- Big Island
- Kona vacation reviews
- Everything was fantastic!!
Emmanuelle P., 9.26.16
- This house was wonderful. The way the sliding glass and screen opened up to the outside was like expanding the living area into the patio. During the day we would keep all the doors open around the living room and kitchen, it became just one BIG outdoor area. Beautiful!!! Customer service was great! They busted their butt to get us this fabulous house. I would book this house again and I highly recommend. You will not be disappointed. Everyday we would either go to the beach or site see and just enjoyed coming home to a beautiful view. You will love the sunsets here.
Clarence A M., 2.26.16
- Had a wonderful stay ... everything was just lovely. Thank you!
Margot K., La Conner, WA, 2.24.16
- We were a large group of 8 adults and 5 children. The house accommodated all of us beautifully. The grounds were well kept and the pool was great fun, although a little cloudy because the bag on the mechanism that cleans the bottom of the pool would get full of plaster that is chipping on the bottom and would be too heavy to continue doing it's job. We had to clean it out at least 3 times. Or maybe not enough chlorine being used? Starting with the first night through the fourth night a stomach bug passed through the majority of the group, sparing only 4 children an 2 adults. We thought it was very strange because we came from different parts of the country and did not all eat the same thing after we arrived. We felt it was wise to reclean all surfaces and doorknobs throughout the house. Since the house was closed up when we arrived and there was no smell of bleach, I have to wonder if they use bleach regularly when they clean the house. I'm not so sure I would recommend renting a house to my friends.
Wendy H., Camas, WA, 2.18.16
- We recently stayed at the "Collessie by the sea" and were more than pleased with the quality and cleanliness of the house. There were 5 adults and we had lots of room and felt we had our private get away with the way the house is set up. We plan on returning in the new year. The best part was late night swims in the gorgeous pool. The house is very central to shopping and restaurants and not far from the beach.
Debbie Marshal, 12.17.15
- The home was lovely, however the cleanliness had much to be desired. The floors and counters were kind of sticky. Had no problem living with our little green friends but there was poop everywhere and apparently the cockroaches out numbered them. One beds out of 5 was comfortable. We enjoyed the outdoors, the pool was great however the lounge chairs were not clean. All in all we had a Wonderful time and enjoyed great customer service. We would definitely recommend your services and the home. We are sad to be back home in the wet and cold. Thank you
Tracey C., Bremerton, WA, 12.13.15
- 5 stars!!! Extremely Private Location with an incredible view, simply outstanding. We just returned from paradise and wish we could still be there in your amazing home!! Word's cannot express how much we LOVED the home. The house is so much more than the pictures, it is beautifully decorated and very private. Needless to say we did NOT want to leave, we skipped a few beach days to just hang out by the pool. We spent most evenings on the lanai - BBQ, infinity edge pool, and beautiful sunsets every night! We had a front row seat to all of this amazing property! By far, the best equipped kitchen in any property we have EVER stayed in !!Top quality everything! Thank you!!Also, the outdoor grill and lanai were amazing. We will be coming back . . . SOON! Thank you for making our vacation the best ever!!
Mark M., 12.12.15
- Leilani Hale is a charming home in a very convenient location. Very close to shops and beach access. The views are amazing and the sunsets are priceless! The house is very comfortable. You truly feel like your in your own personal tropical retreat! The property manager is very helpful and quick to respond. I highly recommend this home for a Kona getaway!
Owner direct, 8.24.15
- Overall:3 The location of the home was great. 5 minutes from the beach & downtown, yet quiet neighborhood. The home itself was pretty good. Apparently, the maids that cleaned the house prior to our arrival loaded the outside garbages & did not take them to the street for pickup. We did call the handy-man & he took care of the garbage right away. We planned a BBQ only to find out that the propane had been left on & the bottles were empty. We had to exchange the bottle at Wal-mart. The Geckos were something to get used to running around the house, but no big deal. The kitchen/dining room area was overwhelmed with little white spiders/bugs everywhere. We kept ALL food in the fridge. Might be time for a fumigation. House was very spacious with a good floor plan. The pool could have been cleaner, but the kids did use it. Will we go back to Kona? DEFINITELY!! Will we stay at Hibiscus Hale? Probably not. Kona is an incredible place!! We truly enjoyed every minute we were there.
David F., Miles City, MT, 6.21.15
- This house was perfect for our Hawaii vacation. Our host Shannon was extremely helpful from the beginning with her detailed instructions and recommended places and activities. The house was perfectly clean and fully equipped with necessary kitchen utensils. The front porch is perfect for a cup of coffee in the morning with great ocean view. We definitely rent this house again if we ever come back to Big Island, and would highly recommend it to a friend. There's plenty of snorkeling and beach equipment in the garage. Thank you Shannon for sharing your beautiful house.
