- lanikai vacation reviews
- Everything superb! Clean, lovely, comfortable, fantastic ocean front. Ocean breeze coming in while sitting on the ocean front chaise lounges in the afternoons with aqua colored water and views was heavenly. Negative, but minor surprises for me was that the ocean entry from the property was not practical because of great amount of rocks and lack of sand. However, sand entry from public entrance was one house down and so just a few feet away. I had wished there would have been an air conditioner in main room on a couple occasions. Fans, bedroom air conditioners and opening walls (those under large front windows) really helped keep it cool, however. Low down oven door easily flops to floor and hit one person's foot.
Donna M., Walla Walla, WA, 7.3.19
- A great time had by all. The house is gorgeous and well appointed. Family and friends enjoyed themselves.
Iwalani S., San Marcos, CA, 9.28.16
- Lanikai Beach Bungalow is one of the best places I have stayed on the island. Customer service was outstanding. Great location to walk to town and beaches or to get away from it all. The best part of this trip was the morning swim and then coffee with my friends, tue honu, and the Mokes. I will definitely rent with Aloha Beachfront rentals again.
Shana B., Richmond, CA, 7.26.16
- This property is the best property we have rented from all of the properties rented in the past. It was perfect. Great location, the kitchen had all the supplies we needed to cook at home, all of the amenities were there and the pool and outdoor area was spectacular. We will most certainly be back.
John B., 6.14.16
- Such a lovely place to stay. Being right beside the ocean was just perfect. There is plenty of room to move both inside and outside the house - and it was fabulous that we could open all of the large doors and hear the ocean and feel the breeze throughout the house! Thank you so much for such a wonderful stay!
Amanda S., Hornsby, 5.31.16
- Where do I start? We did not have access to a review of the property when we rented so I was anxious about the property before we got there. We were very impressed by the property when we got there. we called the propery manager from the airport who gave us instructions on how to get in. The property manager met us within a few minutes but not before we got a ticket for parking on the road in front of the property as parking is very restricted in the neighbourhood. The house and grounds with the large pool in the yard were very clean. Everything is tastefully decorated. The beds are very comfortable and two of the bedrooms are air conditioned. The most awesome aspect of the property is the open covered lanai between the three buildings with one of the dinning areas, day beds and a large screen tv all overlooking the large pool. In the evenings the pool and garden are lit up making a magical view. The kitchen was very well equipped and the beds were very comfortable with high end bedding. If we did not want to hang out at the pool the beach was across the street and down a short lane way. Lanika beach is a pleasant half an hour stroll down to the end of the beach to the rocks that was not crowded even over a busy Easter weekend. It is rated one of the best beaches on Oahu for a good reason. We travelled to other beaches and did not find its equal. shopping is close in Kailua with all the usual grocery stores and shops. We can recommend Bookends as a great bookstore with awesome customer service! The short falls were that we are from a quiet part of the world so ear plugs were needed some nights due to neighbour noise and there are no curtains so I needed my eye patches as the sun is up at 6:00 am and we did not want to be. The best part was the pool in the backyard and being across the road from the beach a great location for ohau We would totally rent this propery again. It is a beautiful property that suited our family of four with two teenagers but would equally suit three couples.
Irena E., Calgary, AB, 3.30.16
- Kepola (and her husband) were very attentive to our needs and made sure our visit to Lanikai was wonderful. The house is right on the water, and we were able to swim right out back when it wasn't high tide. There are rocks in the water but we wore "water shoes" and they worked fine. The house is not updated but is a good house for the beach area because you don't have to worry as much about being in wet bathing suits or dragging some sand into the house. It had all we needed for supplies in the kitchen and beach toys and towels. The pool is also a really nice amenity, although we swam in the ocean more of the time. We cooked in most nights and enjoyed the expansive view of the ocean. Kepola's husband even provided kayaks for us, right to the door (for an additional fee). Access to the beach is a few houses down the road, but very easy to get to. We even had my 92 year old mother-in-law with us and she uses a walker and got around the house just fine. One bedroom and bathroom have separate entrances from the main part of the house, but our son stayed in that room. We would definitely rent the house again, and it rained almost everyday while we were there!
Anne L., Centennial, CO, 1.31.16
- The property was perfect for our family! The fences around the pool and sea wall made it safe for the young one, and Shane the property manager was so friendly and helpful. Bronson the agent helped us find this wonderful property, and we didn't want to leave! The sounds of the waves, swimming at Lanakai and Kailua beach, mountain and ocean views...perfect! The Moya family Bar Harbor , Maine
Frank M., Bar Harbor, ME, 1.16.16
- Loved the location! Sitting out and watching the waves and being able to see the Mokes and Flat Island is great. We could paddle out directly from the house to Flat Island. Traffic in Lanikai is getting bad, which makes leaving the house in late afternoon tricky. Recommend renting bicycles. Beach chairs/boogie boards/grill, etc. were great House had a lot of space. Property Manager was very attentive to any problem. We didn't have hot water in 2 showers and it was remedied within a day or 2. Kitchen could use a little updating, dishwasher was functional, but just barely. Need to have recycling can inside house. Would love to see a guest notebook giving house helpful hints about garbage/recycling/plumbing issues, etc. Also a place where guests can write their own experiences and recommendations. We will be back again! Thanks so much!
