- anini vacation reviews
- We stayed here the first week of Feb. 2016. We were there with our 3 adult children (all over 30 yrs.) and our 2 1/2 year old grandson. It was one of our best vacations ever. We have always stayed in hotels when visiting Hawaii and found renting a house much more relaxing. The customer service was great and the property was very clean. The hot tub lost power on Super Bowl Sun. and we called property management that day. They had someone there on Mon. to fix it. We will definitely stay there again. Being right on the beach was so perfect when you have a toddler. Each bedroom is very private and the living spaces comfortable and roomy. We did a lot of cooking which is nice w/ a small child and there are great restaurants a short drive away in Hanalei.
Patricia H., Santa Ynez, CA, 2.14.16
- The location was great, just steps from the ocean! Travelled with 3 family units, so the house set up was just perfect. The house is older and shows some wear, but based on the other reviews it was as we expected it to be. Oceanfront houses tend to show a lot of wear from the weather. Well stocked kitchen, nice size rooms. The lanai, and view and beach were just fabulous. we had 4 kids ranging in age from 2 to 7, and the water was calm and just perfect for them to play and swim in. We had no worries about tthem in the calm waters. We were also happily surprised by the snorkeling right outside the house. Not super colorful, but we all saw lots of variety of sealife including a variety of eels, different types of triggerfish and lots of fish we could not identify (we are not snorkeling experts, so it was just great for us!). All in all wonderful vacation in Kauai, and we would return.
Amy H., Long Valley, NJ, 8.28.11
- The best things about Menehune Hale were for us, the floor plan and location, location, location. For three family units (grandparents, couple with one son, and couple with two daughters) the layout of Menehune was ideal. The grandparents got their ocean view room off to the side with the gorgeous bathroom, and the other two families had separate staircases that led to our bedrooms and bathrooms at opposite ends of the house. The main living area was spacious and open to the dining and kitchen areas... and to the lanai which wrapped around the whole ocean side and included the hot tub. The location was ideal for young, first time snorkelers. The reef out from Anini Beach breaks the waves before they hit shore, providing us with very safe and large area to snorkel. The snorkeling just outside the house was perfect for first timers, probably boring for those who snorkel a lot. As you swim out towards the reef (which my 5 and 7 year olds did comfortably) you encounter more and more see creatures. We saw an abundance of fish, and octopus, several eel, urchins, etc. Just down the beach is where the sea turtles hang out.... at least in February which is when we went. My girls never wanted to leave the beach. The house was great, but definitely rough around the edges. It was clean and very well stocked (snorkel gear, boogie boards, towels, all the pots and pans, dishes, etc. you could ever want) but had many electrical appliance issues. When we arrived on a Saturday, the dishwasher was broken. The was a note that it would be repaired soon. It was replaced on Thursday. In addition, the TV blew a fuse and stopped working, the main refrigerator (there were two) didn't quite keep the ice cream frozen and the its door frame was literally hot, two lamps didn't work, and most of the fire detectors are missing. We did call about these things and the house keeper came over the next morning and replaced the TV and the lamps. The hot tub worked and we enjoyed it, but we never quite got the hang of how to adjust the temp. Also, we had to crawl under the house (literally) to switch the tub on after it would turn off. There are more light switches in this house than perhaps any I've ever encountered each with a little label telling you what it goes to. That was more humorous than anything. We enjoyed the awesome winter rain storms AND the chickens and roosters that live... well... everywhere. The bottom line regarding the place was that we would stay here again. The price was right, layout perfect for three families units, and location perfect for kids. My main suggestion is that the fire detectors all be replaced and the hot tub issue (ease of use) be addressed.
Jodie P., Langley, WA, 2.28.11
- 1. Location, location, location 2. Service was good 3. Best part of my trip was location of home 4. The best restaurant was Lemongrass 5. The best picture was as the cave by Napali climbing vines 6. Mesquito spray
Diana P., Pinon Hills, Ca, 10.12.10
- the privacy of each room and location to the beach. Postcards in Hanalei. all of us at the house the weather was great and how much we love Kauai Catamaran Kahanu Na Pali snorkeling trip. the wonderful farmer's markets in north shore. going kayaking.
Janet C., Graton, California, 9.22.10
- The location was PERFECT!!! It isn't an extremely fancy house which is what we loved. We felt extremely comfortable and could really relax and enjoy the house. And since the water at that beach is surrounded by so much coral there are no waves. It is the perfect place for kids to play and you do not worry about them at all. The North Shore is amazing and the house is a perfect location to Princeville and Hanalie Bay. Zip lining at Princeville Ranch was probably the coolest thing we have ever done and the views were spectacular. We all plan to rent this house again in the future and would recommend it to anyone.