Yung T., 5.31.15
- I enjoyed my stay at this house so much. The best vacation I have ever had. The house was gorgeous. Beautiful kitchen. And having the pool was the best part. Milton was fabulous and in general the service people so helpful and friendly. Would recommend highly.
Cheryl S., Grayland, WA, 2.24.15
- Hibiscus Hale was everything we thought it would be and more. The property, home, and pool are fabulous, with a fantastic sunset every evening. The home is centrally located in town. The beds were very comfortable. We did have to make a few repairs ourselves, as one of the ceiling fans was missing a screw, resulting in a screeching noise when the fan was turned on. The balcony sliding door would not lock properly until we screwed down the latching mechanism. There was a small problem with the home on the first day, and we had to stay at a hotel, which was paid for by the home owner.
Greg A., Victoria, BC, 2.10.15
- We thought that the staff was super friendly and helpful. The location was quiet even though it was close to a busy road. It would have been nice to have an overhead fan in the unit since we are not fans of air conditioning. We think that the "Quiet Pool" needs more seating as many left because of the lack of chairs/lounges. A number of folks were not briefed on why the north pool is a quiet pool, and they obviously did not read the sign when they came through the gate.
Bill M., Qualcum Beach, BC, 4.18.14
- I loved the quiet of the Villa by the sea and the view from the lani was just as nice as it looks in the pictures. It is way up the hill so I didn't try to walk/climb anywhere. The bright Hawaiian decor is delightful.
Carol S., Lincoln, NB, 3.4.14
- Fantastic residence, extremely well equipped! Close to all shopping, highway, the beach, etc. Highly recommend!
Brian S., Las vegas, NV, 3.4.14
- My family and I stayed for one week at this lovely property. It provided us with everything we needed during our stay. It was a pleasure to return to this peaceful home, after each day of exploring the Big Island. This was far preferable to staying in the crush of the tourist areas of Kona. We will return! Gerald Parker
- This rental property was first rate and in such an excellent secure location. We will stay there again in a heartbeat. Ben Jew
- We stayed at "Villa by the Sea" for 8 days just last month. I chose this property due to its close proximity to downtown Kona thinking we could walk downtown. We ended up not ever doing that as we were always out exploring the island in our car so we just stopped downtown on our way back to the house. A fit person definitely could walk down there if they wanted although the walk back up the hill would be a good workout! Our son walked and biked downtown by himself nearly every day we were there. The house was very comfortable, clean, is well-represented in the pictures and had everything we needed. The beach chairs, boogie boards and snorkel equipment are great features! We used the cooler every day as we packed our snacks and headed out to explore the island. The view from the front lanai is awesome as it is in the pictures and the neighborhood was very quiet and felt safe... we actually slept with the doors open and screens locked each night. I enjoyed walking through the neighborhood each morning with my Kona coffee. The street is quite steep in parts and it provides an easy way to exercise if you walk down to the gates and back up a couple times. The owner was very responsive and apologetic to two extremely minor issues we had while we were there: 1) the bicycle tires were flat. So we bought a pump at Walmart and sent the owner the receipt. The reimbursement check was waiting for me when we arrived home! 2) A handle on a kitchen drawer came loose so we just left that drawer open and it's probably already been repaired. Overall, I'm very glad I chose to stay here and would absolutely stay again and recommend it to anyone! Mark Georgescu
- Excellent house with a view in a quiet gated community. The best "stocked" house of the 5 we have rented on the Big Island from kitchen to bed and bath. There was plenty of snorkel equipment but we did bring our own mask and snorkel(s). The house has a good supply of beach needs such as towels, chairs, and mats. Quiet and relaxing rear patio and the front lani was great for morning coffee and viewing the harbor and open ocean. The owners are very responsive to questions and needs. I plan to stay next year if possible Ray Mesinger
- I fully enjoyed my stay at the Hibiscus Hale. It felt like home. The house was clean and very roomy. The kitchen is very spacious and stocked with all the kitchen gadgets needed. The fridge could have been turned on, cleaned and deordorized at least a week before we arrived; the pool filter needs a little upgrade, but other than those two small detaisl everything was great. I have recommended the rental to friends. Hawaii is one of my favorite places to visit during work or play and I would be more that happy to stay at the Hibiscus Hale again, it was a comfort I looked forward to returning to after having a very busy day. Mahalo
Jovita M., La Habra, CA, 9.18.13
- The overall quality of your rental. Very good (4) Customer service : Excellent, immediate responded to all concerns. (5) Condition and cleanliness: Unit very clean, beach chairs and outdoor gear showing wear. (4) Overall satisfaction ;Very happy (4). Book the rental again? Too large for just 4 adults, Recommend for family group (4) Best part of your trip: Plenty of space, good parking, 5 minutes to town activities. (4) Anything else: Hot tub heater not functioning, awaiting parts and service. (1)
Donald D., San Rafael, CA, 3.3.13
- The house is lovely. Beautifully located, with sounds of the surf being ever present. The area around the pool is especially attractive. Hard to go wrong with this house.