Carrie R., Greenwood Village, CO, 1.10.16
- This is an exquisite house and land setting. The perimeter is very secure and you easily enter a relaxing and beautiful home and outdoor area. The living area is a wonderful mix of fine interior, outdoor covered patio, pool and the backyard area. The art is lovely and island appropriate. We spent most of our time inside the compound as the outside of Lani Kai is very busy... especially with President Obama in town!! Nevertheless, Lani Kai's magical beach is a few steps away across the street. We were glad NOT to be staying right on the beach. Would love to return to this restful and luxurious spot in the future.
Steve R., Seattle, WA, 1.4.16
- Great place for a family getaway! We love bed the ocean breezes, short walk to the beach & pool! The place was well equipped for cooking as well as beach and pool gear. We would definitely stay again!
Jill M., Forest Hill, MD, 8.17.15
- Loved staying here. There's nothing better than falling asleep and waking up to the ocean breeze and the sound of waves. We saw turtles swimming every day. We will definitely come back!
Glenda S., Sydney, 5.11.15
- Hale Maluia was even more beautiful when we arrived! The lawn near the pool was bigger than anticipated and the privacy was perfection. The house really had everything we needed...can't wait to go back!!
Holley D., Vancouver, WA, 4.28.15
- Very nice. Clean, quiet, Amazing views. Only criticism: couldn't find a sponge or scrub brush for cleaning up in the kitchen.
Andrew M., New York, NY, 3.23.15
- This was one of the most amazing beach houses we have stayed at. Only suggestion would be to have a throw to put over the white couches. I covered them so the kids wouldn't get them dirty. It was extremely well equipped with everything you need for the beach. Steven was wonderful. I would definatly rent it again.
Valerie M., Mesa, AZ, 3.21.15
- Firstly overall the house is perfect if you have older children and generations of families or more than one family staying together - the main house has one large bedroom and bath. the other rooms are outside and so give great opportunity for private space. There are a lot of options for other private or communal space with seating areas so everyone can be together without feeling on top of each other. The location is fabulous - we have stayed in Lanikai and Kailua on several occasions - normally we have a lot of peace and quiet - Christmas week was very different - traffic into and out of Lanikai was terrible and it took a long time to get in and out - volume of traffic and the President being in town probably were the contributing factors. As with any rental there are things we would have liked to have seen differently. We were not met at the property which was surprising so it took a while for us to locate things and figure out a few hitches (no hot water/leaking bath tub etc). However the agent was helpful over the phone and someone did fix things promptly. Pool was incredibly cold and was not usable - although very clean! we understand this is the winter months but you just couldn't get close to using it. Not enough Towels in the property - we did wash them every couple of days but would have been nice to have some extras. Bedding in the room with the twin beds was worn and the elastic gone - couldn't keep it on the mattress overnight. I would rent the house again - the layout and location made it spectacular.
Karen M., Pleasanton, CA, 1.4.15
- This is our family's third consecutive stay at Hale Maluhia. We have had three great summer vacations there.
Vanessa C., 7.31.14
- Hello, The house was really beautiful and well equipt. It was comfortable and had everything we needed. I thought the showers could have been updated to new taps & it would have been handy to have a layout of the house as the bedrooms are very spread out. we were travelling with our 2 year old son. we couldn't have him in his own room because it was too far away from ours so if he woke in the night we wouldn't have heard him. For this reason he slept in our room and it wasn't ideal. Other than that the location, house, everything was great. Weather was disappointing as it was super windy the whole time we hardly went to the beach. Thanks so much.
Deborah S., Avalon, 4.21.14
- Loved the bungalow! It was amazing being right on the water watching sea turtles feeding right out front. Also nice to have just a short walk to Lanikai (the beach access is about 8 houses away) and 5-10 minutes to Kailua. We were able to launch our paddleboard from the house at low tide. The bungalow is an older, character home with amazing sliding doors that open the inside to the outside. It was very spacious, much more than the photos suggest. The VRA team was great on check in and check out. The dishes and amenities are adequate but not "high end". There were loads of sand toys, boogie boards, snorkles, masks, etc. The house had everything we needed for a great family vacation.
Elizabeth R., Vancouver, BC, 4.10.14
- We love coming to Hale Maluhia for our yearly Hawaiian vacation with our family! This year, we did have a few problems with the house, which are worth mentioning. The beds in the room next to the laundry room needs a few repairs: the towel rack broke away from the wall, the outdoor light fixture fell and brokein a storm, and our children complained that the beds were not comfortable. Additionally, the inside bedroom bed is very uneven and really should be replaced (for the cost of this house, a bad sleep is not ok). We would like to continue renting this house every year, but we find it difficult to assign rooms to our children or our friends, knowing that the beds are not comfortable. Other than the beds, the house is wonderful, and clean and our preferred vacation spot!
Julie F., Seattle, WA, 3.31.14
- This is a fantastic spot. Accommodation is quite basic, but more than adequate. We absolutely loved the time we spent at Honu Hale. I would return in a second.
