' life of the island.
Marty T., Mission Viejo, CA, 8.22.07
- The home has a great location and all the "beach toys" anyone would need. It was wonderful to wake up to the surf every morning. We enjoyed the food at Cholos in Halewia and enjoyed exploring the town. We used Oahu Revealed for our tour guide. It is a great book.
Karen L., Castle Rock, Colorado, 7.20.07
- This was all we dreamed it would be. This was a wonderful vacation setting the home is gorgeous and it is set up with everything you'll need in a home away from home in paradise. The location was wonderful it was easy to get around with lots to do from this location. The town of Haleiwa was awesome the residents were gracious and friendly, the food was wonderful (Jameson's By the Sea and Haleiwa Joe's, the shaved ice and pizza), eating in was just as wonderful, breakfast and coffee on the Lanai, BBQ & drinks on the Lanai. And the beach, OH the beach! There was everything we needed (even beach towels) to enjoy the beach and we did and we did and Ok enough. You won't be disappointed if you choose Waialua Retreat for your Hawaii vacation.
Linda R., Green River, WY, 6.14.07
- An awesome place. VERY roomy, open plan design. Beach is very private. Close to all the shops and stores in Haliewa town. Great deck!! A/C's, fans etc. Everything you need is included. My wife got a kick out of the little big things...like the automatic garbage can. Can't think of a bad thing to say about the place except that it will make you not want to leave.. Jim
James R., Crescent Valley, BC (Canada), 3.28.07
- Our stay at Waialua Retreat was the best. The house had everything for your vacation enjoyment. If we would return to Hawaii, our group would stay at Waialua Retreat. A rental home is the way to go. No hotel for us ! ! Thank you all....Sept 17 thru Sept 27, 2006
Marilyn C., Warrington, PA, 9.28.06
- Our second visit to this wonderful retreat and it was just as fabulous as the first time, if not better! All the comforts of home, everything you need for the beach--just perfect! Great food, fun, weather, we'll definitely be back. Mahalo!
Donna N., La Verne, CA, 8.3.06
- WONDERFUL!!!! This home was perfect for a family vacation - - we had everything we needed. The master bedroom had the best views of all - - -one side was mountains and the other was ocean. What more could you ask for. Thank you so much.
Dian D., Corrales, New Mexico, 7.24.06
- the house was perfect, the setting outstanding and the town was very quaint. a great relaxing vacation for the whole family
LISA E., Reno, Nevada, 6.20.06
- Location was beautiful..doesn't get any better. Situated in a residential area and definitely felt like a local!
Melanie D., Vallejo, Ca, 4.26.06
- If you are looking for a quiet and private retreat this is the place to go. The home has gorgeous views, is spacious, well kept and immaculate. The beautiful beach is only a few steps away from the house. The owners have thought of everything you could ever need to make your stay pleasant - a fully outfitted kitchen, all types of items for beach activities, an outdoor hot tub, and even a desk top computer for those who need to stay connected. We can't wait to return!
Adele N., Santa Clara, CA, 1.26.06
- The view could not be more magnificent. The rooms had everything we could want or need. We loved the beach access, the balcony, and all the windows. The beds were very comfortable too. There is not a negative thing to say about the property - the neighborhood dogs, maybe, but not the house! Thanks, K Barber
K B., OKLAHOMA CITY, OK, 1.12.06
- This is the only home you will ever want to rent! It comes with all the accommodations you could possibly dream of. Great beach access, beautiful ocean views, clean! 10+++
Sarah C., Litchfield Park, AZ, 12.22.05
- This place made our work in Hawaii a vacation.
Micheal W., Portland, Oregon, 11.19.05
- Pictures cannot possibly describe what greeted us upon our arrival to Waialua Retreat. The house was beautifully accommodating, the location to the beach (just steps!) made everyone happy, especially the kids. The serene, relaxing atmosphere was just what everyone needed. We will definitely be back next year and plan on a longer stay! Mahalo!!
Donna N., La Verne, CA, 8.3.05
- Comments have already been recorded in the house guest book...the tranquility of the house and beach front was very soothing and comforting. It removed the anxiety generated by the honolulu traffic. Looking forward to our next outing...
Robert/terry L., Anchorage, Ala, 6.28.05
- The pictures did not do justice on the beauty of this location. Very quiet and serene location. All of the amenities more than surpassed our demand. The jacuzzi was ready upon our arrival and having a Costco nearby made it very economical to feed our group of seven. The only downside is the portable air conditioner in one room. The condensation holder is small and with the humidity, it fills up quickly. Hawaiian Beach Rentals was "top notch" handling the reservation, arrival info, and having someone available by phone when we had a question. Don't bring boogie boards, snorkel stuff or other swim goodies, it's all there for your use. Anyone booking this location will not be disappointed. A beautiful sunset, a nice glass of wine, and a beautiful lanai to watch the sea turtles swim by is as good as it gets. Mahalo
Bill S., Upland, California, 6.17.05
- Great place and great location for where we wanted to be. The barking dogs of the neighbors was a little bothersome but not too much. We thought the view, layout and the overall home was superb. We had a great time. Ed Andrews
Edward A., Petaluma, CA, 5.30.05