Alexander A., Fairhope, AL, 2.26.13
- Hibiscus Hale was great. We loved the home and the layout. I am planning to use the main floor plan as a model for my retirement house. The weather and atmosphere was fantastic. The neighborhood was quiet, except for the wild roosters in the area that would give us a wake up call at dawn. The beds were very comfortable. We enjoyed great restaurants, beaches, snorkeling and fishing all within 15 minutes of the house. The waterfalls and the volcanoes were a day trip. If we plan to come to Hawaii again, Hibiscus Hale would be part of our plans and we would defiantly recommend the home.
Stephen B., Adrian, MI, 2.18.13
- The owner was very helpful in providing a detailed guide for guests with recommendations of activities and places to eat. The home is spacious, comfortable and well supplied. The back garden, with its water feature and night lighting is relaxing. The view of the ocean and sunset down the hill off the front deck is very nice. We would give this home over the top marks if it were literally on the beach, but in Kona, that does not happen.
Chris M., West linn, OR, 1.20.13
- We stayed as an extended family of 9 people, with 3 small children and we found the house was fabulous. We were able to have personal space when desired and yet be all together at times as well. The basement rec room was perfect for the kids with lots of games and space for them to play. We would definitely rent this house again in the future. We did find the pool lights were an issue. We saw the note left by the owners but unfortunately, following the instructions did not fix the problem. We are aware a part is on order and are sure that issue will be dealt with. Overall, we had a great trip. Thanks for the use of your wonderful home!
Lesley L., Burlington, ON, 10.23.12
- The house and the location were evevy thing that we expected. There was plenty of room for the eleven of us the enjoy ourselvers with room the spread out (plenty of beds)! The view was outstandind! The kitchen was well stacked - easy to keep clean. The washer and dryer were a great help. We cooked lots of meals. The pool did not get as much use as I expected. If You have an evening flight leaving, the 10 am checkout does not work very well - 1 PM would be very nice!
William D., Littleton, CO, 7.12.12
- This house is very nice, large and quiet. It was convenient to the area of Kailua-Kona andwas comfortable. The pool had just been maintained with new sand and never cleared fully for our tastes but was bring. worked promptly. The air was in a couplebedrooms
Chris R., Collinsville, IL, 6.1.12
- The home was perfect, clean and well appointed, just the right size for our extended family (married children and grandkids). We enjoyed having the pool as an alternate to the beach. One small issue was dealt with quickly with lots of follow up. I would definitely recommend this home to others, and rent it again if going to Kona with the crowd.
Barbara S., Milwaukie, OR, 3.27.12
- We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Hawaii and the home - Hibiscus Hale. The house was in a very convenient location and very pleasant. Very well equiped and comfortable. We ventured out daily covering most of the island and were so pleased with the week.
Scott C., Boise, ID, 11.27.11
- This property was very clean, lovely. The kitchen was very well stocked. We very much enjoyed our time and would recommend this property to our friends.
Lorraine S., FRESNO, CA, 7.18.11
- Hibiscus Hale is perfect; roomy, quiet, well equipped. Pool and hot tub are divine, deck is glorious. The beds are very comfortable. Be prepared for some clouds in the afternoons (somewhat of a relief). Kitchen is very well equipped and easy to work in. The greenery surrounding the house and pool is beautiful. We didn't know what to do with our luggage on our last day between check out: 12:00 and our flight: 10:45pm... We loved the local beaches and they are easy to reach...ten min. away. The snorkeling was amazing, sea turtles and colorful fish abound. The food at Fish Hopper was delicious. Drive to the end of 270 and check out the view, breathtaking!
Mark and Elizabeth O., Germantown, TN, 3.20.11
- We all really enjoyed the house we rented it was very nice and very comfortable and clean. It fit all us very well. It did make us think that the house had two bedrooms with bathrooms connected and it only had one. we felt that was a bit misleading in the way it was worded online. The pool was great really a nice size pool, also very well kept. The one thing we had a problem with was laundry hadn't got brought in until just a couple of days before we left. So we had to buy some towels I think maybe just a misunderstanding for the laundry service as to when all the towels and sheets had to be dropped off. It is a very nice place to stay thank you
Tammy N., Chehalis, Wa, 3.7.11
- The unit was large and clean. Victoria was excellent to deal with. The worst part was that the vaccuflow did not work, Milton came by and said he would bring us another vaccuum but he never got there so I was a bit embarrassed that the floor was so dirty and with a baby crawling around it would have been nice to have. My advice for anyone renting this unit with small children would be that the pool is not heated and it was too cold for a baby to be in. I would however recommend this unit highly for family get togethers as it is large and well stocked, it could however use more mixing bowls. This is the second house we have rented from you and we have always been happily surprised with the units. If it hadn't have been for the vaccuum issue I would have rated it four out of five stars. Maholo!