Francie C., New Haven, VT, 3.21.14
- It was great. We loved the location the look. Everything was great. I give it a 5
Anna L., Pomona, KS, 3.11.14
- Best views ever. Everything about this home and location was terrific. Would and will recommend to family and friends.
- We loved the place and it exceeded our expectation. The place is awesome and great for a family vacation, all details are well thought off and it's very comfortable and we'll be back there.
Zohar Z., Malibu, CA, 1.12.14
- We enjoyed our vacation and this home. Being oceanfront was an amazing experience. We were able to view sightings of sea turtles right from the beachside deck, enjoy the morning sunrises, and launch kayaks from here. Location is just beautifull and we had lots of privacy. We were very happy with our rental and would recommend this home to others. Guest services were really great to work. Thank you for helping us make our vacation a success.
Garth S., Stanford, CA, 8.31.13
- My apologies for the late review but we've been traveling ever since. The Lanikai Beach Bungalow made our vacation to Oahu just amazing. Being able to wake up in the morning to the sunrises right there with the Mokulua Islands in view was just breath taking. We loved the home and the layout and most of all the privacy we had from the oceanside lawn. Thanks again for making out stay a wonderful time. We look forward to coming back and will difinitely let u know.
- This beach house is a dream! Love, love love this place. Great location in a very nice neighborhood. My husband and I along with some friends stayed at this house for 5 days and we all never wanted to leave. It's a very warm and cozy place. Not the most modern in terms of looks but has a whole lot of flavor to it. It also has pretty much everything you need. The lady who checked us in was very accommodating and she sure made us feel right at home. If you are looking for a home away from home, this is it!
Alexa S., Alexandria, VA, 6.26.13
- I could not have asked for a better vacation home! The house comes with all the amenities needed, so all that was necessary was a trip to the market to stock the fridge! I was also provided with a list of restaurants, shops, markets, etc. for everything else, so there was no need to look up places to eat or where to rent kayaks! The location was perfect. Watching the sunrise and hearing the ocean waves splash against the lapping wall while I had morning tea was a nice way to start the day! The house literally sits on the oceanfront and enjoyed walking alongside the beach right from the backyard. The water and views are absolutely beautiful! There really was no need to leave the house when you have the best views in Hawaii! Thank you for the amazing service! I was greeted at the house and was provided everything I needed. Any questions were taken care of immediately after a phone call or text. They made sure I had the best possible experience during our stay. Many thanks to the agency and Hawaii for the perfect home... Definitely would love to be a guest again! Aloha & Mahalo!
Annie O., Rochester, NY, 3.26.13
- The house was a very comfortable, lovely home and our service was excellent. The house was clean, however there are a few things that should be taken care of in the master bedroom/bathroom: ants (or some kind of bug) in the master bathroom, saggy mattress in the master bedroom, and sticky bedroom door (hard to open). Other than these items, we were very happy with the rental. Mahalo!
Julie F., Seattle, WA, 2.17.13
- The overall quality of the rental was excellent and we'd love to go back. The property is well maintained, spacious and clean. The interior is older (some of the nearby houses looked more modern), but the furniture is contemporary and the space functions really well. The communal spaces provide a lot of opportunity to relax, enjoy the weather and one another's company. The outdoor spaces made it easy to hit the beach, go kayaking or snorkeling. We were traveling with an infant and found the space ideal for a multi-generational trip (grandparents, adults and kids). The beds/mattresses were suitable for a good night's rest, but not luxurious. The kitchen is well maintained and had all the pots, pans and dinnerware we needed to prepare meals. The barbecue was a nice touch. The bathrooms were fine. The booking agent/property manager was outstanding. They made arrangements for our kayak and long board rentals, which greatly simplified the trip. They had a high chair and infant bed (pack and play) ready for us on arrival. There were a few small maintenance items (dead batteries, light bulbs, broken toaster) that they took care of right away. Most of our maintenance problems were electrical, which I imagine is a consequence of being at an oceanfront property where the salt, water and electrons don't mix very well (I suspect you'd have the same problems at any oceanfront house). But the property manager seemed on top of things and got things corrected the same day. The house had all the beach gear you'd need to enjoy the trip (chairs, umbrella, towels, straw mats, snorkels, sand toys). It was really well appointed. Beach access is approximately a 5 min walk along the street. At low tide, there was a rocky beach in front of the house and you could potentially walk to the main Lanaki beach via the oceanfront. We were able to put the kayaks in from the back yard. I would definitely recommend Aloha Beach Rentals and this property to anyone seeking a relaxing time in Hawaii. If you want over the top luxury, this isn't the house. But it's perfect for a family looking to spend some quality time in Kailua / Lanakai.
Tom S., Iowa City, IA, 1.7.13
- Everything was absolutely amazing! From the moment we arrived, the staff was very helpful and polite. The house was a perfect location with hardly any foot traffic along the beach in the back yard. We swam with the turtles everyday! The best family vacation spot! We are coming back next year! It was great!
Vanessa B., Santa Clarita, CA, 10.15.12
- Great location! Friendly owners that were helpful. Amenities were dated.
