- anini vacation reviews
- The cottage was convenient to the beach. The road was dirt. Many large ruts, due to the rain. The fans were adequate. I think that due to all the heavy rains, the humidity was heavy. The chirping geckos were great fun to listen to while watching tv. It's an older cottage, but cute Hawaiian decor. Well stocked with supplies. I would recommend it.
Susan N., Camarillo, CA, 8.6.18
- We stayed here the first week of Feb. 2016. We were there with our 3 adult children (all over 30 yrs.) and our 2 1/2 year old grandson. It was one of our best vacations ever. We have always stayed in hotels when visiting Hawaii and found renting a house much more relaxing. The customer service was great and the property was very clean. The hot tub lost power on Super Bowl Sun. and we called property management that day. They had someone there on Mon. to fix it. We will definitely stay there again. Being right on the beach was so perfect when you have a toddler. Each bedroom is very private and the living spaces comfortable and roomy. We did a lot of cooking which is nice w/ a small child and there are great restaurants a short drive away in Hanalei.
Patricia H., Santa Ynez, CA, 2.14.16
- Clean, well laid out, very functional, lots of space in the house, on the lenai, below the house, and in the grass covered yard. Great view. Fun to be able to walk a few steps and be sitting on the beach. The 1.5 mile road along Anini beach is great to walk or bike. We would recommend to anyone.
John P., Ketchikan, AK, 3.24.15
- House was great! It was clean and had everything we needed. We had our 1 and 3 year old with us. House is kid friendly so long as you rent baby gate for stairs and patio. House even had a high chair and brand new in the package sponge for washing dishes. It had garbage bags, beach towels and great beach chairs. We had a few run ins with bugs...but this is to be expected anywhere in Hawaii with a beach in the front and a jungle in the back. The beach is by far the best for children and families. We were there in December and there is no deep drop offs or high surf near the shore. The owner even had fresh flowers for us when we arrived. I would definitely stay again.
Stephanie L., Las Vegas, NV, 12.12.13
- A wonderful vacation rental at a spectacular location! The house was clean and stocked with all the amenities of home. The surrounding property was well maintained and lush with tropical foliage. We spent most of our time on the large front lanai and had a beautiful view of the ocean, which is located across a quiet dirt road. All the beach supplies (chairs, towels, floaties, snorkel equip and toys) were available and in good condition. Very respectful and personable owner. We love Anini beach and would most definitely recommend this home to anyone who visits Kauai :-)
Iris S., Bellevue, WA, 5.8.13
- We had torrential rains for a week. The temps were about 65 degrees. Some form of heat would have been nice. When he sun finally came out, the island is truely a paradise.
Theodore H., Wauchula, FL, 3.11.12
- We had a wonderful time, it was a belated honeymoon for my husband and I. The setting was perfect, the cottage was private, clean, comfortable and very well stocked with the necessities, such as beach towels, kitchenware and nice appliances. We loved it and the location. We want to thank you so much for finding the cottage for us, and the time you took to make sure we had what we wanted. I have now converted my husband to staying in vacation rentals rather than hotels or condos! We will definitely call you next time we come to Hawaii. Hopefully that will be soon:) One small note, not a big deal but would be nice for future guests if the can opener could be replaced. Other than that, everything worked well and we enjoyed our time there thoroughly.
Liz H., Sandy, UT, 2.14.12
- The home was well-equipped, clean and comfortable. The area was quiet and set apart. Loved being on the beach -- calm waters, good snorkeling, great views of breaching whales. If one is looking for a remote location, this is it. No cell service and the land line at the house was unreliable. But the WIFI worked for searching online. If you'd rather stay closer to the "thick of things", like more of an urban or community setting, note that this was is well-off the beaten path; e.g., a trip for groceries was a 10-15 min drive. Nice amenities and great response from owner about what was available to us.