Lori E., 2.1.11
- This property proved to be more beautiful than what we anticipated or the photos can detail. The apponitments were excellent. Plenty of dishes, stemware, pots and pans. We prepared and ate most of our meals in the home. We used the gas grill for several of our meals. Costco, Safeway and Wal-Mart are all just a short drive away. The home is also very close to downtown Kailua-Kona. The property manager and owners were very promt in addressing our questions about the property and solicited our input on any improvements that we had to offer that would make other users more comfortable. The property manager was so nice that the whole family now considers her a part of us. I took several pictures of the property to brag to our friends about our Christams vacation in beautiful Hawaii. We even went to the Christmas eve Island Breeze luau at the King Kamehameha Hotel. We also snorkeled at the Captain Cook monument with the Fairwind II charter. Saw green sea turtles at several of the beaches too. I have been to the Hawaiian Islands numerous times, but this Christmas trip was the best of all thanks to the beauty of the Hibiscus Hale, the friendly staff and having our immediate family together while the grandchildren are still young enough to appreciate it. We had our last meal before departing at the Knoa Inn in downtown. The selection of locally caught fish was excellent. It is out dream to revisit this home again. We would recommend it to anyone. My wife has already made a recommendation to a couple we met at the beach who had a large family gathering and was doing it by renting multiple rooms at an area hotel. They were paying more for the individual rooms than what the home is available for.
Fred M., Newman Lake, WA, 12.29.10
- Well appointed with beach chairs, mats, lots of dishes/pots & pans. Highlight of our trip was a visit to Pu'uohonua Honaunau.
Charles V., Orinda, CA, 10.27.10
- Aloha, Overall accommodations were great and just as described in pre-trip literature. Neighborhood is were maintained and very quiet. House, pool and grounds are aged, but very comfortable and well cared for. Very close to shopping and beaches, however Kona beaches are sparce and crowded. Much of the shoreline is rocky and unsuitable for beach goers. A short drive South to Spencer's Park is well woth the trip and rewards you with white sand beaches and shallow waters for kids to swim and play in. Hot tub did not work at all and the kitchen range oven stopped working two nights prior to our departure. Neither could be repaired prior to departure and the oven created a problem cooking our meals. Safeway Super Market located next door to Wal Mart offers free discount cards that will save you about 25% on grocery purchases. Just ask for a card the Customer Service Counter. We had a party of nine (six adults & three children) at the house for two full weeks and had plenty of room for all and more than enough sleeping accommodations. Aloha !!
Frank M., Floresville, TX, 8.10.10
- The Hibiscus Hale home on the Big Island was perfect for our family. The pool and yard were clean and well maintained. We especially loved the fact that the downstairs was large enough for our kids to have their "own" space. We will definitely come back in the future! Mahalo. To future guests...bring a knife sharpener if you plan on cooking. We easily refilled the propane and bar-b-que'd almost every night. With all the wonderful fresh fish at the local markets - who could resist? Aloha & see you soon.
Monica M., Portland, OR, 11.19.09
- We had a fantastic time at this house. It was everything we had hoped for in our vacation lodging. The house was clean, well kept, and very very well stocked with everything we needed as a family vacation, but could not take with us on the aircraft: beach towels, beach mats, sun umbrella, kids sand toys, etc. Bring your own soap and shampoo.... The beds were fantastic...better than ours at home unfortunately - and the kitchen very well equipped, including a stock of spices and other non-perishables. What we needed we bought locally. We purchased our food at the Sack and Save, and joined their "shopping club". It saved about 30% on our grocery bill, and cost nothing. The place is about 10 miles away from the Kona airport, in a quiet residential neighborhood. Even at night, the house was easy to find on our first arrival, and we had no difficuties with getting in. We never saw anyone else on the street, but it was a nice neighborhood nonetheless. The view from the back deck was beautiful at sunset, but the only way to see the ocean was from the crow's nest office room, up on the very top pf the house. To call this a 'partial ocean view" is a bit of a stretch, but I would not consider it a negative against the listing. Enjoy!
Scott & Ann T., Amherst, NY, 2.20.09