Melissa B., Portland, OR, 9.13.12
- We had a fantastic time here - great location, with the sea (and green turtles) just outside, a short walk to either Lanikai or Kailua beaches... and coffee at the Market, and a short drive to Kailua town. The beach-style house is large, clean and comfortable. We appreacited the service and tips from the owner (eg suggestions on a good hike nearby and renting kyaks). Strongly recommended!
Marion B., Camperdown, 7.21.12
- We had a terrific stay in Lanikai. The bungalow was charming and the location is the best. The customer service was fantastic and I would stay there again the next time i am lucky enough to visit Oahu.
Mary L., New York, NY, 5.15.12
- Best place to be. Nice beautiful house. Awesome caretaker who accommodates all your needs. So worth it, and we loved everything about it.
Kehau M., Kailua, HI, 4.26.12
- we rentet the Lanikai Beach Bungalow for 11 days. the house was very old, but newly paintet. the whole house was very "used" and the kitchen was too old and we had to call for extra forks, knives and glasses.There were not enough for 8 people!!! . The room with 2 beds was not good. The bathroom was awful, the door could not close. All the windows in all the house alowed the wind to come in!! and it was very, very windy!! We were promised a beach in front of the house. That did not exsist! We had to walk to the big beach, and the reason for why we choose this house was the beach in front, as we had invited our grandsons along, as well as our daughters and son-in-law. The costumer service, we recieved was good but we had to call several times for toiletpaper and we were asked, if we could tidy the house, so people could come see it, as it is for sale!! We refused, of course!! We think if was expensive enough, and it was our vacation, and we did not want to tidy up for that reason. The house is for 8 persons, but there is only 2 beach-chairs, and one was broken! the beach-gear was very old and very used. There was no kajak, so we could go to the islands in front of the house. Last year we rentet an apartment, also in Mokulua Drive, and there was everything, we could use, also bicycles!! The best about the house was the placement, just at oceanfront, and the turtels. The garden was good for the children, and it was closed. Especially our family was not pleased with the house. We had expected something nicer. We think it was very expensive for such an old house, worn out!! No, we will not come back, even if the surroundings are beautiful, and we all love Hawaii so much. We will come back to Hawaii, even if it is a very long trip all the way from Denmark, but we will expect something better for that high price. We could easily have staryed in a 5-star hotel inWaikiki for the same price!! Best regards from us inDenmark, Hanne Andersen
Hanne A., Copenhagen, 2.27.12
- This is a comfortable home offering incredible oceanfront views in a quiet but charming neighborhood. The location and conveniences of a private residence cannot be compared to any other accommodation. We were very pleased and hope to return again in the future. The host was super congenial and helpful. A very nice and unexpected perk was the Pillbox hike to breathtaking views just up the road, rivaling Diamondhead. Also, Kailua Beach Park is a short walk or run and the towncenter a short drive for all the conveniences of coffee, quaint boutiques, ice cream, and fantastic pancakes at Cinnamon's. Waking up to watch the sun rise over the ocean while drinking hot coffee is something all vacationers to Hawaii should have the pleasure of experiencing. We used a rented kayak and paddleboard and also snorkeled right down the steps leading to the beach from our backyard.
Sarah T., Hardin, MT, 1.26.12
- My family of 7 had a wonderful time in our beach house. The location was fabulous, and it was so homey that you felt it truly was your home. We had wonderful meals in town (Kailua) . . . Best was Baci Bistro -- wonderful Italian!! And best breakfast was at Cinnamons. The only "minuses" were the constant wind, which I guess you need to expect on the "windward side", and also we never seemed to have enough hot water. But they were inconveniences we worked around and overall have only great things to say about the location, the house, and the people. Thanks Lori for checking in on us --- MAHALO!!!!
Peggy C., Pacific Palisades, CA, 12.28.11
- We loved the Lanikai Beach Bungalow! We really enjoyed the property, and were impressed with everything there it had everything that the family needed for a great holiday. The environment was fantastic (particularly the honu), seeing the moonlight on the water at night was stunning, and the design of the property is perfect for the environment. It's a shame that it all had to come to an end, and am now home!
Joy L., Richmond, Victoria, 9.16.11
- 1. We loved the 3 bedrooms and 3 baths attached. My husband loved having the AC for those humid nights. I loved the kitchen, the two common living spaces, and the large dining room table and chairs. The view!!!!!! 2. The customer service was excellent!!! Thank you. 3. The best part of our trip was the beachfront location and the view and sound of the surf right outside the door. 4. The two best restaurants that we found were Cinnamon's and Hy's. 5. The best picture that we took was playing on the beach with our grandchildren and the sea turtles. 6. This was my most relaxing vacation ever. 7. There is a sea wall and steps leading down to the surf. At high tide you cannot go into the ocean outside of the house. You have to walk down a couple of blocks to Lanikai for beach activities. 8. The Lanikai location is spectacular.
Cyndee R., Northridge, CA, 8.30.11
- Aloha! We had a fabulous trip back home to Kailua and the Lanikai Beach Bungalow was exactly what we all hoped for! It was clean, comfortable and provided the perfect "beachy" atmosphere. Our agents who helped us were simply awesome from beginning to end! We just love them! Mahalo to both of them, from the eight of us who truely left our hearts in Lanikai! We will all be back very soon!