Rodney D., San Mateo, HI, 1.18.12
- The location was great, just steps from the ocean! Travelled with 3 family units, so the house set up was just perfect. The house is older and shows some wear, but based on the other reviews it was as we expected it to be. Oceanfront houses tend to show a lot of wear from the weather. Well stocked kitchen, nice size rooms. The lanai, and view and beach were just fabulous. we had 4 kids ranging in age from 2 to 7, and the water was calm and just perfect for them to play and swim in. We had no worries about tthem in the calm waters. We were also happily surprised by the snorkeling right outside the house. Not super colorful, but we all saw lots of variety of sealife including a variety of eels, different types of triggerfish and lots of fish we could not identify (we are not snorkeling experts, so it was just great for us!). All in all wonderful vacation in Kauai, and we would return.
Amy H., Long Valley, NJ, 8.28.11
- - What I liked best was the quiet, relatively isolated location and basically on the beach. Also the house was super clean, well cared for, and really well equipped. It was great that we even had things like water shoes and snorkel equipment to use. - The customer services I received was excellent. Vacation Rentals was very communicative beforehand. And when I called Cliff about a power outtage during our stay, he was super responsive. - The best part of my trip was everything! It was all great. - The best restaurant I found was Bouchons in Hanalei. We liked the 2nd story open window view, and the sushi was good too. - The best picture I took of us was on the Kapau (?) trail from Ke'e Beach. - I can't wait to tell all my friends that I finally had a great snorkeling experience. - My advice to someone else staying at this unit would be to be aware of the one drawback of the cottage: Due to the bed setup, it really only accomodates 3 people. It would be ideal if both rooms had Queen beds, and maybe a single trundle in one of them. - The part of my trip I would definitely recommend to other is all of it! - The best "insider tip" I received while on my trip is that I would probably prefer the North Shore -- which is true. - I didn't have time on this trip, but next trip I'm looking forward to boating up the Na Pali Coast.
Marcia Z., Los Angeles, CA, 4.25.11
- The best things about Menehune Hale were for us, the floor plan and location, location, location. For three family units (grandparents, couple with one son, and couple with two daughters) the layout of Menehune was ideal. The grandparents got their ocean view room off to the side with the gorgeous bathroom, and the other two families had separate staircases that led to our bedrooms and bathrooms at opposite ends of the house. The main living area was spacious and open to the dining and kitchen areas... and to the lanai which wrapped around the whole ocean side and included the hot tub. The location was ideal for young, first time snorkelers. The reef out from Anini Beach breaks the waves before they hit shore, providing us with very safe and large area to snorkel. The snorkeling just outside the house was perfect for first timers, probably boring for those who snorkel a lot. As you swim out towards the reef (which my 5 and 7 year olds did comfortably) you encounter more and more see creatures. We saw an abundance of fish, and octopus, several eel, urchins, etc. Just down the beach is where the sea turtles hang out.... at least in February which is when we went. My girls never wanted to leave the beach. The house was great, but definitely rough around the edges. It was clean and very well stocked (snorkel gear, boogie boards, towels, all the pots and pans, dishes, etc. you could ever want) but had many electrical appliance issues. When we arrived on a Saturday, the dishwasher was broken. The was a note that it would be repaired soon. It was replaced on Thursday. In addition, the TV blew a fuse and stopped working, the main refrigerator (there were two) didn't quite keep the ice cream frozen and the its door frame was literally hot, two lamps didn't work, and most of the fire detectors are missing. We did call about these things and the house keeper came over the next morning and replaced the TV and the lamps. The hot tub worked and we enjoyed it, but we never quite got the hang of how to adjust the temp. Also, we had to crawl under the house (literally) to switch the tub on after it would turn off. There are more light switches in this house than perhaps any I've ever encountered each with a little label telling you what it goes to. That was more humorous than anything. We enjoyed the awesome winter rain storms AND the chickens and roosters that live... well... everywhere. The bottom line regarding the place was that we would stay here again. The price was right, layout perfect for three families units, and location perfect for kids. My main suggestion is that the fire detectors all be replaced and the hot tub issue (ease of use) be addressed.