Nikki T., Fremont, CA, 9.8.10
- The Menehune Hale met and exceeded our expectations. Spacious rooms, privacy and togetherness space both, were great. The thoughtful amenities provided, including lots of beach towels and beach play equipment were especially useful. I would recommend to those who don't want to be awakened by roosters before dawn to bring earplugs! I also recommend getting instructions on how to operate the jacuzzi/hot tub. Be sure to visit Tahiti Nui's in Hannalei for delicious food (even though it doesn't look much like a restaurant) as well as live music that is a pleasure to relax to. I look forward to returning someday, and have already recommended this great place to several friends.
Mary W., Washington, DC, 9.12.09
- We loved our stay at Menehune Hale on Anini Beach. The location of the house is wonderful. Very peaceful and calm. The North Shore area is definitely the best place to stay, and it was wonderful to have such amazing ocean views from the house. We enjoyed many beaches in the area. Ke'e beach was one of our favorites. We loved North Shore Charters for the Napili Coast tour. The Tubing from Kauai backcountry was a great family adventure. Hanalei is the most wonderful town. We ate terrific meals there at Postcards, Kalypso, Dolphin, Hanalei Gourmet, and Wake up Hanalei. We loved the Lighthouse Bistro and the ice cream shop up there!! For others who stay in Menehune Hale, the house is not in pristine condition...many things are worn out. It is the location that is so great. My advice to others is stay on the North Shore!! Driving all over the island isn't worth it when all the best things are right out your back door!
Jane W., Carlsbad, CA, 7.9.09
- The Menehune Hale far exceeded my expectations. Believe me the pictures do not really express the granduer and beauty of this place. This house is very grand! I truly love the privacy with each rooms. It is so nice to have my family with me this time. There were a total of 16 of us. We also rented the O Wanini house which is behind this one. The Menehune Hale has separate quarters for each bedroom so each family was able to have privacy with plenty of room. I love the veranda or the balcony that oversees the beach and each morning my family sat to watch the sunrise and beautiful sunset. If you want a quiet and relaxing atmosphere this is the place to be. We have a 5 star time share at Princeville and honestly I would rather stay here. The beach access is convenient and just steps away. Yes, there is a camp ground next door but you would never know it. We are usually the only ones on the beach most of the time. The house has many convenience and up-to-date appliances. I consider it now my home-away-from home. This was my first stay here and I just really love it. You are surrounded by lush green vegetation and beautiful plants and flowers, banana trees and coconut trees. The house has all the convenience of water toys and well stocked towels, shampoo, 2 refrigerators---great for stocking 16 people for food and drinks! Having both houses so close allowed me to spend quality time with my family. This trip was special and this place was absolutely perfect! My children enjoyed watching the birds, geickos(excuse the spelling), frogs, crabs. If you're lucky in the early morning the low tide would expose the reef and you can enjoy watching the fish. One morning I saw an octopus hidden in one of the coves and the next day I saw 3 small more eels. The water is always shallow and great for snorkeling and swimming specially if you have very young children like mine at age 4 and 9. No rough waves to fight against. Just smooth and relaxing. My parents are in their 60's-80's. They just sat in the water edge and enjoyed the view each day.They usually don't go swimming, but they did here because the water was so calming. Menehune Hale is beautiful and so convenient and relaxing. Like I said the pictures on the internet do not do it justice. My family enjoyed their stay so much that we are coming back again next year!!! The house is made of beautiful wood, with gorgeouse tile floors. The suites are roomy and romantic. There are 2 staircases on oposite sides of the house leading to the suites upstairs with their own bathrooms. The grand suite is just outside but still connected to the house. The bathroom is unbelievable......Huge! The view of the beach is wonderful! I cannot express how greatful and beautiful this house is. My family and I just loved it! We made an excellent choice to stay here rather than a hotel. We were able to be together to spend quality time. THANK YOU GARY, and Hawaiian Beach Rentals for everything! MAHALO AND ALOHA!!!!..................Gemma.
Christopher and Gemma W., Riverbank, California, 6.10.08
- Menehune Hale is a dream rental!! I would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to stay at a gorgeous house that is private and relaxing with the most spectacular view awaiting you every morning you wake up. The house is comfortable and spacious and practical. The customer service was excellent!