Jamie S., Bellingham, WA, 7.25.11
- This place is paradise! It felt like home immediately, and the host family is incredibly kind and generous of their bikes, kayaks and local island knowledge. The location is ideal. Quaint and quiet street, just minutes from the most beautiful beach. The back patio area is peaceful and beautiful. We are already looking forward to going back!
Gusty S., Portland, OR, 4.3.11
- Excellent. Loved the new improvements. Hope you found the house clean and tidy as we left it and look forward to our cleaning bond being returned.
Glenn A., COFFS HARBOUR, NSW AUSTRALIA, 11.8.10
- We loved our stay in Lanikai at the Lanikai Bungalow. The beach is close by and very beautiful. The closest entry points with the "postcard perfect" long, sandy beach were only a couple of blocks up the road. Heavenly location. The surrounding garden is peaceful and charming and the interior is colorful and unique. The owner of the bungalow is on the premises and was particularly helpful. Laundry was convenient and she had lots of beach gear to share. We are avid snorkelers and thoroughly enjoyed Shark's Cove up north near Waimea. Since we were here in early July, we had smooth, calm, warm water with a very easy entry. Highlights: schools of good-sized fish, cuttlefish, Hawaiian lobsters, morays. Be sure to detour to Hale'iwa for shave ice! We became big "plate lunch" fans and especially liked "L and L" barbecues. Don't miss the frozen yogurt place in town called Yo Mama. We ate twice at Buzz's and would have gone back for our last night's dinner, but we didn't make reservations in time. Great kiave grilled seafood and steaks.
Sandy B., Santa Rosa, CA, 7.8.10
- This is an amazing home, without a doubt the best one I have ever rented. Simply but elegantly decorated, and full of all the amenities you could ask for. It is obvious that the home is well-cared for by all the details. The back of the house area is absolutely spectacular, fit for entertaining or even better, just some lovely quiet time. The location across from the beach is perfect, barely a two minute walk. I would highly recommend Hale Maluhia, and look forward to returning someday.
Kim M., Chicago, IL, 2.19.10
- The owner was very nice and made you feel like you were a freinf visiting. the location was good, I would stay here again!!! Lanikai is always a great place to stay!!!!
Dan C., Pittsburg, CA, 1.25.10
- This was a great property. I'm big on peace and quiet, and this property provided exactly that. A nearby dog barked a few times during the day on a few separate days, but never at night. And a neighbor and his friends in the gigantic property to the left woke me up cursing loudly in their yard at 7am one morning, which was weird. Other than that, it was very peaceful. The neighbor that lives behind the rental property is named Wayne (I think). He was a very nice guy. As another reviewer noted, the actual beach is a short walk away. It's about a 10 - 15 minute walk down the street to a public beach access walkway around property 1104, which brings you onto a secluded beach which was very nice. Plenty of coral for snorkeling in front of about 1/2 of the beach there, with mostly open water near the beach on the other half for swimming. Outstanding. Better than the other beaches in my opinion (unless you want to surf in waves near the beach). Also, I love to swim and you have a great place to do it right in front of the property. I loved walking down the stone steps there at the oceanfront stone wall at the end of the yard down to the ocean, where the area is great for wading and swimming. Careful, though, when going down those steps. The stone steps are a bit steep and rough on your feet, and the last couple can be a bit slippery from the high tide. Plus, the house comes equipped with some body boards, water toys, coolers and some snorkel gear. A nice touch! Also, if you have a kayak or the like, you can boat out to the two nearby small islands, one of which has a small beach on it as well. I saw people from nearby houses heading out there a lot, and wished I could have joined them. My stay was during the first week in January, and it was in the 70s and sunny almost the entire week. The full moon also luckily happened right when I got there, so I never encountered jelly fish (which show up around 9 days after a full moon) at this or any of the other beaches I visited. That was a huge plus! The water this time of year was a bit chilly, but still great once you were in it for a few minutes and got used to it. A bummer for me was how Shark's Cove up near the North Shore was supposed to be a snorkeler's paradise, but in January it's a treacherous area full of torrential waves that are not safe for anyone. Oh well, maybe next time during the summer! By the way, the fruit basket waiting for me was awesome. Thank you for that! I'm hoping they might install a dishwasher, as that was one of the only luxuries I missed not having. I knew it didn't have one when I rented, still I'm mentioning it with the hopes they might upgrade to one eventually. That aside, the kitchen is well stocked with silverware, plates, pans and dish ware. The bathrooms also have plenty of wash clothes and towels. The only big downside was the wireless router had gone bad and I couldn't salvage it, so I had to buy a new router in order to have wireless internet. So the Linksys N router is courtesy of me. I wrote up instructions for accessing the wireless network and put them in the white folder there on the table. Also, the white folder which I'm assuming is courtesy of the owner, is chock full of great info and resources for the visit. Not sure when I can make it back to Oahu, but this rental property will be high on my list for a place to stay!
James S., Richmond, KY, 1.11.10
- great stay. the dishes were not very clean when we got there, however.
Ernie C., San Mateo, CA, 9.15.09
- We loved the view. The location was great espeically since we had small kids. It was just a very relaxing place to stay. Had a great time!!