Jodie P., Langley, WA, 2.28.11
- We had a delightful time. The customer service was excellent, especially when I was trying to find the cottage at night (pitch black, with no lights on)! The setting was very nice, except for the neighbors to the right - a little loud and not such a good view. We loved the fish market (Dolphin) in Hanalei, and enjoyed great meals at Bar Acuda and Mediterranean Grill. Also, the fish market in Kalieau was amazing. The Banana Fruit stand nearby on 56 had beautiful fruit. Also, the Farmer's Market on Tues in Hanalei was great. We also highly recommend Jack Harter helicopter rides (Hughes 500 with no doors). Ben was our pilot, and he was excellent. We will be back, and hope to kayak down the Waileua River next time.
Suzanne H., Louisville, KY, 2.14.11
- 1. Location, location, location 2. Service was good 3. Best part of my trip was location of home 4. The best restaurant was Lemongrass 5. The best picture was as the cave by Napali climbing vines 6. Mesquito spray
Diana P., Pinon Hills, Ca, 10.12.10
- the privacy of each room and location to the beach. Postcards in Hanalei. all of us at the house the weather was great and how much we love Kauai Catamaran Kahanu Na Pali snorkeling trip. the wonderful farmer's markets in north shore. going kayaking.
Janet C., Graton, California, 9.22.10
- The location was PERFECT!!! It isn't an extremely fancy house which is what we loved. We felt extremely comfortable and could really relax and enjoy the house. And since the water at that beach is surrounded by so much coral there are no waves. It is the perfect place for kids to play and you do not worry about them at all. The North Shore is amazing and the house is a perfect location to Princeville and Hanalie Bay. Zip lining at Princeville Ranch was probably the coolest thing we have ever done and the views were spectacular. We all plan to rent this house again in the future and would recommend it to anyone.
Nikki T., Fremont, CA, 9.8.10
- The location is great. The front lanai facing the ocean is a real bonus.
Suzanne T., Orinda, CA, 8.26.10
- The location, right at the end of Anini Road, was perfect.....quiet, except for the roosters and the surf, but not totally isolated. A beautiful deck for reading, eating, observing the ocean. This house was well maintained and well equipped. We did not eat in restaurants. One of the joys was finding our own food and preparing it. Tangerines and grapefruits are right there on trees in the garden. We did not try to catch the chickens but bought ahi and chicken from local stores. The farmers' market on Thursday afternoon at Wailea yielded beans, tomatoes, avocados, carrots, and a variety of salad greens. I certainly plan to recommend this unit (and others in this location) to my family and friends. There was no service for our cellphones, but the wireless internet worked perfectly and kept us linked to the world when we wanted to be.
Dorothy D., St. Louis, MO, 1.30.10
- The Menehune Hale met and exceeded our expectations. Spacious rooms, privacy and togetherness space both, were great. The thoughtful amenities provided, including lots of beach towels and beach play equipment were especially useful. I would recommend to those who don't want to be awakened by roosters before dawn to bring earplugs! I also recommend getting instructions on how to operate the jacuzzi/hot tub. Be sure to visit Tahiti Nui's in Hannalei for delicious food (even though it doesn't look much like a restaurant) as well as live music that is a pleasure to relax to. I look forward to returning someday, and have already recommended this great place to several friends.
Mary W., Washington, DC, 9.12.09
- We loved our stay at Menehune Hale on Anini Beach. The location of the house is wonderful. Very peaceful and calm. The North Shore area is definitely the best place to stay, and it was wonderful to have such amazing ocean views from the house. We enjoyed many beaches in the area. Ke'e beach was one of our favorites. We loved North Shore Charters for the Napili Coast tour. The Tubing from Kauai backcountry was a great family adventure. Hanalei is the most wonderful town. We ate terrific meals there at Postcards, Kalypso, Dolphin, Hanalei Gourmet, and Wake up Hanalei. We loved the Lighthouse Bistro and the ice cream shop up there!! For others who stay in Menehune Hale, the house is not in pristine condition...many things are worn out. It is the location that is so great. My advice to others is stay on the North Shore!! Driving all over the island isn't worth it when all the best things are right out your back door!