Santo R., West Hollywood, CA, 3.31.08
- The best thing about this house is it's location. Anini beach is fabulous as it's calm and uncrowded, despite there being a park and campground adjacent. Now if you're a sun loving, awesome tan, surfing person, this north shore location isn't for you. On the north shore it rains. Briefly, but there will be rain, at least in January. And since it faces north you won't get a lot of sun for tanning, which suited us just fine. My family thinks Anini is the best place on the island. The house is beautiful, literally on the beach. The master suite is great, decide who in your group gets it before going or there'll be arguments, even tho all the other rooms are fine, even the rear room which is fitted for children. With so many full baths there's no waiting. The hot tub and outside shower were great after a swim. The WiFi worked great for the party member who had to keep working. What we liked best, besides just sitting on the lanai, were hikes to neat places, waterfalls, bathing ponds, etc. Get the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Doughty, it has absolutely invaluable directions. Snorkeling on Anini is very safe and easy. You'll need to search around for live coral, but it's out there and there are lots of small pretty fish. A wonderful place for kids and beginners. Chilly in January, so bring or rent a wet suit if you're not from Minnesota. The Princeville Zip line was great fun, excellent staff. It's just not long enough, you want to do it over and over. What we missed most was not being able to power hang glide. There's only one company offering this (Birds of Paradise) and of the 5 days we had available, they were booked up one day, canceled for windy conditions one day and were closed the other 3 days. So book early to leave room for rebook dates. Since they're charging about the same as helicopter rides for a vehicle that costs a fraction of a helicopter, I'm sure there will be some competition soon. We were a large group, 6 adults, so we went to Costco in Lihue and stocked up on essentials and food. Very much cheaper than the Princeville store. There's a nice BBQ pit at the house so be sure to buy charcoal. So we had few meals out, all were OK. The Blue Dolphin in Princeville is good, but the service is so non chalant you'll think you've been forgotten. We rented 2 cars at Budget in Lihue airport and were amazed at the rudeness and bad attitudes of the staff (very untypical of Hawaii). We needed a third car so got it from Avis at the Princeville airport and couldn't have been happier with the service. So try to rent from the off (Lihue) airport locations when you can. Shopping: The North shore shops are trendier, higher priced. We liked Outboard for clothing made in the Islands. Kapa'a has a great outdoor local crafts fair, right on the highway, with lots of locally made things, reasonably priced. If you need basics (fishing tackle, cheap shoes, etc.) and low end souvinirs, like for kids, the ABC store in Lihue is great. Avoid the far north shore beaches, (Ke'e, Tunnels) as they're very crowded, limited parking, and in the winter, unsafe for all but the best swimmers. We were amazed at the crowds on these beaches while our beach was virtually empty. Amazed and very happy. We'll definitely rent either the main house or the smaller house, depending on the group size, on our next trip.
Therese T., Smithville, Tx, 2.1.08
- Great house. Open layout with great view and superb deck. Would definitely stay here again.
Melanie W., Boulder, CO, 8.15.07
- Great great great house! No complaints at all. My only recommendation would be to get some type of portable A.C. for the upstairs master. Troy Dueker
Troy D., San juan capistrano, Ca, 8.9.07
- The best part about the unit I rented was it's location and space.rnrnThe best part of my trip was my wedding, which was held at this location.rnrnI would stay at this place again on my next visit. One day I will buy this house!
Amber M., Encino, CA, 7.3.07
- Lovely clean property that worked exceedingly well for our party of seven (3 families). Pictures on the website do not do this house justice.
Carmen N., Calgary, Alberta, 4.11.07
- We had a wonderful stay--it was perfect for families with small children--great beach, not too much "stuff" to worry about damaging, and we had a lovely holiday.
Janet or David S., Kailua, HI, 10.7.06
- Incedible view, large amounts of space so much to do with it. We had a wedding there, usually frowned on by the locals, but 30 people couldn't disturb the neighbors or the people in the park next door. Probably one of a kind on Kauai. You have to get used to the open air style which comes with some ants. With all its space it is hard for the cleaners to know what has and hasn't been washed so some sheets were missed and kind of musty. No worries there was a washer to take care of it.
Kristin M., Fairfax, VA, 4.29.06
- The house worked perfectly for our large family gathering, and the location on Anini Beach meant we could swim and snorkel as often as weather permitted.
Marnie F., Port Townsend, WA, 1.12.06
- From Mark Drewelow.... I think david gave you more detailed feedback
David D., Kupaa, Hi, 1.27.05