Maz M., Fairfax Station, Virginia, 10.5.08
- Stunning view of the Mokuluas! I have marked this only 4* as I was disappointed with ocean front/beach front discrepancy not being fully apparent until reading the contract. Also it is an exaggeration to say it is perfect for swimming. Access from the steps is difficult. We are all very fit and mobile, two of the party kayaked to the Mokulas and the same afternoon one of us then swam to flat island and back! Also, two of our group were badly stung by jelly fish (Portuguese Man of War). Additionally, up to 14 fishermen would apprear every day at any one time, even making use of our sea wall. The vey much appreciated tht the kitchen was very well appointed and stocked with the basics that we would not want to buy for just a week's stay. However there was no dishwasher as claimed in the particulars The bathrooms were sparkling and well stocked with towels, including those for the beach. We also apprecited the quality and scope of the yard, the furniture and the sports equipment I found Verena extremely helpful and overall we liked the property and very much enjoyed our stay in Honu Hale. Alison Rose
Alison R., Berkshire, UK, 9.18.08
- Loved it! Absolutely enchanting garden surrounding the bungalow, with patio furniture where I enjoyed breakfast and dinner most days, and a relaxing hammock for afternoon naps under the leaves of the banana tree. Owner was very kind and not invasive at all. Only complaint was the next door neighbor (at rear of property) was a very loud talker and could be heard quite easily when she was on the phone. Other than this, it was just awesome.
Burl H., Setagaya-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 6.29.08
- This is the 2nd time that we have stayed at Hale Maluhia and we are already talking about renting for a third time. This house is perfection. Its beauty, location and layout are perfect for family or friends on a vacation getaway. We consider this our Hawaiian home away from home!
Leslie P., 4.7.08
- What a beautiful place - our family had a wonderful stay there - watching sea turtles swim just in front of the house. We got up for the sunrises every morning, swam, snorkeled, kayaked and hiked. It was a perfect vacation! We look forward to our return visit.
Margaret S., Berkeley, CA, 4.5.08
- beautiful home... beatiful views of the ocean.... very good customer service.... no problems being in Lanikai Buzz's family picture taken with Mokulua Islands in background Lanikai is the best place to stay in all Hawaii
Richard N., Merced, CA, 3.31.08
- This house made our vacation awesome. It was a great location for my family and we couldn't have been happier. Very sad for us when we left
Gian C., North Begen, New Jersey, 3.12.08
- THE UNIT WAS EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN AND QUIET. THE SEA BREEZE WAS MAGNIFICENT. IT WAS PERFECT FOR 2 COUPLES AS EACH HAD THEIR OWN 'SUITE' . WE LOVED IT AND PLAN TO REQUEST IT ON OUR NEXT VISIT.
Paige J., Sacramento, CA, 2.9.08
- The house was lovely and well appointed. The location was perfect. We would definitely rent this home again.
Diane W., New York, NY, 1.6.08
- It took me back to the days when I was growing up in Lanikai. It hasn't changed that much, which is the best part. There still is a paradise in Hawaii. We had a wonderful e.xcperioence, and plan to return again.
Bob M., Guerneville, California, 10.12.07
- As you can see from the photos, the house is right up against beautiful Lanikai beach. We saw sea turtles swimming along the beach almost everyday - right from the back yard of the house! A little night fishing from the back yard rewarded us with a nice size snapper which ended up on the barbeque grill the next evening. The house is very well equipped. All you need to bring is your clothes and groceries. Kia'aina, the owner of the property, lives just across the street and was very helpful. When we called him to make a few small repairs (change light bulb, etc.) he was right on it. The Welcome Basket filled with local treats like Macademia Nut Chocolate and Kona Coffee was also a nice addition. A few reminders about the natural environment. The house faces the eastern side of the island - the windward side. Wind from the ocean is fairly strong and very consistent (it never stopped, day or night, while we were there - excellent for windsurfers.) Noise from the wind, waves (only a few yards away from the master bedroom), and the sun light from the rising sun makes for very early mornings everyday. If you're planning on sleeping in during your vacation, choose a bedroom away from the ocean. The beach is beautiful (voted best beach in the Nation!). However, always remember you are dealing with nature. Our son got stung by a Protuguese Man-of-War (a type of jelly-fish). This is VERY painfull! (I've been stung before.) The pain will go away after an hour or two, but the scare all along his arm will take a little longer to go away. (Something to show-off to his friends when he goes back to school!)
Hiroki M., Pleasanton, California, 8.22.07
- My family enjoyed a once-in-a-lifetime vacation thanks in large part to the Lanikai Beach Bungalow. Hawaiian Beach Rentals and the property manager for this rental were professional, attentive and very easy to work with. I am an experienced traveler and have dealt with many hassles in the past. There were no surprises or hurdles in this trip. We came to Kailua/Lanikai for a local friend's wedding and enjoyed being in a genuine Hawaiian town that offered many opportunities for activities, relaxing and experiencing a slower-pace to life. Lanikai is a fabulous beach and the Lanikai Beach Bungalow was a perfect pick. We loved being right on the water, seeing sea turtles, enjoying gorgeous sun rises and opening up the sliding glass walls to let in the ocean breeze. The house has a wonderful classic Hawaiian charm but is also very comfortable for 6 people. The location is unbeatable - I was concerned about the tide coming in and not having any beach directly in front of the house but it was actually an advantage. We could walk on the beach to get to the wider areas of the beach most of the time and not being on the main part of the beach meant we enjoyed privacy. Don't hassle with packing straw beach mats as there are several at the unit. If you come to Kailua/Lanikai, definitely check out the Lanikai Juice company, Cinnamon's restaurant for the carrot pancakes and body surfing on Kailua beach. The 2.5 mil loop around Lanikai makes for a great jogging route. If I had it to do all over again, I would definitely stay for 2 weeks instead of just 1!! Book your trip to the Lanikai Beach Bungalow without hesitating.