Jane W., Carlsbad, CA, 7.9.09
- We stayed at Nakea Home for two weeks. The weather was great for the first week and the second it rained. Normally this would be a problem but in Kauai there is always somewhere sunny to go! Everything at the house was great....the view, the set up, proximity to services and activities. Our favorite place is Hanalei, and every other beach we found! Sunsets at Ke'e beach are amazing! Waimea Canyon was well worth the drive.....it was all terrific...and very friendly people! When we return we are going to do more hiking and go at a different time of year....spring or fall. Kauai is beautiful! I don't have anything bad to say about it. It lacks the overall commercialism the Big Island has but it still has everything we needed and more. Mahalo to the wonderful hosts of the home! They are truly fantastic people and answered every little question we had about the area!
Jodie C., Calgary, AB, 2.26.09
- I will write more on the house for that review but my parents were very happy with every thing! As we were!!
Jodie C., Calgary, AB, 2.26.09
- We had a tremendous vacation in Kaui. The location of our unit was spectacular. Having the beach at your door was the key for us. We had no problems with our unit during our stay. If the weather is sketchy on this end of the island, hop in your car and head down to Waimea, we always found it sunny. A supply of citronella candles and bug spray is reccomended. The mosquito's are persistent on the lanai. Try the Tahiti Nui in Hanalei for great pizza and live music. A guest register would be a good idea to have available at the rental, it would give visitors a head start during their stay on where to shop and visit. Mahalo, Scott MacMillan
Scott M., Westbank, B.C., 2.9.09
- The Menehune Hale far exceeded my expectations. Believe me the pictures do not really express the granduer and beauty of this place. This house is very grand! I truly love the privacy with each rooms. It is so nice to have my family with me this time. There were a total of 16 of us. We also rented the O Wanini house which is behind this one. The Menehune Hale has separate quarters for each bedroom so each family was able to have privacy with plenty of room. I love the veranda or the balcony that oversees the beach and each morning my family sat to watch the sunrise and beautiful sunset. If you want a quiet and relaxing atmosphere this is the place to be. We have a 5 star time share at Princeville and honestly I would rather stay here. The beach access is convenient and just steps away. Yes, there is a camp ground next door but you would never know it. We are usually the only ones on the beach most of the time. The house has many convenience and up-to-date appliances. I consider it now my home-away-from home. This was my first stay here and I just really love it. You are surrounded by lush green vegetation and beautiful plants and flowers, banana trees and coconut trees. The house has all the convenience of water toys and well stocked towels, shampoo, 2 refrigerators---great for stocking 16 people for food and drinks! Having both houses so close allowed me to spend quality time with my family. This trip was special and this place was absolutely perfect! My children enjoyed watching the birds, geickos(excuse the spelling), frogs, crabs. If you're lucky in the early morning the low tide would expose the reef and you can enjoy watching the fish. One morning I saw an octopus hidden in one of the coves and the next day I saw 3 small more eels. The water is always shallow and great for snorkeling and swimming specially if you have very young children like mine at age 4 and 9. No rough waves to fight against. Just smooth and relaxing. My parents are in their 60's-80's. They just sat in the water edge and enjoyed the view each day.They usually don't go swimming, but they did here because the water was so calming. Menehune Hale is beautiful and so convenient and relaxing. Like I said the pictures on the internet do not do it justice. My family enjoyed their stay so much that we are coming back again next year!!! The house is made of beautiful wood, with gorgeouse tile floors. The suites are roomy and romantic. There are 2 staircases on oposite sides of the house leading to the suites upstairs with their own bathrooms. The grand suite is just outside but still connected to the house. The bathroom is unbelievable......Huge! The view of the beach is wonderful! I cannot express how greatful and beautiful this house is. My family and I just loved it! We made an excellent choice to stay here rather than a hotel. We were able to be together to spend quality time. THANK YOU GARY, and Hawaiian Beach Rentals for everything! MAHALO AND ALOHA!!!!..................Gemma.
Christopher and Gemma W., Riverbank, California, 6.10.08
- Menehune Hale is a dream rental!! I would highly recommend it to anyone wishing to stay at a gorgeous house that is private and relaxing with the most spectacular view awaiting you every morning you wake up. The house is comfortable and spacious and practical. The customer service was excellent!