Sarah L., Broomfield, CO, 8.21.07
- I would highly recommend the Beach Bungalow. The location was awesome. The pictures don't do it justice. The ocean is steps away. The house was very clean and comfortable. The house is on the windward side of the island, so you will get wind and rain. We were there the end of June and it was a little cool to sit outside on the back deck in the evening. The house has separate AC units in the bedrooms, but they are not in the best location (noisy). I would recommend that the house be stocked with portable fans. There are ceiling fans in the rooms, but unless you had the sliding doors open the family room was a bit stuffy. I loved that the house was in a neighborhood, it really made us feel like we were living like the locals. This is not a touristy area. The locals were very friendly and helpful. I would get recommendations for restaurants, beaches and points of interest from the locals. There are not many good restaurants in Kailua, locals talk about Buzz's, but we were not impressed. Best recommendation is to stop at Costco when you leave airport and stock up on food, Safeway grocery store has a full bakery and deli. Prices seem to be 20% more than mainland. We BBQ'ed alot and enjoyed the outdoors. We absolutely enjoyed our stay. There were six of us. Our three daughters (11-17), one boy (18) and my husband and I. Plenty of room in the house and three bathrroms were helpful. The house comes with beach towels, two boogie boards, two beach chairs and umbrellas. We purchased snorkeling gear at Don Quiotis. Loved that the house had a washer and dryer. I would highly recommend the house and the area (very nice and clean). Lanikai beach is a beautiful beach. We watched turtles right off the house. If you want to swim with the turtles, we found a beach just north of Waimea Bay, not well marked, but about 4 turnouts up the road. Best diving/snorkeling was at Sharks Cove. Hanauma Bay is beautiful, but there are so many people. Very touristy. Best little town with authentic Hawaiian atmosphere is on the north shore Haleiwa. (Shaved ice, unique little shops and restaurants). Don't miss the Shrimp trucks on the way to north shore. The trucks don't seem very appealing to eat off of, but the food was good and it was fun to do it. Best bet is to get a book called Ohau Revealed (can be found at Barnes & Noble, etc.) this guy's perspective is not only amusing but pretty accurate. We called it the "Bible" and took it everywhere with us. It has maps and every point of interest imaginable. I would recommend having a daily itenary. Hit all the points of interest in each area, then you can always go back to your favorites if you have time. Hope your trip will be as enjoyable as ours.
Robin A., El Cajon, CA, 7.5.07
- We truly enjoyed our stay at the Lanikai Beach Bungalow. The view is just perfect. Having lived in Lanikai before, it is the ideal place to vacation. Kua Aina sandwich shop on the North Shore is a must, they DO have the best burgers on the island. This trip we took the Explorers Tour of the Mighty MO and that was extremely educational and was great for the kids to take in a history lesson. We hiked to the top of Diamond Head, as well as to the "Pill Boxes" in Lanikia. Both offer awesome views of the island. We had breakfast at the house every morning, slicing up fresh pinapple and other fruits...then we would plan our day. We tried to do the "busy" or "tourist" thngs at the beginning of our stay and tended to relax around the house the last couple days, that worked out great and made the trip end on a relaxing note. Ovarall, we loved the beach bungalow and would definitely stay here on our next trip.
Bret U., Raleigh, NC, 6.18.07
- What I liked best about the unit I rented was: the location The customer service I received was: excellent My advice to someone else staying at this unit would be: bring suntan lotion
Donna W., Peoria, AZ, 5.19.07
- We truly enjoyed our stay at your bungalow. We loved waking up to watch all the kitesurfers and kayakers, not to mention the hona. We couldn't have asked for a better location! The house was so comfortable, we didn't want to leave. Thanks for everything.
Abigail K., New York, NY, 4.17.07
- This is our second year at Honu Hale Lanikai. We stay with our son and his wife and baby daughter who live in Honolulu. The separate upstairs suite is perfect for us, and it is a great vacation for everyone.
Stephen W., Glendale, CA, 4.16.07
- Lanaikai Beach Bungalow was a perfect ocean getaway for my young adult family. We loved the floorplan of the house and the proximity to the ocean.
Diane S., San Antonio, TX, 11.27.06
Patricia K., Ludlow, VT, 11.27.06
- For our family reunion, the house was perfect! We loved the indoor-outdoor living and the "old Hawaii" feel with big windows on the ocean and big yard on the leeward side of the house. We spent a lot of time on the leeward lanai. One recommendation is that you wash out the trash containers that go out to the street -- stinky now. We will be back, and have already sent your phone number for this house out to several friends. Mahalo and A hui hou!
Natalie M., Kailua, HI, 9.27.06
- The house was more than we imagined or than the pictures show. It was very well appointed and decorated. To the owner: Thank you so very much for letting us share in your piece of paradise.
Caroline H., Lake Zurich, IL, 9.27.06
- Being from FL I am used to A/C through out the house, this was the only draw back, even with all the screen doors open, it was abit muggy even with the breeze. The house is in a beautiful location, very quiet... not for those who would like Waikiki! We will be back!
Cathy M., Tampa, FL, 8.16.06
- We really enjoyed our week. There is nothing fancy about the cottage, but it is clean and everything works. The view is amazing. It was a perfect vacation.
Jim Stigler C., Santa Monica, CA, 8.14.06
- Superb, relaxing, convenient location! We will come back!! Aloha, Keith and Sushe'
Keith B., Glendale, AZ, 7.27.06
- The house is clean and comfortable, has everything you need, and the view is absolutely incredible. The nearby Lanikai and Kailua beaches were wonderful. My husband, two teenage sons, and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
Mary K., Austin, TX, 7.24.06
- The week's experience was terrific. I especially liked the efficiency of hawaiianbeachrentals site and renting process.
Joseph C., Fountain Hills, AZ, 7.11.06
- very nice clean an relaxing place. i can definitely recommend it.
Christoph H., New York, NY, 6.27.06
- We spent a delightful month in the bungalow. It is modest, peaceful, and fun. There is plenty to do around Kailua, and Honolulu is just 20 minutes away.
Niki E., Morro Bay, CA, 6.10.06
- Very pleasant vacation rental experience. Location was superb, house itself was cute and sufficient.
Mel R., Orlando, FL, 6.7.06
- The views from this house are unbelievable. The house was clean, well-stocked and perfect for a group of 4. We're figuring out when to visit next.
Donald B., 5.17.06
- The view was amazing of the Mokuluas! The house was comfortable and very well stocked. The outdoor beach gear, toys and ping pong table made fun in the sun very easy!
Darcy O., Sacramento, CA, 4.7.06
- Very much enjoyed our stay. It was a rainy week but the kids played ping pong when the weather wasn't great. Very clean, and an extremely beautiful view. Mahalo!
Kathryn L., West Vancouver, BC, 3.28.06
- We had a great time and really enjoyed your bungalow. Having the beach so near was great as well. The layout of your rentals is very condusive to privacy and relaxation. Thanks for a great stay in Lanikai. Denny and Stephanie Dobson
Dennis/stephanie D., Anchorage, AK, 3.10.06
- It was a wonderful place to spend a week in paradise, We would love to come back every year.
Kim H., Sacramento, CA, 2.22.06
- A very generous place.. well-maintained, with furnishings and equipment that made it seem more than a rental-- more like a complete home. The owners obviously love this place, and love sharing it with others. Convenient to the beach, close to Kailua, and very, very relaxing.
David D., Portland, OR, 2.22.06
- What a great place! Honu Hale Lanikai is a great hide away and recommend this place for both kamaaina's and tourist. This will be my get away place when I need some peace from the outside world. Many thanks for making our stay a great one.
Jared K., Aiea, Hawaii, 10.9.05
- We had an excellent stay in The Lanikai Bungalow. Everything we hoped for was there. We had a great, quiet and peaceful time in this lovely bungalow! Especially all the gear provided which was in excellent condition we really appreciated. When we come back to Oahu (and we will) we certainly will book this bungalow again!
Jan K., 9.12.05
- The location was, of course, fantastic. Lynn was a great hostess. The layout and size of the bungalow was great, too. I would recommend it overall.
Carlen B., Corpus Christi, TX, 6.28.05
- Right on the water...very well equipped. Perfect little hideway to get quiet time in a beaufitful spot.
Michael B., Stamford, CT, 5.3.05
- Well equiped and comfortable home. Unbeatable view. Very comfortable bedding. Enclosed yard is excellent for kids. Two refridgerators! Direct ocean access is only possible during low-tide and then it is still a bit rocky. We did not mind the short walk to a sandy portion of beach when the tide was high. Gas grill was very nice. Enclosed garage was also a plus. Upon arrival, we read the property literature and discovered some great options/ammenities that could have been arranged ahead of time. We wish these options were made know to us during the booking. (Private Chef, Cable Modem, etc.)Over-all a very pleasant stay.
Scott W., Honolulu, HI, 4.16.05
- This little house was perfect for our needs. The view is spectacular, and the house accommodated us with lots of privacy for every one. We came to celebrate our daughter's wedding, most family members stayed in Waikiki, but we wanted a home away from home and so we found this little home, which was just perfect for us to hide out for some very needed R & R among the hustle and bustle of a wedding. Mahalo.
Barbara H., Crystal River, FL, 1.20.05
- Property was beautiful!!!! I would also like to send a special thank you to Peg Carey. We tried Lucy's per Peg's recommendation and we loved it. In fact my husband and I are still commenting on how good it was. Thanks a bunch Hawaiian Beach Rentals.
Jenifer B., Lake Elsinore, CA, 10.30.04