Santo R., West Hollywood, CA, 3.31.08
- Nakea Cottage was a beautiful place to stay! Beach was excellent as well. The view from every aspect was beautiful! Ocean front view - jungle mountian views surrounding. Rain didn't stop us one bit! Had fast 'fixit' service from the owner when the coffee maker went out - truely a good time. Only thing I would recommend is mosquito's are hungry - bring lots of repellent!
Cindy Y., Tehachapi, CA, 2.10.08
- The best thing about this house is it's location. Anini beach is fabulous as it's calm and uncrowded, despite there being a park and campground adjacent. Now if you're a sun loving, awesome tan, surfing person, this north shore location isn't for you. On the north shore it rains. Briefly, but there will be rain, at least in January. And since it faces north you won't get a lot of sun for tanning, which suited us just fine. My family thinks Anini is the best place on the island. The house is beautiful, literally on the beach. The master suite is great, decide who in your group gets it before going or there'll be arguments, even tho all the other rooms are fine, even the rear room which is fitted for children. With so many full baths there's no waiting. The hot tub and outside shower were great after a swim. The WiFi worked great for the party member who had to keep working. What we liked best, besides just sitting on the lanai, were hikes to neat places, waterfalls, bathing ponds, etc. Get the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Doughty, it has absolutely invaluable directions. Snorkeling on Anini is very safe and easy. You'll need to search around for live coral, but it's out there and there are lots of small pretty fish. A wonderful place for kids and beginners. Chilly in January, so bring or rent a wet suit if you're not from Minnesota. The Princeville Zip line was great fun, excellent staff. It's just not long enough, you want to do it over and over. What we missed most was not being able to power hang glide. There's only one company offering this (Birds of Paradise) and of the 5 days we had available, they were booked up one day, canceled for windy conditions one day and were closed the other 3 days. So book early to leave room for rebook dates. Since they're charging about the same as helicopter rides for a vehicle that costs a fraction of a helicopter, I'm sure there will be some competition soon. We were a large group, 6 adults, so we went to Costco in Lihue and stocked up on essentials and food. Very much cheaper than the Princeville store. There's a nice BBQ pit at the house so be sure to buy charcoal. So we had few meals out, all were OK. The Blue Dolphin in Princeville is good, but the service is so non chalant you'll think you've been forgotten. We rented 2 cars at Budget in Lihue airport and were amazed at the rudeness and bad attitudes of the staff (very untypical of Hawaii). We needed a third car so got it from Avis at the Princeville airport and couldn't have been happier with the service. So try to rent from the off (Lihue) airport locations when you can. Shopping: The North shore shops are trendier, higher priced. We liked Outboard for clothing made in the Islands. Kapa'a has a great outdoor local crafts fair, right on the highway, with lots of locally made things, reasonably priced. If you need basics (fishing tackle, cheap shoes, etc.) and low end souvinirs, like for kids, the ABC store in Lihue is great. Avoid the far north shore beaches, (Ke'e, Tunnels) as they're very crowded, limited parking, and in the winter, unsafe for all but the best swimmers. We were amazed at the crowds on these beaches while our beach was virtually empty. Amazed and very happy. We'll definitely rent either the main house or the smaller house, depending on the group size, on our next trip.
Therese T., Smithville, Tx, 2.1.08
- We love Anini beach. The Nakea home was a comfortable well equipped home. We enjoyed watching the whales and dolphins from the front deck. The snorkling was fun also. We saw many sea turtles, beautiul fish, morey eels and an eagle ray. This year we went to the Smith family luau and it was fabulous. We always hike the Napali coast and it is always beautiful. All and all a very memorable trip. I would also like to mention that this is the second time we have booked through your service and both times the service was very hospitable. Mahalo, Karen Gardner
Karen G., Westford, Ma, 1.14.08
- The rental location was fantastic. The neighbors were very nice and the owner was very nice. The rental was in fair condition. When we got there we had to re wash the sheets and linens, even had to wash the pillows as they smelled quite mildewed. Found quite a few cobwebs and spiderwebs throughout the residence. All in all we were pleased with the rental. We would suggest updating the linens and bedding as they seem old. Our neighbors had the same complaints about their rental (same owner). The snorkeling rith out front was excellent. We swam with 3 sea turtles and saw lots of sea life. The Olympic Cafe restaurant in kapa'a is the best restaurant on the island. The food is reasonably priced and there is lots of it, huge portions and very flavorful.
Gina R., Chandler, AZ, 10.15.07
- Our Vacation was wonderful, the Nakea family really knows how to make people feel welcome. We had everything we could have possibly imagined to have, and it was very nice and easy. The place was incredible, and the house perfect. The only tip I have is to take a good bug spray as the mosquitos came around every night. Otherwise we felt as if the whole place for us... I recomend it to everyone with small children as the beach is the best I have ever been to with my kids. Best snorkeling, best fishing, best swimming with or without little ones, lots of shade, and sand...I really hope to go back soon.
Carla G., Glendale, Arizona, 8.15.07
- Great house. Open layout with great view and superb deck. Would definitely stay here again.
Melanie W., Boulder, CO, 8.15.07
- Great great great house! No complaints at all. My only recommendation would be to get some type of portable A.C. for the upstairs master. Troy Dueker
Troy D., San juan capistrano, Ca, 8.9.07
- The best part about the unit I rented was it's location and space.rnrnThe best part of my trip was my wedding, which was held at this location.rnrnI would stay at this place again on my next visit. One day I will buy this house!
Amber M., Encino, CA, 7.3.07
- The Cottage was very comfortable with everything we could use on hand. The customer service was excellent at all time. Mahalo to Laurel Kenney for her expertise and help. Our entire trip was excellent. Accomodations, area, scenery, Island etc... Our only advice would be for the owners to put in toilet paper holders and towel hangers in bathrooms. Otherwise everything else was perfect.
Tim S., Tempe, AZ, 6.26.07
- The Nakea Hosue provided just the kind of atmosphere we needed for a restful stay on the Island. The house was well-furnished and provided the private space that we needed for a pleasant stay. Thank you
Richard G., Berkeley, CA, 6.19.07
- Location. service was great. Best part of trip was getting up and walking to the lanai to be greeted by the ocean.
Joyce M., Santa monica, California, 5.18.07
- Lovely clean property that worked exceedingly well for our party of seven (3 families). Pictures on the website do not do this house justice.
Carmen N., Calgary, Alberta, 4.11.07
- We had a wonderful time. The cottage was stocked with everything we needed to cook and prepare meals with the food we purchased. We were pleasantly surprised to find lawn chairs, beach mats, and even boggie boards and swim fins. The owner and his wife & daughter have thought of everthing. We will come back to this cottage as it was truly paradise.
John B., Citrus Heights, CA, 11.18.06
- If you are looking for a very traditional stay on Kauai and absolutely comfortable and relaxing location and home, this is it!!! We personally met the owner and his wife and they are fantastic and hospitable people and we do plan to return to this home for our next Hawaii vacation!!! Mahalo!!!!!
Stan Y., Elverta, CA, 11.12.06
- The house was in a good location and had some nice extra's. When we had trouble with the dryer the owner came over right away and fixed it. An improvement that would make us come back is a more comfortable and bigger bed (king size would be nice). Also having a toilet paper roll holder and a towel rack would be nice.
Michele B., Chicago Park, CA, 10.22.06
- We had a wonderful stay--it was perfect for families with small children--great beach, not too much "stuff" to worry about damaging, and we had a lovely holiday.
Janet or David S., Kailua, HI, 10.7.06
- Incedible view, large amounts of space so much to do with it. We had a wedding there, usually frowned on by the locals, but 30 people couldn't disturb the neighbors or the people in the park next door. Probably one of a kind on Kauai. You have to get used to the open air style which comes with some ants. With all its space it is hard for the cleaners to know what has and hasn't been washed so some sheets were missed and kind of musty. No worries there was a washer to take care of it.
Kristin M., Fairfax, VA, 4.29.06
- The house worked perfectly for our large family gathering, and the location on Anini Beach meant we could swim and snorkel as often as weather permitted.
Marnie F., Port Townsend, WA, 1.12.06
- From Mark Drewelow.... I think david gave you more detailed feedback
David D., Kupaa, Hi, 1.27.05